k0na breaks story on Danks 5 years/$65mil ext...Heyman confirms

DirtySox

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
But there's no way to know that with Danks, as he had no ability to test the market.

I think Danks stayed in Chicago because overall, he's happy being here and with his brother. Jared Weaver from the Angels signed an extention below market value just because he was happy to be around where he grew up.

Not all players are trying to make the most dough. Some are just trying to play ball in a comfortable environment.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.southsidesox.com/2011/12/23/265...acy-starts-anew

legacy starts anew

Mrsparkleorig_tiny by Jim Margalus on Dec 23, 2011 6:01 AM CST in White Sox History

29 comments

Story-email Email

Printer Print

Photo

Paul Beaty - APMore photos »

Back in 2005, the White Sox drafted Jordan Danks in the 19th round. His draft stock was depressed because the Danks family made it known that Jordan had every intention of attending the University of Texas, but the White Sox used a second-day pick to, at the very least, get an idea of what Jordan was all about.

Mark Gonzales covered the negotiations rather extensively for a 19th-round pick who had little chance of breaking his commitment, and some quotes from the family patriarch, John Danks Sr., have stuck in my mind.

From July 3, 2005: "We are completely appreciative of the White Sox," and later in the article, Gonzales notes Danks Sr.'s excellent relationship with scout Keith Stabb.

From Aug. 28, 2005: "It had nothing to do with the Sox. [Jordan] just wanted to play for the University of Texas before playing pro ball. My hope is that he enjoys a couple of years at UT before getting drafted by the White Sox. I love the White Sox. I hope they play in the World Series."

Sure enough, the Sox did play in the World Series, and Jordan Danks would be drafted again by the White Sox.

And in between, five years ago on this date, the White Sox traded for Jordan's older brother.

Star-divide

For all the talk about Mark Buehrle's personal connection to the organization and its front office, John Danks' roots run deeper in some respects. His family had a positive relationship with the White Sox more than one year before John was brought into the fold, and when Jordan Danks was drafted by the Sox for a second time, the brothers decided to ditch Scott Boras in favor of Jeff Berry, who represents Buehrle.

When the Dankses changed agents back in 2008, we immediately knew that was an important day. It just took a little longer to bear fruit. Buehrle signed his first multi-year contract before his first arbitration year, but Danks and the Sox couldn't find common ground until the last one.

That's kind of how it's gone for the lefties. At this stage in his career, Danks has a lot of the same things going for him as Buehrle, but Buehrle just has a way of making everything seem easier.

It's not a fair comparison for Danks, and he'll have the opportunity to develop his own legacy with his role model pitching in the other league. At 26 years old and entering his sixth year, he has a strong foundation to build on. Take a look at the White Sox leaderboards since 1920* for pitchers over their first five seasons:

Innings pitched, first five:

Tommy Thomas, 1,268.1 (1926-1930)

Ted Lyons, 1,093.0 (1923-1927)

Johnny Rigney, 994 (1937-1941)

Mark Buehrle, 987.1 (2000-2004)

John Danks, 917.2 (2007-2011)

Games started, first five:

Thomas, 158

Danks, 150

Buehrle, 139

Jack McDowell, 132 (1987-1992)

Alex Fernandez, 132 (1990-1994)

Strikeouts, first five:

Danks, 714

Jack McDowell, 633 (1987-1992)

Alex Fernandez, 592 (1990-1994)

Buehrle, 581

Melido Perez, 568

Losses, first five:

Thomas, 75

Danks, 56

Charlie Robertson, 55 (1922-1925)

Lyons, 53

Rigney, 53

Baseball-Reference.com WAR, first five:

Thomas, 19.3

Danks, 19.2

Buehrle, 17.0

Rigney, 16.5

Lyons, 15.2

*1920 is when the White Sox started using their starting pitchers in more modern fashion. Ed Walsh's 40 wins and 464 innings in 1908 are practically incomparable.

Star-divide

While we can't assume that Danks will pitch all five years of this contract with the White Sox, or that he'll be healthy enough to throw 180-210 innings each year, we can start pondering the concept of John Danks, 10-Year White Sox Veteran. Given the Danks-Sox relationship and the organization's tendency to be (too) loyal, it's a decent bet this long-term commitment will last.

A decade in the same uniform is a big deal. The first 10 years pares down the list further, because under those circumstances, even mainstays like Billy Pierce -- or, for a non-pitching contemporary example, Paul Konerko -- don't count. No, when you get to 10 years, you're left with three big names among pitchers: Ted Lyons, Joel Horlen, and ... wait for it ... Mark Buehrle.

That Danks has a clear path to join that group catches me off guard, probably because he pitched alongside Buehrle, and yet they weren't quite peers in the bigger picture. Everything Danks has done, Buehrle has done better.

Let it be said I'm not knocking Danks, because, like, God forbid he's not quite as good as a very special and unique predecessor. It just puts him in a funny position as he gets out from underneath Buehrle's shadow. Danks has his first chance to lead a staff, but the better he pitches, the more Buehrle's name will come up.

