FanGraphs Top 15 White Sox Prospects

Eminor3rd

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 01:40 AM)
Does everyone that makes these lists need reminding that the organization also includes a former Baseball America #4 & #5 ranked player from the Marlins?

Martinez and especially Marinez are at least in the Sox top 10.

But then those guys went to the White Sox. That's an immediate downgrade.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 01:40 AM)
Does everyone that makes these lists need reminding that the organization also includes a former Baseball America #4 & #5 ranked player from the Marlins?

Martinez and especially Marinez are at least in the Sox top 10.

I don't think we do need reminding. Those prospects were ranked #4/#5 in a year the Marlins' farm system was one of the worst in the league. And neither player earned those rankings, both having disappointing 2011 seasons. Sickles had them both as C+ prospects. They belong outside even the White Sox top 10.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
I don't think we do need reminding. Those prospects were ranked #4/#5 in a year the Marlins' farm system was one of the worst in the league. And neither player earned those rankings, both having disappointing 2011 seasons. Sickles had them both as C+ prospects. They belong outside even the White Sox top 10.

This. The Marlins system is bad, and the players weren't highly thought of in the first place. Jhan Marinez is interesting, but that's about it. Both had lackluster seasons as well, especially Ozzie. I'm fine with the White Sox rankings so far.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
I could see the Sox trading Danks/Thornton to the Yankees for Sanchez, Noesi, Betances and Mason Williams...

Not a chance. That is way more than the Yankees would give up for one year of Danks. If that deal was ever offered, I would drive them to NY myself. If the Yanks offered Betances/Noesi and Sanchez they should take that immediately. If the Yankees were willing to include Betances it would be something like Betances, Romine, and a couple mid tier prospects. NY could get Gio for the package that you proposed.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 03:10 PM)
Not a chance. That is way more than the Yankees would give up for one year of Danks. If that deal was ever offered, I would drive them to NY myself. If the Yanks offered Betances/Noesi and Sanchez they should take that immediately. If the Yankees were willing to include Betances it would be something like Betances, Romine, and a couple mid tier prospects. NY could get Gio for the package that you proposed.

This. As I've stated in other threads, I've lost all faith in KW, who's a terrible GM to begin with, getting a + package in a deal revolving around Danks. They're just better options out there for guys under control much longer.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
I could see the Sox trading Danks/Thornton to the Yankees for Sanchez, Noesi, Betances and Mason Williams...

There's zero chance of that... that deal is about as good as the one that got Latos... Williams is untounchable, same as Montero and Banuelos. Betances isn't as untouchable as some Yankee fans like to think. Yankees basically have five guys that aren't going to be moved, Santana, Williams, Sanchez, Montero and Banuelos, unless its for a special player. Noesi is touching 98 mph as well. Let's just say Cashman agrees to this deal, it would never happen cause I would find Cashman and I would murder him. But yeah Cashman already told teams Williams is untounchable, there were several articles around the GM meetings about it.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 03:10 PM)

I could see if Danks was 24 and was under control for 4 years at undermarket price, but yeah Danks is a f/a next year... The CBA kind of screws you too. If Danks is dealt during the season teams won't get comp picks for him and GMs aren't dumb, or well some arent. they know this and will exploit it.

QUOTE (TheHugeUnit @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 09:54 PM)
I could see if Danks was 24 and was under control for 4 years at undermarket price, but yeah Danks is a f/a next year... The CBA kind of screws you too. If Danks is dealt during the season teams won't get comp picks for him and GMs aren't dumb, or well some arent. they know this and will exploit it.

But then there are 6-8 "mid tier" teams who will be competing next year and might not be able to afford paying Danks $7-8 million for the full season but could definitely swing that contract for just two months....where he might emerge as that one additional starter to put them over the top, particularly a team bereft of lefties.

Danks, arguably, had his worse season since 2007 with us.

KW has to also be considering that he is likely to pitch better in 2012 and bring his value up to where it belongs in the minds of most scouts and GM's.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (TheHugeUnit @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 08:54 PM)

I disagree. There is a very good chance we will get compensation with Danks, but not Quentin. In order to get compensation in the new CBA is you have to offer them arbitration and they take the average salary of the TOP 125 players. MLB is saying next year that will come out to 14 million for the year. Danks will not accept arbitration because he would be leaving at least additional 50 million on the table. Too risky for a pitcher. Sox then would get 2 compensation picks.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 18, 2011 -> 07:29 AM)
I disagree. There is a very good chance we will get compensation with Danks, but not Quentin. In order to get compensation in the new CBA is you have to offer them arbitration and they take the average salary of the TOP 125 players. MLB is saying next year that will come out to 14 million for the year. Danks will not accept arbitration because he would be leaving at least additional 50 million on the table. Too risky for a pitcher. Sox then would get 2 compensation picks.

Nah I mean a trading team. if you trade him after the start of the season he wont be able to get his new team comp picks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 11:13 PM)
But then there are 6-8 "mid tier" teams who will be competing next year and might not be able to afford paying Danks $7-8 million for the full season but could definitely swing that contract for just two months....where he might emerge as that one additional starter to put them over the top, particularly a team bereft of lefties.

Danks, arguably, had his worse season since 2007 with us.

KW has to also be considering that he is likely to pitch better in 2012 and bring his value up to where it belongs in the minds of most scouts and GM's.

Like I just said if you move danks midway through the season he wont get a new team comp picks if that happens you wont get much for him, unless he's the best pitcher in baseball but even then you might get a betances like prospect.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
If Saladino is for real, and Escobar could be a stopgap, maybe we should be shopping Alexei. Good market for it this year; I bet the Giants would pay up.

I love this idea. He's probably our most valuable MLB asset, and trading him would be a huge step towards finally having a respectable minor league system.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 10:05 AM)
It would have been interesting to see where Doyle ranked if he was still here.

I didn't get an answer from fangraphs, but got this from SSS

SouthSidelarry larry southsidesox

@

@JimMargalus @SoxNet i was considering him for #10 prior to molina trade, though w/quite a few others. was certainly top 15. i'd say #12.