Sergio Santos traded to Toronto

Steve9347

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Santos is dealing regardless of the Sox situation in 2012, let's say he is at 3.1 ERA and converts 18 of 20 saves by July 1st. A team in need will overpay at he deadline for bullpen help...see Capps, Matt

Something doesn't smell right here as Santos was cheap and his value was only going up. Why move him in a diluted market when they did not have to. It just seems odd. I think Nestor is a piece in a bigger trade. I see how he fits what Toronto is doing but now seems odd.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)
Molina has had 5 years in the minors and has only 5 games at the AA level. It took him 4 and a half years to get out of A ball.

Stop stealing comments from dumbass posters on MLBtraderumors.

He's 22 years old and made AA, that's faster than usual.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
Did it say for who? I have a feeling people are going to be very disappointed in whatever we get back for Thornton.

Personally I dont care who as long as we get that salary off the pay roll.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:18 PM)
Stop stealing comments from dumbass posters on MLBtraderumors.

He's 22 years old and made AA, that's faster than usual.

Lets not forget that he was also a converted 3B. Factor in additional time for the adjustment as well.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)
@Ken_Rosenthal

It's already been pointed out about 7 times that scouts are divided as to whether he is a reliever or a starter.

The Sox obviously believe he is a starter.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:18 PM)
If Santos is dealing regardless of the Sox situation in 2012, let's say he is at 3.1 ERA and converts 18 of 20 saves by July 1st. A team in need will overpay at he deadline for bullpen help...see Capps, Matt

Something doesn't smell right here as Santos was cheap and his value was only going up. Why move him in a diluted market when they did not have to. It just seems odd. I think Nestor is a piece in a bigger trade. I see how he fits what Toronto is doing but now seems odd.

I'd take my chances, even in this market that isn't favorable to closers, rather than assuming his value will continue to rise next season. Or that someone will overpay midseason. Unless a player is under performing expectations, I'd almost always prefer to trade someone too early than too late.

Anyways, we'll be in no different position with or without Santos. Still a heaping pile of suck for 2012.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:23 PM)
You usually don't waste pitchers with control like that in the bullpen. Hmm. Sounds like worst case, he could be Edwin Jackson.

Completely different types of pitchers.

Hudson is a better comparison.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
Chicago Tribune Scouting Report

This report is less than flattering - basically says the Sox over overrating this guy because the guy they got from Toronto likes him, and that he projects as a back of the rotation starter.

Yes.

Phil Rodgers clearly knows more about this kid than the former Blue Jays' scout.

148 ks vs 18 bbs tells me the scout knows more.