Everybody should hope that we find more and more ways to draw parallels. This impending five-year extension is a big-time start, and apparently Danks will have plenty of time to work on the others.

Star-divide

A few observations about these lists:

*With "first [X] seasons" criteria, a lot of it comes down to timing. Danks benefits from starting his very first season in the rotation from the get-go, whereas Mark Buehrle pitched out of the bullpen for half a season in 2000, and Jack McDowell was a September call-up in 1987.

Buehrle and McDowell would probably blow the field away, as they both pitched more than 1,100 innings when you count their first five seasons. Although you could ding McDowell for it not being five consecutive seasons, since he spent all of 1989 in Triple-A.

*Despite his rookie-year advantage, Danks ranks just seventh in wins with 54, with LaMarr Hoyt (61) and Richard Dotson (56) ahead of him. Run support is key here, but it wouldn't hurt if Danks could routinely finish stronger, too.

*I knew nothing about Tommy Thomas, so let's learn about him together. From his SABR Baseball Biography Project profile:

Hey, today's his birthday! That's kind of awesome.

He established himself for a good four years in the International League as a mainstay in the Baltimore Orioles' rotation before signing with the White Sox at the end of the 1925 season.

He was evidently something of a Cub-killer in the post-season Inter-City series.

He didn't drink or use tobacco.

His career with the Sox was dragged down by elbow problems, ptomaine poisoning, bone bruise and throat infection ... and five different managers didn't help, either.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 07:30 AM)
And with the fact that Mark brought the offer back to the White Sox to try to get a contract offer, even if it was at a lower price, it shows Ozzie wasn't his first choice.

And also to clarify, just Joe Cowley said there was a grudge. No one else made that crap up.

Not to mention the interview where Mark basically said he wanted to come back to Chicago and kind of planned on it before he retires.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)

The interesting thing about those stats when comparing MB and Danks is that MB had 11 fewer starts but pitched 60 more innings. This is where Danks has his weakness. Learning that strikeouts don't necessarily mean everything if you can get out of an inning earlier and pitch deeper into games.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 05:42 PM)
The interesting thing about those stats when comparing MB and Danks is that MB had 11 fewer starts but pitched 60 more innings. This is where Danks has his weakness. Learning that strikeouts don't necessarily mean everything if you can get out of an inning earlier and pitch deeper into games.

It's not going for the strikeout that hurts John, it's that he has no real way to get consistent outs other than the change. You can see him trying to get guys to hit the ball on days he doesn't have the change, but they foul off 5 fastballs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 06:43 PM)
It's not going for the strikeout that hurts John, it's that he has no real way to get consistent outs other than the change. You can see him trying to get guys to hit the ball on days he doesn't have the change, but they foul off 5 fastballs.

Good point. I think Danks and Floyd both suffer from not being able to get outs without their best stuff, and attacking the inner half of the plate more would do wonders on those days IMO.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 12:33 AM)
Good point. I think Danks and Floyd both suffer from not being able to get outs without their best stuff, and attacking the inner half of the plate more would do wonders on those days IMO.

Floyd is actually a different beast...he never strikes me as "Struggling to put guys away" like Danks does. When Floyd is struggling, guys hit home runs off of him. When Danks is struggling, guys hit 19 foul balls in a row off of him before singling.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
mlbtraderumors MLB Trade Rumors

White Sox announce five-year, $65MM Danks extension. Danks will earn $8MM in 2012 and $14.25MM annually from 2013-16.

First breakdown of salary I have seen.

Pretty fair deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
mlbtraderumors MLB Trade Rumors

White Sox announce five-year, $65MM Danks extension. Danks will earn $8MM in 2012 and $14.25MM annually from 2013-16.

First breakdown of salary I have seen.

So, something akin to salary relief next year...does this tell us anything about when KW is targeting a resurgence? I'm not sure it does, but you guys are better at thinking than me.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 29, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
So, something akin to salary relief next year...does this tell us anything about when KW is targeting a resurgence? I'm not sure it does, but you guys are better at thinking than me.

He was only going to make 8-9 million anyways, right? I think they were just trying to keep the budget about the same.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
$6 million from Pierzynski as well.

If you wanted to look at smaller numbers like that, Frasor's almost $4 million is gone as well, as well as Will Ohman's deal, and Floyd's last year is an option. Current Sox are committed to about $65 million for 2013, or $75ish with Floyds money.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)
I have to lol @ Jay Cowley starting to tweet about the Marlins and then how Danks will be a Yankee after next year, immediately after the Sox announce the extension.

Someone needs some attention. His mom must not have gotten him that Christmas present he wanted.

Wow, how many times are you going to hear Cowley on the Score, start a statement by staying, that I don't know why everyone thinks I hate the Sox but....

Look, if he is a Yankee in a year, we will have gotten a lot more for him with this extension so good move.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...-year-extension

John Danks agrees to 5-year extension

The Chicago White Sox and starting pitcher John Danks agreed to terms on a five-year contract extension worth $65 million, the team announced on Thursday.

Danks will make $8 million in 2012 and $14.25 per season for the next four years.

