Cowley: Bridges need to be rebuilt.

justBLAZE

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 09:05 AM)
And it my last few posts on this topic, I just demonstrated exactly how easy it is to be Joe Cowley. Take Peavy's quote, and turn it into no one respects Guillen. Take Joe's quote on parroting, and turn it into he doesn't tell the truth. Take Joe's quote on writing opinions and turn it into he doesn't report the facts.

I can't believe people still fall for Joe Cowley like he is some kind of misunderstood crusading Jesus who wants to save us all. Dude is a two bit gossip columnist who doesn't deserve to be read. He should be on MSNBC AND FOX where he belongs. He isn't breaking news stories, he is taking bits of information out of context, and with subtle changes, and weaving them into a narrative that just isn't true. The guy is a garbage writer.

:D

http://www.southsidesox.com/2011/12/14/263...ece-about-danks

Filling in the blanks on a piece about Danks

Mrsparkleorig_tiny by Jim Margalus on Dec 14, 2011 1:50 AM CST in White Sox Rumors

I like reading Joe Cowley articles because he's not for beginners.

Those who read him long enough know that he has his sources, and he goes to bat for them -- or against their enemies. And while there is some legitimate insight to be gleaned from what he writes, you have to work to filter out the slant.

In this case, he's been on a crusade against Don Cooper. Partially because Cooper supposedly went behind Cowley favorite Ozzie Guillen to get an extension, and also probably because he enjoys getting a rise out of Cooper and listening to him get all high-pitched, fast-talking and huffy. He doesn't need Cooper for stories, so he uses him for ratings.

But in order to paint Cooper in a really unfavorable light, he has to leave some things out. That's where it's fun for me, because I like to fill them in. So let's take today's column, where he talks to John Danks and also offers some information on the pitching staff's inner workings.

For starters, it's cause for caution when somebody writes about the White Sox's organizational disorganization in 2011 and doesn't mention the words "Ozzie" or "Guillen" once. But if you want to get specific, there are two other noteworthy omissions.

Star-divide

No. 1

Anonymous pitcher says: "They preach to us to act a certain way in a contract year, and you have a coach who couldn't lead by example. That rubbed a lot of us the wrong way."

But wait a second: The players also had a manager who, in back to back years, stated that he probably wouldn't even bother serving the last year of his contract. "I don't think I'll be back here for just a one-year contract and (not) know what to do the next year," Ozzie Guillen said on Aug. 30. He also had similar sentiments the year before. So what the players had was a coach who acted a different way in his contract year, working under a manager who threatened to take his ball and go home during his. That's healthy all the way around.

No. 2

Cowley writes: "Then there was the disintegrating relationship between Cooper and starter Jake Peavy when the veteran right-hander believed Cooper threw him under the bus in several interviews."

But wait a second: Remember the time last spring training where Guillen said Peavy convinced him that he could pitch in the spring outing that caused his setback? And then Peavy responded that Guillen had "complete control from the start," and that he didn't ask or beg his way back in? And remember how this was far from the first time it had happened?

I'm sure there are truths in there. I bet Cooper is on a different plane than the other White Sox coaches ... but because he gets results and he predates practically everybody but Herm Schneider. I bet Cooper and Jake Peavy had communication issues ... but everything I've read and heard Peavy say indicates that he's a high-maintenance guy who believes he's low-maintenance, and thus his very existence hinges on a disconnect that the entire White Sox staff has not been able to negotiate.

And I'm sure that John Danks is a little bothered that the Sox didn't protect Jordan Danks on the 40-man roster -- because it was foreseeable. And hey, he technically wrote a column that wasn't about Ozzie Guillen. So all in all, this article is truthy enough for Cowley to easily defend when somebody accuses him of printing lies or doing somebody's dirty work. He just leaves gaps big enough to drive a Paul Konerko triple through, if you follow the stories closely enough.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 08:57 AM)
Here's the problem with Cowley's reporting. He takes a few disgruntled people and uses their thoughts to advance the narrative he wants to tell. So, because there a few people who dont like Coop, therefore everyone hates him and all he was doing is protecting his ass.

You could take this model and apply it to any work environment in the country. there are ALWAYS people who dislike their boss. I know in my particular situation, if you interviewed me and one of my co-workers, you'd think my boss was a lying back stabbing bafoon. If you interviewed others, they'd say they love the man and he's a great guy. Which is the truth? If Cowley disliked my boss, he'd only use me and my co-worker as his sources.

It's called being a reporter.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
The hatred toward Cowley on here, it's as if he said something disparaging about Soxtalk.

Well, actually, he has.

