Why not? The official "Alex Rios Sucks" Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ May 25, 2011 -> 04:37 AM)
My god you're just as terrible a pessimist as you were an optimist. I guess asking you to be sensible is just too much? :huh

I really don't think anything I said was that outlandish.

We're 11 back in loss column I believe.

We can't beat the Twins head to head, the Tigers head to head. We usually split with the Royals or are 2 games better in the season series.

I guess we may own Cleveland this year.

Being 11 back it will take a ridiculous streak just to get it to 5 or 6 games.

What did I say that is that outlandish?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 25, 2011 -> 12:10 AM)
Shack, you gotta cool it with that. Do you really believe Milk, fathom, caulfield, myself and so on have nothing better to do with our time? If we REALLY hated the White Sox and wanted them to lose just so we could b**** we'd be pretty pathetic. Pessimistic? No doubt. But we all love the team. Even when they suck. Which is quite often (by my standards) since 2005.

Not only that, but I find that many of that pessimistic fans are the ones that actually hang around and watch the crappy team late in the year, while the 'seashells and baloons' fans move onto to other things.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 24, 2011 -> 10:18 PM)
And the obvious problem with dumping Rios (and it's moot due to its impossibility now) is that it once again shows the complete disaster which has been CF for the White Sox since the Aaron Rowand years.

While never a huge Rowand fan, at least he was an average major leaguer or above for his time with us, especially considering his contract and age.

We've gone through Brian Anderson, Mackowiak, Jerry Owens, Erstad, Swisher, Pods, Griffey, Wise and probably forgetting at least 2-3 more...not to mention trading Anthony Webster, Chris B. Young and Jeremy Reed.

If nothing else, this development failure led to 2 other related fiascos..."reaching" for Alex Rios based on talent/potential alone AND having to trade for Juan Pierre at this stage in his career. I can't even remember the last time we really had a GOOD lead-off hitter over a long period of time. Maybe Lance Johnson or Tim Raines in his first couple of years with us, although he wasn't nearly the base-stealing threat he'd been at that point. Or Ray Durham.

And now Mitchell has a LONG LONG path to get to the point where he's even Carl Crawford Lite.

Regarding CF, I wonder how things would have worked out had Torri Hunter signed that contract with us.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ May 25, 2011 -> 04:35 AM)
Regarding CF, I wonder how things would have worked out had Torri Hunter signed that contract with us.

A lot of Twins fans have the idea that he was the KEY leader (along with Santana) who lit the fuse, so to speak, for that team.

That Mauer/Morneau simply are more or less like Thome/Konerko and not "in your face" clubhouse personalities.

I'd like to think we'd have at least one more AL Central title, but I'm not so sure about it. His signing, for that money and with a loss of at least 2-3 steps of footspeed defensively, wasn't the best for the Angels, either. Better than Rios, or Vernon Wells, of course, but not a clear plus, all things considered.

And then we would have ended up giving the Twins the draft picks, so maybe not the wisest move in the world.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
A lot of Twins fans have the idea that he was the KEY leader (along with Santana) who lit the fuse, so to speak, for that team.

That Mauer/Morneau simply are more or less like Thome/Konerko and not "in your face" clubhouse personalities.

I'd like to think we'd have at least one more AL Central title, but I'm not so sure about it. His signing, for that money and with a loss of at least 2-3 steps of footspeed defensively, wasn't the best for the Angels, either. Better than Rios, or Vernon Wells, of course, but not a clear plus, all things considered.

And then we would have ended up giving the Twins the draft picks, so maybe not the wisest move in the world.

Talent wise, it's not that we would have gotten the best of Torii Hunter, given his diminishing skills.

I was thnking that perhaps if we got Hunter, it would have precluded the 'comedy of errors' that ensued after he rebuffed the Sox offer; ie, trading Gio Gonzalez and other prospects for Swisher, trading Swisher away and getting nothing back in return, and claiming a very bad contract in Alex Rios.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 25, 2011 -> 12:05 AM)
But the White Sox can't point at the Twins having Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, and Johan Santana? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Specifically this year, nope.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 25, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
Well then the Cubs sure as hell can't point to Albert Pujols leading the Cardinals to anything.