More From ESPNChicago.com

Can't get enough White Sox information? ESPNChicago.com has all the latest from the South Side. Blog

ESPNChicago.com's Bruce Levine reported the deal on Dec. 21.

By agreeing to terms with Danks, the White Sox avoided an arbitration hearing that would have likely cost the team between $9 million and $10 million in 2012. This coming season was slated to be Danks' last of arbitration. He would have been a free agent following the 2012 season.

Danks, who will be 27 on April 15, has a 54-56 lifetime record and a 4.03 ERA.

Prior to the agreement, the White Sox had been shopping Danks on the trade market. After losing Mark Buehrle, a mainstay in the team's starting rotation, to the Miami Marlins in free agency, Danks was the only quality left-handed starter remaining in the organization.

The Texas native is coming off an underwhelming 2011 season. He went 8-12 with a 4.33 ERA. Danks' career strikeout-to-walk ratio is 3:1, considered an outstanding number.

Information from ESPNChicago.com's Bruce Levine and Doug Padilla was used in this report.

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/sox-drawer/...tm_medium=email

Click here to find out more!

Sox Drawer: Danks back; Kenny on 'rebuilding'

When a pitcher starts a season going 0-8, and finishes with the most losses (12) and highest ERA (4.33) since his rookie year, he is more likely to expect a lump of coal in his Christmas stocking than a five-year, $65 million contract extension.

But that’s exactly what John Danks received from the White Sox, who announced the deal on Thursday.

“Coming off the worst year of my career, I didn’t expect this for sure,” Danks said on a conference call with reporters.

Does this sound like a team that’s rebuilding?

No, it doesn’t. And no, they aren’t. Not in the standard blow-it-up style that has been described since Kenny Williams uttered the word “rebuilding” at the winter meetings. Everyone heard that part of the sentence. The sheer sound of it may have ruptured both your eardrums.

Kenny might as well have said, “We’ve re-hired Terry Bevington.”

But what seems to have been lost, forgotten or ignored from that Williams press conference were the words he said immediately after using the dredded r-word.

“It’s the start of a rebuilding now,” the White Sox general manager said on Dec. 6. “Is it the start of a falling domino-type rebuilding? No. Absolutely not.”

Yes, Williams did say those words. But as we know, actions speak much louder. So when the White Sox proceeded to trade Sergio Santos for a prospect and not re-sign Mark Buehrle on back-to-back days, it certainly looked and felt like the team was in full rebuild mode.

But Thursday Williams prefaced it again. They’re not tearing down the walls, just hoping to get bigger, stronger bricks.

“We are still in win mode,” Williams said. “But at the same time that you’re in win mode, you can be in a little bit of a rebuilding phase, and I tried to articulate that, although I guess that message got lost after I said we were rebuilding. I tried to articulate that it wouldn’t be dominoes falling in terms of a true rebuilding because we have too many good veterans, and veterans looking to bounce back.”

Danks is one of them, although he wasn’t sure if he’d be having a comeback year with the White Sox or some other team. The lefty was a red-hot name in many trade rumors to places like New York and Texas, but his first choice was to return to the White Sox.

“Obviously, there was a lot of trade talk, and you can’t help but wonder and think,” said Danks, whose mother kept him up to date on all the rumors. “But I think I kind of took the attitude that until something happens I was going to prepare to be with the White Sox. Fortunately, this came along and I couldn’t be happier.”

Or more surprised.

Although the White Sox had tried to sign Danks to an extension in the past, talks between the two sides had cooled until John recently received a phone call from his agent, Jeff Berry.

“It really did come out of nowhere,” Danks said. “It was a very quick negotiation.”

The five-year deal is the longest the White Sox have ever given to a pitcher. Due to their unpredictability with results and health, Jerry Reinsdorf prefers to limit pitching contracts to three years. Under the terms of the agreement, Danks will receive $8 million in 2012 which was to be his final season of arbitration eligibility, and $14.25 million in each season from 2013-2016.

For those wondering if the White Sox might try to deal Danks around the trade deadline if the upcoming season goes south, that very likely won’t happen. According to MLB.com, Danks has a full no-trade clause in 2012, and a limited no-trade clause over the next four.

With Buehrle gone, there are some pretty large shoes to fill, but Danks says he’s up to the challenge, beginning with pitching on Opening Day which Buehrle did for the White Sox a record nine times.

“If you don’t want to pitch on Opening Day, you’re in the wrong profession,” he said. “I don’t know what direction they want to go, but if I get the opportunity, I would love it.”

What about catching the ceremonial first pitch? Buehrle made it a tradition for every home game in which he wasn’t the starting pitcher. In those cases, Danks would take over.

“I guess it’s me,” Danks said.

And despite coming off a 79-83 season, and losing their best starter (Buehrle) and closer (Santos) from last season, Danks is expecting a comeback season for the White Sox.

“I like our chances. I really do. I’m not just saying that,” he said. “Obviously, there were a lot of guys, myself included, that underperformed from their career averages. There’s guys with great long track records that had down years and it was just a perfect storm. We all kind of struggled. We have a lot of the same guys back, and are capable of doing the opposite of what we did last year.”

• 2 weeks later...