Jackson & Teahen to TOR for Frasor & Stewart (RHP)

macsandz

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
Overcoaching happens in our system.

And LaRussa can be a punk and a douche big time, so I'm not shocked at all that he would go to the media because he doesn't like Rasmus. Although it's not a great indicator that Rasmus is a good character, it doesn't solidify it either.

I agree that LaRussa can be a massive jerk at times and can alienate players. Scott Rolen is a good example.

The bottom line, though, is that LaRussa knows how to win. At the very least, he knows a hell of a lot more about winning than Rasmus and his daddy. If I were Rasmus, I'd buy into LaRussa's system because it has a long track record of working.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
i remember once. and he ditched the first baseman's mitt for his own glove.

You're right, I looked it up. It was his only time at 1st in his whole career, actually.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
I agree that LaRussa can be a massive jerk at times and can alienate players. Scott Rolen is a good example.

The bottom line, though, is that LaRussa knows how to win. At the very least, he knows a hell of a lot more about winning than Rasmus and his daddy. If I were Rasmus, I'd buy into LaRussa's system because it has a long track record of working.

My issue with this situation is that there are veterans in St Louis that should have been able to serve as a buffer between Big Bad LaRussa and poor little Colby Rasmus.

Holiday and Berkman could have taken this kid under their wings and protected him a bit, if there really was this huge rift between manager and player. It seems as though ALL the Cardinals coaches expressed frustration with this kid, not just Tony LaRussa.

In the game I've digested thus far - I'm not seeing poor breaking stuff other than his tendency to leave them up.

If you keep an eye to when it's down - it's pretty nasty.

I'm looking forward to watching his most recent 2 starts - as one he gave up 6 in 3.2 IP and another 7IP 2ER QS

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
If that player was Sale, good move KW! Sale has ACE potential if a transition to starter goes smoothly.

That's who it was. They don't want to take on more salary when their top priority is keeping Pujols.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
My issue with this situation is that there are veterans in St Louis that should have been able to serve as a buffer between Big Bad LaRussa and poor little Colby Rasmus.

Holiday and Berkman could have taken this kid under their wings and protected him a bit, if there really was this huge rift between manager and player. It seems as though ALL the Cardinals coaches expressed frustration with this kid, not just Tony LaRussa.

Rasmus may have a prima donna attitude and with his father reacting must have been babied his whole life.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
That's who it was. They don't want to take on more salary when their top priority is keeping Pujols.

Sale alone could have more value than Rasmus within the next year or so. Time will tell.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 08:38 PM)
You know, I just thought that this is our first real chance to see how a guy does being coached by Coop then immediately coached by Duncan.

LOL, I swear I had the same thought earlier today. I don't know how much Duncan can do in the last two months, or how much of Jackson's performance will be based on his dealings with Coop. But so many teams have tried Jackson and dumped him, now you have two of the best pitching coaches in the league taking a shot. I actually think Coop did good with him, but he was still plagued with the same inconsistencies.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
Yes RT @jim_reedy: @CSNChi_Beatnik Was that why it wasn't Jackson-for-Rasmus, because St. Louis wouldn't take Teahen's contract?

YIKES. Teahen. I dislike you greatly right now.

I saw this too but then I was looking at his earlier tweets tonight and saw this one.

"Rumor mill had it twisted; KW was told not to ADD payroll--not that he had to CUT. TOR deal bought some wiggle room"

Which made me question, If your staring a player with the caliber of Rasmus and you doing necessarily have to cut (according to him) then the sox should have just done Jackson-for-Rasmus which would have still freed up a tiny amount of money since Jackson would be gone and go from there.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 08:46 PM)
LOL, I swear I had the same thought earlier today. I don't know how much Duncan can do in the last two months, or how much of Jackson's performance will be based on his dealings with Coop. But so many teams have tried Jackson and dumped him, now you have two of the best pitching coaches in the league taking a shot. I actually think Coop did good with him, but he was still plagued with the same inconsistencies.

E-Jax did really, really good with Coop initially.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 12:28 AM)
And then Jackson did as Jackson does.

Not so fast. Saying that Jackson did as Jackson does would imply that he returned to some lessor form... which isn't the case at all. In his time with the Whitesox which equates to roughly one full season, he posted these numbers:

30 S 196.2 IP 11-9 3.66 ERA 174 K 57 BB 1.342 WHIP 114 ERA+ 3.05 K/BB

Those are really impressive numbers pitching for a team that demonstrated trouble scoring enough runs to support quality starts.

Comparing those numbers to his career averages, he is either entering his prime years and has it figured out (Thanks Dr Cooper) or Don Cooper is just some kind of magician....

31 S 194 IP 11-11 4.53 ERA 145 K 81 BB 1.644 WHIP 88 ERA+ 1.38 K/BB

Bottom line is Edwin Jackson pitched exceedingly well for the Sox relative to his career numbers and Kenny sold high on him.

QUOTE (Anderson Cooper's Quivering @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 08:43 AM)
Not so fast. Saying that Jackson did as Jackson does would imply that he returned to some lessor form... which isn't the case at all. In his time with the Whitesox which equates to roughly one full season, he posted these numbers:

30 S 196.2 IP 11-9 3.66 ERA 174 K 57 BB 1.342 WHIP 114 ERA+ 3.05 K/BB

Those are really impressive numbers pitching for a team that demonstrated trouble scoring enough runs to support quality starts.

Comparing those numbers to his career averages, he is either entering his prime years and has it figured out (Thanks Dr Cooper) or Don Cooper is just some kind of magician....

31 S 194 IP 11-11 4.53 ERA 145 K 81 BB 1.644 WHIP 88 ERA+ 1.38 K/BB

Bottom line is Edwin Jackson pitched exceedingly well for the Sox relative to his career numbers and Kenny sold high on him.

Edwin Jackson with the White Sox in 2010: 3.24 ERA. Edwin Jackson with the White Sox in 2011: 3.92 ERA. I'd say that constitutes as reverting to a lesser form.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
Edwin Jackson with the White Sox in 2010: 3.24 ERA. Edwin Jackson with the White Sox in 2011: 3.92 ERA. I'd say that constitutes as reverting to a lesser form.

And only due to him pitching very well against Detriot and Cleveland's AA lineup has he finally gotten that era under 4. He's the very definition of inconsistent. And he always will be. lol@whoever signs him to a 4 year, $45-50 million contract next winter.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
But having nothing to do with his BABIP being abnormally high or his BB/9 being a full walk better than his career average?

BABIP can fluctuate quite a bit from year to year. His K's are down and he's improved with his control (though his command sucks). His HR rate is WAYYYYYYYY down.