2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 05:45 PM)
You stay classy, Steve...

When someone was posting "f*** Cleveland" or "f*** Detroit" in all the whitesox winner threads everyone thought it was the coolest thing ever, someone calls a player a p**** for letting a bruised shoulder knock him out of a game and people are all on his case and say stay classy. :lolhitting

All of the above posts are stuff that are not necessary. They don't add any insight or commentary. I've seen enough of that crap in the basketball thread (and other threads). Lets cut it out and get back to basketball discussion.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 05:02 PM)
Kevin Martin is twice the player Ben Gordon is, yo.

He really isn't, yo.

BG has come up huge in big situations and tried on D, just undersized. Martin is a legit 6'7 who is actually worse on D and his main weapon, the "rip-through" move, has been taken away this year.

Courtney Lee is the guy the Bulls need to target.

It comes down to whether the Bulls would be willing to deal Asik for him, although the Rockets probably don't have such a need at center now with Dalembert in the fold.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 12:34 AM)
He really isn't, yo.

BG has come up huge in big situations and tried on D, just undersized. Martin is a legit 6'7 who is actually worse on D and his main weapon, the "rip-through" move, has been taken away this year.

I'd rather have Martin too. He's basically a suped up version of Rip. I've had quite enough with the Ben Gordon pump fakes and dribbles off his own feet/knees. Guy is making 11 million and can't start for the Pistons but we want him starting for the Bulls?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 02:12 AM)
I'd rather have Martin too. He's basically a suped up version of Rip. I've had quite enough with the Ben Gordon pump fakes and dribbles off his own feet/knees. Guy is making 11 million and can't start for the Pistons but we want him starting for the Bulls?

His shooting is still good. Guys a professional, even in his s*** situation. Never said a bad thing about Chicago.

Martin is currently b****ing.

BG is also a clutch mofo.

New arena plan will keep Kings put

The only place the Sacramento Kings are moving to is a new downtown home in California's capital.

A year after almost being wiped off the NBA map, Sacramento cleared the most critical political hurdle late Tuesday night when the City Council approved a plan to help finance an estimated $391 million arena, setting off cheers through the cramped chambers that spilled onto the streets of downtown with a message that echoed from Anaheim to Seattle and across the basketball world.

"Long live Sacramento, and long live the Kings!" shouted Sacramento Mayor and former NBA All-Star Kevin Johnson to a sea of supporters that packed the grounds for the historic vote.

The non-binding term sheet, signed off by the Kings and the NBA last week, will keep the team in Sacramento for at least another 30 years.

Portland is currently using Crawford at PG because they got Mathews and Batum at SG. But he isn't a natural PG and isn't distributing the ball when he starts.

Crawford only makes $5 million, so I think we can trade Watson and Jimmy Butler for Crawford, and the salary would be about even. This makes a lot of sense for both teams because Watson is a better point than Crawford for Portland. We have no idea when Rip will be fully healthy, so we will start Brewer at SG and bring Crawford off the bench as a backup SG/PG and use JL3 as the third string PG.

Crawford is a better ball handler, outside shooter, and better at getting his own shots than Rip, he isn't any worse of a defensive player than Martin, and in the right system, he can be pretty efficient.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 07:18 AM)
Struggle to see the bulls trading CJ for only a slight positional upgrade when he knows this system already and Thibs truss him.

It isn't the type of move that helps the Bulls win a title and puts them in a more difficult spot. We still have Watson under contract at least one more year too, where as Crawford would be free. Plus, I think Butler could be a solid role player in time. If I had one knock on Thibbs it is that we haven't seen near enough of Butler. I want that kid to get experience, especially since we have had a lot of blowout wins. He could become a critical backup for Luol in the future.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 02:29 AM)
His shooting is still good. Guys a professional, even in his s*** situation. Never said a bad thing about Chicago.

Martin is currently b****ing.

BG is also a clutch mofo.

You are thinking of a Ben Gordon who does not exist any more.

Kevin Martin was a monster last year, and if it weren't for his coach he'd be a monster this year. We're talking about a guy who can create his OWN SHOT off the dribble, draw fouls aplenty, and bury the rock from anywhere.

It's a cream dream, but comparing Kevin Martin to Ben Gordon is just downright silly. Kevin Martin is 5th in the NBA among shooting guards in PER this year, despite being dicked around by his coach.

I'm going to go ahead and admit that I've been wrong about Carmelo Anthony. I loved him on the Nuggets, he scored, rebounded, chipped in dimes, and hell, he helped my fantasy teams year-in and year-out.

I was jaded by fantasy. How stupid.

He's a completely worthless player without the ball in his hands. Watching that game last night, he just stands around, he doesn't set screens, he doesn't run around to get open, it's sad to see a player of such talent seem so lost and/or disinterested.

This is obviously the worst he has ever played, and I know there's a super star in him like the guy who carried the 2008 USA Olympic team, but that guy doesn't seem willing to come out with the Knicks just yet. You can't have a superstar who so willingly removes himself from the offense unless it's crunch time.

I apologize to all whom I wronged by stated Carmelo Anthony is awesome. He apparently is only awesome when he wants to be, and that's inexcusable.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)
I'm going to go ahead and admit that I've been wrong about Carmelo Anthony. I loved him on the Nuggets, he scored, rebounded, chipped in dimes, and hell, he helped my fantasy teams year-in and year-out.

He's a completely worthless player without the ball in his hands. Watching that game last night, he just stands around, he doesn't set screens, he doesn't run around to get open, it's sad to see a player of such talent seem so lost and/or disinterested.

