2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 11:04 PM)
They're much, much, much smarter and cheaper ways of acquiring OF depth. I can appreciate everybody wants Rios, Dunn and Peavy gone. But coming up with these ridiculous scenarios (not just you hi8is) that make no sense at all for the non-White Sox side is not going to make the impossible possible.

it's still fun to sit here in January - broken hand and all - just chillin and thinkin of some wild possibilities.

Give me Feb. 26th / March games please. :)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 12:47 AM)
If the Cubs can dump Zambrano on someone, surely we can find a taker for Rios......right? Right? RIGHT!?!?!?!??!

Yeah, but it was the spend thrift Marlins with Ozzie Guillen as the circus ringleader who took Zambrano. And...the Cubs had to give the Marlins $15 million. However, using that logic, the Sox shouldn't have to chip in as much percentage-wise for someone to take Rios. I thought no one would even consider taking Zambrano, so maybe there's hope. I'm willing to ride it out, though. Maybe the guy can bounce back...maybe, hopefully...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 01:04 AM)
They're much, much, much smarter and cheaper ways of acquiring OF depth. I can appreciate everybody wants Rios, Dunn and Peavy gone. But coming up with these ridiculous scenarios (not just you hi8is) that make no sense at all for the non-White Sox side is not going to make the impossible possible.

Yup, people need to accept the fact that we are stuck with Peavy, Rios, and Dunn until the trade deadline bare minimum. If Peavy is both healthy and performing well, then he should be fairly easy to move by then. However, no one is going to take on Rios or Dunn until they've proven last year was anomalies for them. That may be 4 months of strong performance for some GMs and maybe a full season for others. There's no way of really knowing for sure and until they actually produce like quality players the point is moot.

So Peavy will definitely be gone after next season and everyone would move Rios at a drop of a hat no matter how well he was producing at the time, but what about Dunn? If he comes out strong in 2012 and looks like the player he was prior to last year do we keep him? I think that's a tougher question to answer. IMO, his consistencely prior to 2011 would proably convince me that 2011 was an outlier and that we should keep, especially with the void of left-handed hitting in the organization.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 06:18 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2530926:date=Jan 5, 2012 -> 01:04 AM:name=Jordan4life)-->
<!--quotec-->They're much, much, much smarter and cheaper ways of acquiring OF depth. I can appreciate everybody wants Rios, Dunn and Peavy gone. But coming up with these ridiculous scenarios (not just you hi8is) that make no sense at all for the non-White Sox side is not going to make the impossible possible.

Yup, people need to accept the fact that we are stuck with Peavy, Rios, and Dunn until the trade deadline bare minimum. If Peavy is both healthy and performing well, then he should be fairly easy to move by then. However, no one is going to take on Rios or Dunn until they've proven last year was anomalies for them. That may be 4 months of strong performance for some GMs and maybe a full season for others. There's no way of really knowing for sure and until they actually produce like quality players the point is moot.

So Peavy will definitely be gone after next season and everyone would move Rios at a drop of a hat no matter how well he was producing at the time, but what about Dunn? If he comes out strong in 2012 and looks like the player he was prior to last year do we keep him? I think that's a tougher question to answer. IMO, his consistencely prior to 2011 would proably convince me that 2011 was an outlier and that we should keep, especially with the void of left-handed hitting in the organization.

I agree about Dunn. If he comes out and plays like he did prior to the 2011 season, you keep him. The Sox need that left-handed power bat, and aside from 2011, Dunn fits that description perfectly. However, if 2012 is a mirror image of 2011, the Sox are in trouble. They won't be able to move him if he's hitting .190 with a handful of HRs by July. Last season was abyssmal for the big guy, but he can make us all forget about 2011 by being the guy we hoped for.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 07:06 AM)
Yeah, but it was the spend thrift Marlins with Ozzie Guillen as the circus ringleader who took Zambrano. And...the Cubs had to give the Marlins $15 million. However, using that logic, the Sox shouldn't have to chip in as much percentage-wise for someone to take Rios. I thought no one would even consider taking Zambrano, so maybe there's hope. I'm willing to ride it out, though. Maybe the guy can bounce back...maybe, hopefully...

The Cubs also took on a player who was first-year arb eligible, so technically they took on about $17 million or so.

Basically, the Sox can move Rios if they eat $40 million. Which we already knew.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 08:26 AM)
I agree about Dunn. If he comes out and plays like he did prior to the 2011 season, you keep him. The Sox need that left-handed power bat, and aside from 2011, Dunn fits that description perfectly. However, if 2012 is a mirror image of 2011, the Sox are in trouble. They won't be able to move him if he's hitting .190 with a handful of HRs by July. Last season was abyssmal for the big guy, but he can make us all forget about 2011 by being the guy we hoped for.

I still lean towards moving Dunn the second he becomes moveable without eating his deal. By the deadline this year, he'll be nearly 2 years older than he was when he signed his deal, and he'll no longer be on a team that was built to compete this season. If you can move him at that point without eating the $35 million he has remaining, maybe to Torotno or Seattle or someone who needs a LH bat/DH, you have to do it. Even if it makes anyone unhappy about getting rid of a big name, producing player as a salary dump. Clear that $14 million and the next offseason becomes quite a bit easier.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 12:47 AM)
If the Cubs can dump Zambrano on someone, surely we can find a taker for Rios......right? Right? RIGHT!?!?!?!??!

