2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 06:31 PM)
Am I supposed to knwo well enough who this is that I'm motivated to click on the link for some reason?

You should.

He was one of the most important members of the commissioner's staff for the last 2 decades.

Interestingly, he was also in charge of the umpires earlier this decade, before being "demoted" from that role.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill Shaikin ‏@BillShaikin

MLB, MLBPA agree to appoint expert panel to advise on ADD/ADHD approvals, which outside experts consider abnormally high in baseball.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi

hGH blood testing during spring training, during the off-season, and for reasonable cause formally added to #MLB drug program.

Also: "Modifying Appeals procedures, including circumstances under which procedural deviations will result in invalidation of test results."

Call that one the Ryan Braun Rule.

Baseball Instinct, LLC · 18 like this

2 minutes ago ·

Astros sign #1 pick Carlos Correa. Deal rumored to be around $5mm which is about $2.2mm under the slot. That will give them enough to sign either McCullers or Virant. Impressive haul if they land either.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 06:39 AM)
Sox have to have an advantage, schedule-wise. They play the four worst teams in the NL Central while avoiding the top two, and the Dodgers are without Kemp.

Pirates are the 2nd best team in the NL Central? :o

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 01:12 AM)
70 steals already?

Good god, that's like the days of Raines, Henderson and Vince Coleman, Donell and Otis Nixon, Willie Wilson, etc.

And to only like 13 CS. Last year he had 103 SB to 20 SB I believe. That's about an 84% clip. Rickey Henderson stole an assload of bases, but at a clip under 81%. I don't know how well Billy's numbers will translate at the major league level, but the fact that he can actually hit, and draws walks will help. God, I would love to see this kid run.

So true:

Dave Zirin ‏@EdgeofSports

No sport on earth does a worse job marketing its own players than Major League Baseball.

Dave Zirin ‏@EdgeofSports

In Joey Votto's last 50 at bats, he has 28 hits and 7 walks. He also could walk down most streets in utter anonymity.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
So true:

Compared to how the NBA worships its players to the point that the refs call fouls based on how famous guys are, I would rather know less about Joey Votto and have a quality league. It's not like Joey Votto is hurting for money.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
Compared to how the NBA worships its players to the point that the refs call fouls based on how famous guys are, I would rather know less about Joey Votto and have a quality league. It's not like Joey Votto is hurting for money.

You're also a die hard baseball fan. MLB is likely struggling to get more casual fans to turn into die hards.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)
You're also a die hard baseball fan. MLB is likely struggling to get more casual fans to turn into die hards.

The Reds averaged under 20,000 per game for a 3 game series this week. That shouldn't happen if you have a player as good as Votto. (Their attendance was good this weekend, but that was cause of Detroit/interleague)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)

My wife sits through baseball with me, sometimes. She shows genuine interest in Verlander starts, because he's the one guy who gets himself out there. MLB has one commercial that has Kemp, Paulie, Verlander, and McCutchen, among others, in it, that she enjoys and is engaged by.

Rip NBA officiating all you want, but their advertising is bar-none the best. Your point is kind of off in the fact that this was a comment on marketing and not the credibility of a league's officiating. To use my wife again, she loves the NBA and the fact that she knows a bit about the players, be that what's given her via marketing or not.

The MLB certainly could do well better for themselves by letting us see these players more and by promoting them.

Edited by Steve9347

Sergio Santos is the new Mike Sirotka. Sorry Jays.

Sergio Santos felt renewed discomfort in his right shoulder after throwing a bullpen session last week.

"Because of that discomfort, which can be normal for a guy ramping back up, we've had to slow him down," Jays manager John Farrell said. Santos has been on the DL since April 22 and remains out indefinitely. Casey Janssen will continue handling Toronto's save chances.