This is obviously the worst he has ever played, and I know there's a super star in him like the guy who carried the 2008 USA Olympic team, but that guy doesn't seem willing to come out with the Knicks just yet. You can't have a superstar who so willingly removes himself from the offense unless it's crunch time.

I apologize to all whom I wronged by stated Carmelo Anthony is awesome. He apparently is only awesome when he wants to be, and that's inexcusable.

I only wonder how long it is before NY truly turns on him. They are already waffling, and when they lose it, its gonna be ugly. He was supposed to be their superstar savior, but he is just part of the problem

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 09:18 AM)
Struggle to see the bulls trading CJ for only a slight positional upgrade when he knows this system already and Thibs truss him.

Watson knows the system, but Lucas has also came in a did a good job. The drop off between Watson and Lucas isn't that huge to hold the Bulls back from getting a legitimate 6th man. Plus we can use Crawford at point on occasions.

Come playoff time, Derrick will be playing 40 minutes a night, the necessity for a guy like Watson will diminish. We currently don't have a legitimately 6th man and a scoring threat off the bench. Come playoff time, you can bring Crawford off the bench and he will give you instant offense, which is really something we were missing in last year's playoff. I also find it every important for the Bulls to have another guy who can handle the ball (Deng or Rip isn't the guy), especially when teams are trapping Derrick at half court. If we are facing Miami, and if Lebron is shutting down Rose, Crawford gives the Bulls another guy who can get his own shots.

Crawford could be a bigger upgrade than you think, because he possess the skills that the Bulls desperately needs right now.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)

System and coaching are huge parts of that.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 07:54 AM)
Watson knows the system, but Lucas has also came in a did a good job. The drop off between Watson and Lucas isn't that huge to hold the Bulls back from getting a legitimate 6th man. Plus we can use Crawford at point on occasions.

Come playoff time, Derrick will be playing 40 minutes a night, the necessity for a guy like Watson will diminish. We currently doesn't have a legitimately 6th man and a scoring threat off the bench. Come playoff time, you can bring Crawford off the bench and he can give you instant offense, which is really something we were missing in last year's playoff. I also find it every important for the Bulls to have another guy who can handle the ball (Deng or Rip isn't the guy), especially when teams are trapping Derrick at half court. If we are facing Miami, and if Lebron is shutting down Rose, Crawford gives the Bulls another guy who can get his own shot.

Crawford could be a bigger upgrade than you think, because he possess the skills that the Bulls desperately needs right now.

Watson is a good ball handler who come playoff time will be more important, imo. Your rotations get shorter but a guy like Watson, who is probably our best player off the bench (along with Taj & I guess you could argue Brewer), is still going to play a key role. Especially in the instance that teams are pressing the crap out of Rose. You than have a guy like Watson who can bring the ball up and run the point and you can work various screen actions to get the ball in Rose's hands as the off-guard.

Watson is also significantly better than John Lucas. And this is coming from someone who doesn't think Watson is great, but the dude would start for at least 5 or 6 teams in this league.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
I only wonder how long it is before NY truly turns on him. They are already waffling, and when they lose it, its gonna be ugly. He was supposed to be their superstar savior, but he is just part of the problem

He IS the problem.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
He IS the problem.

The rest of their roster is not as good as they appeared either. Steve Novak is not the best shooter in the NBA and Lin is not the best PG, but they plays like it for a couple weeks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)
The rest of their roster is not as good as they appeared either. Steve Novak is not the best shooter in the NBA and Lin is not the best PG, but they plays like it for a couple weeks.

Well, no doubt. If Landry Fields is running the point, it still doesn't excuse Melo just standing around watching everyone until he gets fed the rock.

Last night was so painful to watch.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
Watson is a good ball handler who come playoff time will be more important, imo. Your rotations get shorter but a guy like Watson, who is probably our best player off the bench (along with Taj & I guess you could argue Brewer), is still going to play a key role. Especially in the instance that teams are pressing the crap out of Rose. You than have a guy like Watson who can bring the ball up and run the point and you can work various screen actions to get the ball in Rose's hands as the off-guard.

Watson is also significantly better than John Lucas. And this is coming from someone who doesn't think Watson is great, but the dude would start for at least 5 or 6 teams in this league.

Looking at last year's playoff number, Watson only plays 8 minutes a game, averaged 3 ppg while shooting 34%. Do we really trust Watson as the main shot creator next to Derrick if it comes down to that? We tried with Watson last year and failed. I know he has improved this year, but he's still not a scoring threat.

Watson is not even the caliber of scorer that Crawford is, and he is not a legitimate 6th man.

People often complain that Thibs is playing Deng too much. But Thibs often lets Deng stay in along with the second unit because we do not have a reliable scoring threat in the second unit at the wing position. If we get Crawford, a combination of Brewer, Rip, and Crawford can spell Deng immediately and give him more rest till playoff time. To me, a guy like Crawford can fit next to Derrick very well and can reduce the workload for Deng as well.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 10:10 AM)
I agree with Jason, by the way. A healthy CJ Watson has a lot of value for the Chicago Bulls. He won't be a contract casualty if a deal is made, not that I expect one to be made.

Part of the Bulls value is having a psuedo-starter as a back up to pretty much every position on the floor. That depth is huge. Any deal that doesn't bring back a superstar has to be mindful of not destroying that depth.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
Part of the Bulls value is having a psuedo-starter as a back up to pretty much every position on the floor. That depth is huge. Any deal that doesn't bring back a superstar has to be mindful of not destroying that depth.

ARGH the Bulls are such a well-built regular season team. Hopefully they can get hot when it really matters.