Sure if we took on say $10 million per year of his deal, to equate to about the same percentage as of the Cubs did.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 06:18 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2530926:date=Jan 5, 2012 -> 01:04 AM:name=Jordan4life)-->
<!--quotec-->They're much, much, much smarter and cheaper ways of acquiring OF depth. I can appreciate everybody wants Rios, Dunn and Peavy gone. But coming up with these ridiculous scenarios (not just you hi8is) that make no sense at all for the non-White Sox side is not going to make the impossible possible.

Starting to put together the picture of his 2011 is interesting. We know the guy had an emergency appendix surgery his first week in Chicago. Add to that the struggles of having a sick son from the reports, plus seeing the Joe and Oney tweets about Dunn being one of the worst guys that Ozzie managed (along with Swisher and Lee). Then add in the switch to DH, which Frank Thomas struggled with himself, (and spoke at length about the difficulties during this season) and you have a short of perfect storm for a really bad season. Maybe it is just the homer side in me, but I really wonder how poised he is for a big bounce back season. He has a manager that is much more easy going, a situation he is now more familiar with, a lot less pressure and expectations, plus it sounds like his kid is better.

Hopefully it all works out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 08:02 AM)
Starting to put together the picture of his 2011 is interesting. We know the guy had an emergency appendix surgery his first week in Chicago. Add to that the struggles of having a sick son from the reports, plus seeing the Joe and Oney tweets about Dunn being one of the worst guys that Ozzie managed (along with Swisher and Lee). Then add in the switch to DH, which Frank Thomas struggled with himself, (and spoke at length about the difficulties during this season) and you have a short of perfect storm for a really bad season. Maybe it is just the homer side in me, but I really wonder how poised he is for a big bounce back season. He has a manager that is much more easy going, a situation he is now more familiar with, a lot less pressure and expectations, plus it sounds like his kid is better.

Hopefully it all works out.

Wasn't that really just one guy on this site who "heard" something?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
Wasn't that really just one guy on this site who "heard" something?

That's was a concern for me as well. I am surprised that SOMEONE didn't write something about it in the media or it was at least mentioned several times by various sources privately.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 09:29 AM)
That's was a concern for me as well. I am surprised that SOMEONE didn't write something about it in the media or it was at least mentioned several times by various sources privately.

It could be as simple as Dunn didn't really talk about it, or he asked people to not write about it. Who knows.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 07:49 AM)
I still lean towards moving Dunn the second he becomes moveable without eating his deal. By the deadline this year, he'll be nearly 2 years older than he was when he signed his deal, and he'll no longer be on a team that was built to compete this season. If you can move him at that point without eating the $35 million he has remaining, maybe to Torotno or Seattle or someone who needs a LH bat/DH, you have to do it. Even if it makes anyone unhappy about getting rid of a big name, producing player as a salary dump. Clear that $14 million and the next offseason becomes quite a bit easier.

The AL Central, being what it is, makes a decision like keeping Dunn more difficult. The Sox can still compete in their division as the team is constructed right now. Especially if Rios, Dunn, and Beckham have decent years. By the trade deadline, the Sox could be right at or just above .500 and be near the top of the division. Knowing the way KW does business, Dunn wouldn't be going anywhere if he was performing well. I just have a feeling that 2012 is going to frustrating for this alone.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)

This is what I would agree is the right decision also. If Dunn starts to produce some team that couldn't afford a Fielder or a Pujols contract might be willing to fork out $14M a year to Adam Dunn thinking they had a HR and RBI man that could help their team and they saw themselves as a contender. He might be better off in the NL though?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)
It could be as simple as Dunn didn't really talk about it, or he asked people to not write about it. Who knows.

Given a choice between Dunn asking people not to mention it with every media person doing it/not mentioning it once, and it being bulls***, I'll take the latter every single time.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
Given a choice between Dunn asking people not to mention it with every media person doing it/not mentioning it once, and it being bulls***, I'll take the latter every single time.

Dunn doesn't seem like a media type at all. I can't even remember anything from an interview with him last year. Some guys don't the need to dryhump a microphone anytime it is in the room.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 08:12 AM)
I would love to see Rios have a great year in 2012, just to see the same people calling for a trade of him at all costs then want to keep him because he's a proven producer and winner.

The minute he could be moved with the Sox paying no more than half his salary, he will be gone.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)
Dunn doesn't seem like a media type at all. I can't even remember anything from an interview with him last year. Some guys don't the need to dryhump a microphone anytime it is in the room.

That's not my point. If this story is out there, you think not a single writer would mention it even in passing?

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 12:26 PM)
The minute he could be moved with the Sox paying no more than half his salary, he will be gone.

Again, not my point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)

Every third word when he gives an interview is "um", if I recall correctly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
If the guy won't talk about it, how do you write about?

You're really Balta-ing this conversation. I didn't say that someone would write an entire article about it, but if there are rumors out there that this happened, you don't think a single line in one article by the dozens of baseball writers in Chicago or a twitter post or anything would appear?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
You're really Balta-ing this conversation. I didn't say that someone would write an entire article about it, but if there are rumors out there that this happened, you don't think a single line in one article by the dozens of baseball writers in Chicago or a twitter post or anything would appear?

I don't find the idea that a reporter doesn't report on something odd. It happens all of the time. We find out lots of stories way after the fact.