Fine, teh Cubs suck. Pretty sure I said that already, if not here in another thread. The Sox have been just as bad with money this year as the Cubs and Mets.

Wite, I respect the hell out of you as a poster, but you really can't let a small thing go, hell you corrected me in the "I am drunk" thread.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 25, 2011 -> 01:00 PM)
Fine, teh Cubs suck. Pretty sure I said that already, if not here in another thread. The Sox have been just as bad with money this year as the Cubs and Mets.

Wite, I respect the hell out of you as a poster, but you really can't let a small thing go, hell you corrected me in the "I am drunk" thread.

For Christ's sake, there are still a hundred games to go. It's entirely possible that Cleveland is at or below .500 2 months from now too and that the Sox are winning the division, and then the Sox could still easily blow it. And, it's a matter of opinion, but I'd say the Cubs and Mets have both been terrible.

And that correction was more about goofing around, I didn't mean anything serious by it whatsoever.

I really don't think anything I said was that outlandish.

We're 11 back in loss column I believe.

We can't beat the Twins head to head, the Tigers head to head. We usually split with the Royals or are 2 games better in the season series.

I guess we may own Cleveland this year.

Being 11 back it will take a ridiculous streak just to get it to 5 or 6 games.

What did I say that is that outlandish?

While I am just as skeptical as most here, you've flat out said "It's over" numerous times now and that's just silly. You talked about how horrible they've been "lately" when "lately" is when they've gone on a good streak and played the best baseball they have all year for the most part. I wonder if you don't pay attention or of you just don't know any better.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ May 25, 2011 -> 08:37 PM)
While I am just as skeptical as most here, you've flat out said "It's over" numerous times now and that's just silly. You talked about how horrible they've been "lately" when "lately" is when they've gone on a good streak and played the best baseball they have all year for the most part. I wonder if you don't pay attention or of you just don't know any better.

I pay attention. I watch most of the games.

Why is it silly when I say it's over? It's my perception, my opinion that this team buried itself and doesn't have "it."

I do hope I'm wrong.

If I've said they've been horrible lately, I don't know when I said that. I realize until this series they'd been winning series of late.

I'd love it if they could start dumping parts and "rebuild" cause what they are doing now isn't good.

As far as Rios, he's been a big bust. Had some good games as a Sox, but a bust.

Edited by greg775

Why?

Oh I know, cause there are 100 games left, blah blah.

Yes. Nothing else needs to be said. I am firmly in agreement with you actually, and in recent years they have indicated likely they will continue falling flat, they are doing relatively well lately and 1st place right now is the f***ing Indians... it IS way to early to officially announce this season over.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ May 25, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
Because... it's not remotely true? lol.

Would you bet your house the White Sox were going to come back and win the AL Central?

I think not, even if you were more or a gambler than KW. You win, you have Anna Kournikova's or a Russian heiress' Florida mansion. Lose, and you're homeless. Take that bet?

20-25% odds of making it, well, maybe not "remote" but not close to good either.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2011 -> 10:24 PM)
Would you bet your house the White Sox were going to come back and win the AL Central?

I think not, even if you were more or a gambler than KW. You win, you have Anna Kournikova's or a Russian heiress' Florida mansion. Lose, and you're homeless. Take that bet?

20-25% odds of making it, well, maybe not "remote" but not close to good either.

I ain't betting anything on any sports team. You think they will win because you are a fan of that team period. Winning is fun and losing is sad, but it ain't the end of the world. I believe this team can still compete for the division title.

Definitely not. But there's a difference between probability and fact. I get tired of people throwing words like "official" around when... it's not. And again, consider what the rest of the division looks like.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 25, 2011 -> 04:59 PM)
I love these pedantic arguments.

J4L rule #1: Juan Pierre is to never be complimented. Even on the rare occasion he does something positive.

Rule #2: Make fun of and mock Wite at all times.

Rule #3: Don't use words I don't know the meaning of. I've never heard that word in my life.