2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 04:02 PM)
At any rate, WHY WHY WHY haven't the Marlins signed Juan Pierre yet? What gives? Rowand was bad enough, but...just saying.

Ozzie tweeted today that he couldn't believe a "Juan Pierce" wasn't signed yet. I'm guessing there's a misspellink.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 07:41 AM)
Yes, this guy was a Mets top prospect OF who busted. He was more highly regarded than Milledge, and for about 2 years people were dying to get their hands on some of these Mets prospects like Pelfrey, Milledge, or Martinez.

The risks of rebuilding.

Look at he Twins trade for Santana as compared to what they passed up. They passed on Jon Lester and Phil Hughes for Phil Humber and Carlos Gomez. They are a good organization that failed on this trade which is why rebuilding is not as great as people make it out to be. Suck for two years and then ride off into the sunset as a dynasty.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
The risks of rebuilding.

Look at he Twins trade for Santana as compared to what they passed up. They passed on Jon Lester and Phil Hughes for Phil Humber and Carlos Gomez. They are a good organization that failed on this trade which is why rebuilding is not as great as people make it out to be. Suck for two years and then ride off into the sunset as a dynasty.

Not only that, but there was an insinuation (I was guilty of it was much as anyone) that seemingly anyone in the Twins' front office could walk on water, as apparently Terry Ryan did for much of his tenure.

Bill Smith did us a TON of favors during his tenure there.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
They already signed Carlos Silva, Aaron Cook, & Vincente Padilla. They will be fine.

Those are the type of signings that serve as a backup plan if you can't get the guy you actually want.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
Signing a boatload of suck worked for the Yankees last year.

Sometimes emergency crash landings work out alright too, but no one ever thinks it's a good idea to plan on one.

FWIW...

I was in Bakersfield, CA last weekend visiting with family, nephew who plays baseball is coached by Brent Morel's old hitting coach. Morel was also in town promoting his charity. Long story short, got the chance to chat with the old coach, told him I'm a Sox fan and he said we're in for a surprise this year, that what we saw in September was what we can expect to see next season. Says Morel is the smartest player he's ever worked with and that he's made the adjustment to the majors and has been working his ass off during the off-season.

Again, take it for what it's worth. But it was encouraging to hear.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 12:59 AM)
FWIW...

I was in Bakersfield, CA last weekend visiting with family, nephew who plays baseball is coached by Brent Morel's old hitting coach. Morel was also in town promoting his charity. Long story short, got the chance to chat with the old coach, told him I'm a Sox fan and he said we're in for a surprise this year, that what we saw in September was what we can expect to see next season. Says Morel is the smartest player he's ever worked with and that he's made the adjustment to the majors and has been working his ass off during the off-season.

Again, take it for what it's worth. But it was encouraging to hear.

I can't remember where I heard this, but I also heard that all season Morel was worried about losing his job, so he was just swinging for contact, trying not to strike out. Then in September, once he no longer had to worry about being sent down, he started to feel loose at the plate and swing normally. Maybe if Ventura can instill come assurance and confidence in him, September can be a thing of the future.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 12:37 AM)
I can't remember where I heard this, but I also heard that all season Morel was worried about losing his job, so he was just swinging for contact, trying not to strike out. Then in September, once he no longer had to worry about being sent down, he started to feel loose at the plate and swing normally. Maybe if Ventura can instill come assurance and confidence in him, September can be a thing of the future.

I think Morel is the one player, aside from Reed/Sale, that I'm really looking forward to next season. His september was the lone bright spot to end the season.