But aside from that... it isn't that he made something up entirely in this article (though he has done that before). It is that he does exactly what a reporter is not supposed to do - he took a few facts and quotes, and characterized and twisted them to appear to be something else.

Joe Cowley is not a reporter. He is a columnist (thankfully, now, not a beat writer) who can't even come up with good evidence to support his obvious bias.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
Reporters get the full story, or at least they TRY to. Not one part of it. Cowley looks for those who fit the narrative he wants to push. he couldnt get at least one or two pitchers who LIKE Coop?

He has mentioned few times that Floyd likes Coop, but in a way where he almost called him out/made fun of him for it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
Well, actually, he has.

But aside from that... it isn't that he made something up entirely in this article (though he has done that before). It is that he does exactly what a reporter is not supposed to do - he took a few facts and quotes, and characterized and twisted them to appear to be something else.

Joe Cowley is not a reporter. He is a columnist (thankfully, now, not a beat writer) who can't even come up with good evidence to support his obvious bias.

And when that doesn't work, he just takes bits and pieces restrung together and calls it evidence.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)
This sounds like Quinarvy bait...

I am far to tired from studying for finals so I can get my journalism degree and be a real journalist, unlike Cowley.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)
He did

:lolhitting

Seriously though, he's such an insecure asshole. Cowley should just take his one man show to Miami already.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
It's called being a reporter.

There's a Cowley-style half truth if I've ever seen one. You've got part of the reporter formula right...you do use quotes to advance a narrative. Unfortunately, the piece you're missing is what narrative to tell. You determine the narrative by observing a situation from as many angles as possible and determining the best way to summarize it. You do not, however, take a very obvious, long-standing agenda and establish your narrative around that. That's called being a BAD reporter. Columnists do that, but A) Cowley's been doing this same crap since he was a beat reporter. Nothing changed except his title and B) Columnists may spout opinions, but those opinions still need to be based on a convincing body of evidence, otherwise readers will call you out for all of the B.S. listed in this 10-page thread, and more.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
The hatred toward Cowley on here, it's as if he said something disparaging about Soxtalk.

Clearly, you already know about that. I wasn't present for any of that and I still hate Cowley, because he's self-serving and his opinions are invalidated by his bitter, obstinate and vindictive personality.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)
Seriously though, he's such an insecure asshole. Cowley should just take his one man show to Miami already.

Amen to that. I've never seen a guy yell so loudly that he doesn't care what anybody thinks. He'll go on radio shows and twitter for hours on end trying to convince everyone that he doesn't care about criticism (much like one Ozzie Guillen. Hmm...). Seriously, it's like he's still a child.

I don't know how Joe Cowley is perceived in Chicago. I gather from fellow Soxtalk folks that he is not well liked. He does seem to like to stir things up a bit, but the questions I have on this Cooper stuff is: Is what John Danks said untrue? Did John Danks deny it or say it was taken out of context? Is it news to baseball fans? Now we have more similar type stories coming out albeit from a different writer. Jake Peavy is not to happy, but he does say he discussed his differences with Cooper. Is that news? Is it true? The difference to us here might be if one appears more critical of the Sox organization than the other. I have said it before and that's it is no secret there were differences and controversies last season internally. Maybe the problem is we don't like to see dirty laundry aired in public? Colwy takes a negative spin on things, but if ther ammo is there I guess he and other writers will take it, load it up in a story and shoot it. The team and organization needs to quit bashing itself and get back to being a winner. Maybe what w are seeing is just part of the healing process internally?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 05:11 PM)
I don't know how Joe Cowley is perceived in Chicago. I gather from fellow Soxtalk folks that he is not well liked. He does seem to like to stir things up a bit, but the questions I have on this Cooper stuff is: Is what John Danks said untrue? Did John Danks deny it or say it was taken out of context? Is it news to baseball fans? Now we have more similar type stories coming out albeit from a different writer. Jake Peavy is not to happy, but he does say he discussed his differences with Cooper. Is that news? Is it true? The difference to us here might be if one appears more critical of the Sox organization than the other. I have said it before and that's it is no secret there were differences and controversies last season internally. Maybe the problem is we don't like to see dirty laundry aired in public? Colwy takes a negative spin on things, but if ther ammo is there I guess he and other writers will take it, load it up in a story and shoot it. The team and organization needs to quit bashing itself and get back to being a winner. Maybe what w are seeing is just part of the healing process internally?

You're missing the point. It's fine to be critical of the Sox organization if enough evidence points in that direction. There are plenty of articles critical of management that I have NO problem with. The reason Cowley is despised is not because he criticizes the Sox, but that his criticism is always informed by his own petty squabbles and allegiances. His opinions are invalid because he can't see through his own distortion.