2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:58 PM)
MLB Network quoting Sports Illustrated that Joey Votto has never pulled a ball foul into the stands during his entire MLB career. And just like a few years ago, he hasn't had an infield pop up all year.

I saw the no pop up thing yesterday. Amazing.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 06:33 AM)
http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=320619120

Joel Peralta tossed for having a significant amount of pine tar on his glove, and Maddon calls it bush league that he was called out.

I havent liked Maddon too much this season.

Yeah, its still cheating and if he knows the other team knows why would he use that glove during a game? Maddon really is lookin like a crybaby this year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)
Yeah, its still cheating and if he knows the other team knows why would he use that glove during a game? Maddon really is lookin like a crybaby this year.

old and cranky

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 08:16 PM)
R.A. Dickey for NL Cy Young!

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 09:23 PM)
He is unreal.

B&B were talking about this piece in Chicago Magazine on R.A. Dickey's pitching physics:

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine...ys-Knuckleball/

He's essentially traded consistency in speed and magnitude of movement for increased control and a wider range of speeds. Instead of getting Wakefield's dead-solid 66-67 MPH knuckleball, they're getting pitches anywhere from 73-80, with the amount of unpredictable movement decreasing as velocity increases. So now pitchers are having to deal with both the random ball movement direction, the magnitude that movement will be and velocity of the pitch.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:58 PM)
MLB Network quoting Sports Illustrated that Joey Votto has never pulled a ball foul into the stands during his entire MLB career. And just like a few years ago, he hasn't had an infield pop up all year.

Once, according to Verducci. Oh, and 3 IFFB's in 2,138 PAs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writ...reds/index.html

Interleague-

AL 120

NL 90

Basically, after this coming weekend, an average AL team goes 10-8 in interleague. So the Sox need to sweep the Brewers. Let's do that.

12-3: Tex

11-4: NY

10-5: LAA, Det

9-6: Bal, Bos, Oak

8-7: KC

7-8: TB, Tor, Sox, Cle, Min, Sea

No real bombs this year unless one of the 7-8 teams gets swept this weekend.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-spo...uiytV_blog.html

Bryce Harper applies for ‘clown question’ trademark, Under Armour cashes in

By Sarah Kogod

Thanks to some quick thinking by someone in Bryce Harper’s camp, Under Armour can now cash in on the “clown question” phenomenon.

According to Comcast SportsNet, Harper revealed on Thursday that Under Armour, with whom he has an endorsement deal, will be selling t-shirts bearing the phrase that is clearly destined to live on forever.

A quick search of the U.S. Patent and Trademark database reveals that the day after he uttered the phrase “That’s a clown question, bro,” Harper (or more likely someone on his clearly savvy management team) applied for the trademark in Harper’s name for “wearing apparel, namely, shirts, t-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, pants, shorts, hats, visors, gloves, shoes.”

Which means that one day soon, you may be able to rock “clown question” from head to toe.

Yeah, it blows...even the sports books out here can't get around the blackout rules, which really shocked me when I first moved to Vegas. If I bet on the A's or Giants or Angels or Dodgers, many times the book can't even show the game.

When the Sox are playing the A's or Angels I often have to hope that it is being shown on Comcast Bay Area, or the SoCal FSN channel...I have no idea how the rules work, just that when I want to watch those teams, sometimes I can watch them but many times I cannot.

Great article on MLB's dumbass blackout rules

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb%E2%80%99s...-dark-ages.html

Here is the map:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1133/bas...ritorialmap.jpg

The biggest problem is when a team's blackout area does not coincide with the distribution of the channel carrying the team. For example, the Sox blackout area covers Indianapolis, yet the cable and satellite systems in Indy do not carry CSN, unless you buy the special sports package that is an extra $10/month or whatever and along with CSN includes 49 other channels that you'll never watch. So in Indy, you don't get to see Sox games on your regular TV lineup, but you also can't see them if you buy MLBEI or mlb.tv, because the Sox want to protect CSN's advertisers even though nobody in Indy gets CSN.

Make it simple--take a look at where each team's primary channel gets distributed, and then set that as the blackout area. Then every team's games will be available either via your regular TV lineup or via MLBEI/mlb.tv.

The other fan-friendly thing MLB can do is find a way to make FOX games available in the areas where they aren't on. Maybe there could be a special FOX package for MLBEI/mlb.tv that gets you access to all of FOX's Saturday games and FOX gets that money.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
Here is the map:

The biggest problem is when a team's blackout area does not coincide with the distribution of the channel carrying the team. For example, the Sox blackout area covers Indianapolis, yet the cable and satellite systems in Indy do not carry CSN, unless you buy the special sports package that is an extra $10/month or whatever and along with CSN includes 49 other channels that you'll never watch. So in Indy, you don't get to see Sox games on your regular TV lineup, but you also can't see them if you buy MLBEI or mlb.tv, because the Sox want to protect CSN's advertisers even though nobody in Indy gets CSN.

Make it simple--take a look at where each team's primary channel gets distributed, and then set that as the blackout area. Then every team's games will be available either via your regular TV lineup or via MLBEI/mlb.tv.

The other fan-friendly thing MLB can do is find a way to make FOX games available in the areas where they aren't on. Maybe there could be a special FOX package for MLBEI/mlb.tv that gets you access to all of FOX's Saturday games and FOX gets that money.

I believe this is the year the FOX contract is up, so hopefully all the angry emails I've sent to Fox and MLB over the years complaining about that specific blackout rule will have some impact.

I understand the rationale behind the rule--FOX has paid a lot of money to have exclusivity in their time slot. I just think there has to be a solution out there that gives FOX (or whomever succeeds them) what they want without blacking games out.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
Here is the map:

bingo