Humber

Heads22

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 09:23 PM)
I am hoping that Peavy is back May 8th in Seattle where I will be watching in person

I'm hoping the same ad well - he's got at least two minor leauge starts ahead as a best case.

One is planned for Friday the 29th. The next start would then be may 4th.

So, it looks like a best case is may 9th - which is against the halos.

:(

I was hoping to see him in Seattle too.

http://www.csnchicago.com/04/27/11/Sox-Dra...&feedID=661

Sox Drawer: Humber's long road back

White Sox starter Phil Humber took a no-hitter against the Yankees into the seventh inning on Monday night. (AP)Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Posted: 10:43 a.m.

By Chuck Garfien

CSNChicago.com

If everything in life went exactly in a straight line, Phil Humber would not have been flirting with a no-hitter against the New York Yankees on Monday night. He would have been doing it for them.

Drafted by the Yankees in the 29th round of the 2001 MLB draft, the Texas native chose to play college ball at Rice University instead.

It would be the first of many twists and turns in the baseball career for Humber, once a can’t-miss prospect thought to be a Porsche, who would soon find himself treated like a Pinto.

[READ & WATCH: Dunn drops back while he waits to go deep]

He’d help Rice win its first national championship in 2003. He’d be drafted by the Mets in 2004 as the third overall pick, one selection behind Justin Verlander, nine ahead of Cy Young frontrunner Jared Weaver.

He was making baseball look easy. Way too easy.

“When I got drafted by the Mets, I kind of just assumed I’d make a few starts in the minor leagues and just get my 10-15 year career in the big leagues,” Humber said by phone Tuesday. “I didn’t realize how hard it is to actually get here, and on top of that how much harder it is to stay.”

He wouldn’t stay long.

Thrown into the fire of a late-September pennant race in 2007, Humber made his first major league start against the Nationals, and gave up five runs in four-plus innings. Humber didn’t lose the game, but the Mets eventually did, not to mention a seven-game lead in the final three weeks of the season to the Phillies.

That winter, the Mets lost something else: their faith in their former No. 1 pick.

[READ: Will Santos be the man?]

Humber was shipped off to Minnesota in the blockbuster trade for Johan Santana. The hot shot prospect who didn’t seem to have a ceiling would soon be headed towards baseball’s basement.

The Twins would designate him for assignment after one season. The Royals waived him next, followed by the Athletics.

“I wasn’t having fun with baseball,” Humber recalled.

But while pitching winter ball in Puerto Rico in 2009, the light went on for Humber when he finally decided to turn the spotlight off.

“I just wanted to go forward and play for me and not think about expectations of being traded for a big-name pitcher or for being a first-round pick that hasn’t panned out. I just wanted to play for the fun of the game.”

Throwing a no-hitter against the Yankees for six innings? That sounds like fun. But watching the stone-faced Humber coast through one of the toughest lineups in baseball, you wouldn’t know it. He looked like a guy spacing out in math class, not throwing a no-no at Yankee Stadium against Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira and Robinson Cano.

[FOLLOW: Chuck Garfien on Twitter]

“I wasn’t thinking about who was at the plate and how many hits they had in their careers,” Humber said. “I was focused on making my pitches and as the game went on, I got more and more confident. When you’re confident out there, you’re able to really let your ability work. So I think that was the difference.”

There was also the advice he received as a 12-year-old from Robert Ellis, a former major-league pitcher (and White Sox draft pick in 1990).

“He would tell me, ‘If I walk up and you’re pitching, I don’t want to be able to tell by looking at you if you’re up by 10 runs or down by 10 runs.’ That’s kind of what I’ve always tried to keep in mind. And I think it helps because the other team doesn’t know if you’re having a good day or bad day by looking at your body language.”

Humber’s spot in the White Sox rotation is a currently a rental. He’s holding down the fort until Jake Peavy is healthy enough to return. But when Humber gets sent to the bullpen or even back down to the minors again, he won't be the shiny new car in front of the showroom getting all the attention. He'll be the stronger, wiser 28-year-old who got knocked down and battled back.

“Now I have a much greater appreciation for where I’m at," Humber said. "I don’t try to predict the future anymore. I don’t try to say, ‘If I do well, am I going to stay? Or if I don’t, am I going to get sent down?’ I just go up there and do the best I can and try to remain grateful for the opportunity and concentrate more on the moment.”

Moments like Monday night. There could be lots more of them.

Chuck Garfien hosts White Sox Pregame and Postgame Live on Comcast SportsNet with former Sox Bill Melton. Follow Chuck @ChuckGarfien on Twitter for up-to-the-minute Sox news and views.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)
Am I the only one that prefers Humber over Peavy?

After the past 2 seasons, I've kind of lost faith in Peavy, so I'd rather stick with Humber, even if it means the Sox carries a 6-man rotation.

You might be, yes. One's a former Cy Young winner. The other has played for like 6 teams.

After the past 2 seasons, I've kind of lost faith in Peavy, so I'd rather stick with Humber, even if it means the Sox carries a 6-man rotation.

It sounds crazy, but I don't completely disagree. Humber is pitching his ass off and we very well may have caught lightning in a bottle for this season. But we're just going to immediately relegate the guy who's arguably been our best starter so far to the bullpen when Injuries McGee comes back? I think it's neither fair nor the best move for the team.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
You might be, yes. One's a former Cy Young winner. The other has played for like 6 teams.

That's the key. He hasn't been nearly that caliber in two seasons. There are other former Cy Young winners that I don't want pitching for my team either.

Kinda. Because Peavy doesn't really exist. He's like death from family guy. But even a semi-healthy Peavy easily trumps Humber.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
It sounds crazy, but I don't completely disagree. Humber is pitching his ass off and we very well may have caught lightning in a bottle for this season. But we're just going to immediately relegate the guy who's arguably been our best starter so far to the bullpen when Injuries McGee comes back? I think it's neither fair nor the best move for the team.

That's the key. He hasn't been nearly that caliber in two seasons. There are other former Cy Young winners that I don't want pitching for my team either.

Well, for starters, we're paying Peavy a lot to start, so he's absolutely going to. He's still building arm strength and from all indications is on track right now to be up in the next two weeks. I'll still take my chances with Jake.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)

You mean, you WOULDN'T want Bartolo Colon in your starting 5?! ARE YOU NUTS!?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
No, he means Humber. Humber has been on Mets, Twins, Royals, and now the Sox. So, 4 teams.

I just thought it was dumb that he used how many teams he's been on to say that he's not good instead of the reasons he's not good.