What is Going Wrong With the Sox

Felix

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:38 AM)
The Sox lack of minor league development is really the big detractor there. The Twins advantage in scouting and development really outweighs the Sox ability to spend there. Having top 10 picks for a decade really did help them there, considering their biggest asset was a #1 overall pick.

having the best minor leagues means your not making your pro team better.

BTW go sox, lets get going.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 06:23 AM)
Who's with me?!! Let's do it!!!!!!!

I like you Pants, but I wish the Sox had your enthusiasm.

Paulie getting picked off without even sliding into first was not a good sign of the current state of the team.

QUOTE (whitem0nkey @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:56 AM)

It does give you the luxury of being able to trade away one of the game's best catching prospects (Ramos) for another team's closer without touching Revere, Hicks, Gibson, etc.

In the future, the Twins might rue not holding on to Ramos and moving Mauer to 3B or 1B, however.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (whitem0nkey @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:56 AM)

I didn't suggest they needed to have the best minor league system - the Twins don't and haven't for years - but having some semblance of production from your minor league system gives you 6 years of relatively cheap production. If you don't have that, you have to pay someone $4 million to put up a .270/.330/.350 line in left field.

I realize it's early but when you lose games the way we did by blowing leads in the 9th time and time again, a losing streak like this was bound to happen. Last nights loss is particularly disappointing. In any event, it's not over, but it's just plain unacceptable and we need to turn things around.

QUOTE (whitem0nkey @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 01:56 AM)

How do people not understand the value of prospects for depth in case of injuries or as trade bait!?

Probably the same people who get mad that the Sox can't make any moves at the trade deadline and not know why.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 11:02 PM)
The blown saves really demoralized this team...

100% agree, the bullpen totally destroyed all the momentum this team had to start the season. Every team is going to go through slumps hitting the ball, it happens, but this slump would be a lot easier to stomach if we had 2 or 3 of those bullpen meltdown games in our back pocket right now.

Also, I think Dunn rushed back too quickly from the appendectomy and he looks horrible at the plate right now. They should have just put the guy on the 15 day DL and let him fully recover. Intead he rushed back and he has 2 hits in the last week and is killing us in the 3 hole.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 07:59 AM)
Pretty sad when this thread has become an annual one.

Yeah, I mean, we haven't come up with a better idea for a thread title since this thread showed up in 2005 when that season fell apart. Our lack of creativity is astounding.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 10:04 PM)
Yes, a bullpen meltdown that couldn't possibly get any worse than it is now.. what are we at, 6 blown saves? and they all pretty much came at once.. With as long as the season is you have to look at certain situations like that and realize that its not going to be the norm..

I've no confidence in this bullpen and no reason to expect them to get better all of a sudden.

And I don't count on a 25-5 run, but I think this team is better than last years team.. And I don't think we need a run like that to be there at the end.. Were 7-10 people, do you think that KC and Cleveland are making playoff preparations right now?

You missed the point. You pointed to last year when they had a terrible start but still won 88 games. I pointed out that it took a fantastic 5 or 6 weeks of baseball to accomplish that and they still missed the playoffs. Outside of that stretch that started in early June and ended right around the AS break, the team was boring and very difficult to watch at times.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 09:46 PM)
this. (2 weeks into the season lol) well if ozzie should be fired then gardenhire should be fired too, they have a worse record than we do and i dont hear twins fans saying he should be gone because 2 weeks worth of baseball oh and francona too while were at it

LOL I agree with you Melissa - except for the " i dont hear twins fans saying he should be gone because 2 weeks worth of baseball" part. Visit a Twins forum sometimes and you'd be amazed. Those guys are in FULL meltdown mode. They're even calling for Mauer's head and Morneau is dead weight to them. They've been wanting Gardenhire fired since the Yankees punked them again last year.

We're not the only ones with this early season angst and second guessing if the manager. Oz is fine. Let's wait awhile.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 08:26 AM)
I've no confidence in this bullpen and no reason to expect them to get better all of a sudden.

Really?

Outside of Crain, who in this bullpen is not underperforming where they should be? Sale had a couple bad outings but is looking a little better, Thornton's clearly underperforming, Ohman is well below his career points, even Pena is worse than usual.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 07:37 AM)
Really?

Outside of Crain, who in this bullpen is not underperforming where they should be? Sale had a couple bad outings but is looking a little better, Thornton's clearly underperforming, Ohman is well below his career points, even Pena is worse than usual.

Bullpens can be pretty volatile and it's no uncommon for a guy to fall off a cliff one year to the next.

That said, I did overstate my case there. I think they'll be better than their terrible start so far, but I've no reason to expect them to be good or even above average.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 08:42 AM)
Bullpens can be pretty volatile and it's no uncommon for a guy to fall off a cliff one year to the next.

That said, I did overstate my case there. I think they'll be better than their terrible start so far, but I've no reason to expect them to be good or even above average.

But when a guy has been stable for 5 years, like Matty, or Ohman, there's every reason to conclude that this is a weird blip.

I posted a stat last year where typically Matt Thornton retired somewhere around 77% of the batters that he got 2 strikes on, and this year, he's down around 50%. That's the kind of thing that will work itself out.

Please put your negative comments in the Buh-bye threads. This is the positive thread that will actually inspire the team to turn it around and go all the way to the World Series. This is the thread that gives the team confidence. Dunn will go on to hit 40 bombs! Coop fixes Matt and he becomes the most dominant closer in the American League! The defense will improve! The offence will play up to expectations! The fans will stop booing the Sox at home! Tickets to the games will be difficult to get due to routine sell outs! KW will have money for a big trade deadline move but will not see how it would be possible to improve the team! Peavy comes back healthy and be an ACE the 2nd half including throughout the playoffs.

GO! SOX!!!!!!!!!

Being negative and telling a team they suck is counterproductive. They need to relax and play ball up to their talent level. I'm still ALL IN!!!!

I'm sure this will eventually turn into a Fire Greg Walker/ Don't fire Greg Walker discussion with the usual debate about how much he's really responsible for the Sox annual April batting woes. I'm not sure if making a change would help but i got to admit it seems like every year the Sox offense sucks in April.