2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 31, 2012 -> 08:56 PM)
Carlos Gonzalez was traded twice. I repeat: Carlos Gonzalez has been traded twice.

That must mean there are two message boards with stupid threads about what if they had kept him

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2012 -> 07:12 AM)
Morrow OK after taking liner to right leg

By Gregor Chisholm / MLB.com | 05/31/12 12:08 AM ET

TORONTO -- The Blue Jays narrowly avoided a devastating injury on Wednesday night, when after taking a batted ball off his right shin, Brandon Morrow came away with only a contusion.

Morrow sustained the injury during the seventh inning of a 4-1 victory over the Orioles, and things originally appeared much worse. The right-hander was struck by a line drive off the bat of Wilson Betemit, and his right foot immediately went numb.

He feared the worst, that his leg might have been broken, but X-rays came back negative, and he is listed as day to day.

play video

"It hurt a lot, my foot was numb, and then it felt like it was swelling up," said Morrow, who allowed just one run in 6 1/3 innings and earned the win. "I guess there's a nerve in there that it hit or something, but luckily it hit the muscle on the side of my shin. An inch or an inch and a half over, and it could have been a different story."

Morrow isn't scheduled to pitch again until Wednesday because of a pair of looming off-days. The extra rest normally would be a nuisance for a pitcher looking to stay on a regular schedule, but in this case the added time should be enough to prevent Morrow from missing an outing.

" just got done icing it, and it's feeling OK now," he said. "The more I walk on it, the better it feels.

"I'm standing and moving around on it OK. [it's] just a bruise, so we'll just keep working on it and should be all right. Those two days off in between helps out a lot."

Professional Athletes find the darndest way to hurt themselves.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/danny-kn...er-and-a-hitter

Posted: 11:52 am June 01, 2012

With money to spend, Dodgers will seek a pitcher and a hitter

By Danny Knobler | Baseball Insider

The financial power of the Dodgers' new ownership group could really be seen on next winter's free-agent market, where the team is expected to go all-out in an effort to sign Cole Hamels.

"They love him, and they're saying they'll do whatever it takes to get him," said one rival club official, who speaks regularly to Dodgers people.

But the Dodgers will likely try to flex their financial muscle on the July trade market, too.

With their team sitting in first place in the National League West, Dodgers officials have sent out word that they will try hard to acquire both a starting pitcher and a hitter before the July 31 non-waiver deadline.

"The one thing that won't be an obstacle for them is money," the rival official said.

The Dodger farm system hasn't had nearly as good a start as the parent club, so the team is limited in terms of prospects who would be coveted trade chips. The solution for the Dodgers could be to go after players with bigger contracts, and offer to take on more of the money.

One position player the Dodgers have scouted is third baseman Kevin Youkilis, who the Red Sox intend to trade. Youkilis is pricey, with a $12 million contract this year and a $13 million option (with a $1 million buyout) for 2013.

As colleague Jon Heyman wrote this week, the trade market looks to be strong in starting pitching. As of now, it's believed that the Dodgers are looking at multiple pitchers who could be available.

The Dodgers rotation has been one of the game's best for the first two months of the season, with a 3.07 ERA that ranks just behind the Nationals' MLB-leading 2.95. But Ted Lilly just went on the disabled list, and the Dodgers seem to have some concerns that the rest of their starters won't maintain their early season success.

Offensively, the Dodgers could use immediate help, with star center fielder Matt Kemp back on the disabled list and expected to miss a month. Youkilis would be a fit, because the Dodgers have been getting almost no offense out of third base.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)
DKnobler ‏@DKnobler

Red Sox are telling teams they definitely intend to trade Youkilis.

Youk in the 5-hole would be scary good.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 10:19 PM)
Great comeback story for Santana.

Pitchers rarely come back from shoulder problems and get back close to where they were before, as opposed to TJ.

I like Santana, especially since he's not a Twin.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 08:07 AM)
http://aleastbound.com/2012/05/28/should-t...e-colby-rasmus/

Article about the disappointing Colby Rasmus and possibility of trading him for pitching (not sure why Gavin Floyd would be mentioned, along with Joe Blanton) to open up CF for Anthony Gose.

Expresses doubts he'll ever be able to hit LHP well.

I thought that was the most one-sided trade in the history of trades though? Did AA make a mistake?

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 11:25 PM)
Random thought: I absolutely love watching MLB tonight when they're doing a live look in and the studio guys talk about the game. So funny and awesome. I love Harold Renoylds

I dont think I could live without the MLB network...

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 12:33 AM)
Lol, research Brewers' Lucroy and how he injured himself with the help of his wife. Unbelievable.

Wow, not sure how, but I quoted the wrong article in my post. Lucroy's ridiculous injury is what I was referring to. There are so many good ones in all of the major sports. It's almost to the point that unless an injury happens during a game where everyone can see, there will be an absurd story.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 01:56 AM)
Looks like Angels figured it out, I think any hope of the second Wild Card spot coming form AL Central is fading away.. AL East and West going to lock it up?

The AL east has zero teams right now where the front runners can fatten up their records. That will at least keep the Central teams competitive for the WC if we can beat KC and minny.

Minny also autocorrects to ninny. I wanted to note that.