Peavy vs Ozzie

fathom

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 12:18 PM)
You know what's bothering me the most about this post? It's the part I bolded.

First of all, how f***ed up is it that the manager and GM are "having a battle for the affections of the boss"? That sort of thing is complete crap. Their job is to do their job. And in multiple years in a row, it hasn't happened. And it hasn't just been a 1 year nightmare. The guy who got the owner's affection the year beforehand was the manager, he got the soft hitting DH he so wanted, and it wound up being a disaster just as much.

I agree as I wrote the original post. However, I wish instead I had said the direction of the team, or something better. But bottom line, their fighting cost this team a lot. The players were the bigger problem, but no doubt in my mind, their antics were a problem.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 10:36 PM)
I just hope the Ozzie haters don't find a way to blame the upcoming season on him.

Seriously I don't know what some people are going to do if/when the team heads south this season.

Who are the Oz haters going to blame?

In no particular order:

KW

JR

Adam Dunn

Barack Obama

QUOTE (BigHurt @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 04:43 AM)
In no particular order:

KW

JR

Adam Dunn

Barack Obama

Sounds good to me. I'm not going to get all over Robin cause a.) I don't think the manager matters much; if we have a bad team his decisions are really going to look back just cause the players failed him. b.) everybody says he's a good baseball man and good person.

I really hope several of the Sox overachieve. Last season it looked like it was a chore for those guys to go to the ballpark everyday with some exceptions (Paulie, AJ, Mark, dare I say Pierre, CQ).

I just hope the Ozzie haters don't find a way to blame the upcoming season on him.

Seriously I don't know what some people are going to do if/when the team heads south this season.

I dunno, the fact that we're knowingly rebuilding?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 11:00 PM)
Sounds good to me. I'm not going to get all over Robin cause a.) I don't think the manager matters much; if we have a bad team his decisions are really going to look back just cause the players failed him. b.) everybody says he's a good baseball man and good person.

I really hope several of the Sox overachieve. Last season it looked like it was a chore for those guys to go to the ballpark everyday with some exceptions (Paulie, AJ, Mark, dare I say Pierre, CQ).

You've sure spent a lot of time your soapbox defending someone that doesn't matter much.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 11:00 PM)

So if the manager doesn't matter much, why do you give Ozzie all the credit for 2005?

The funny part is despite the depleted roster, someone, at some point, will look at their record and say that we would have been better with Ozzie.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 08:14 AM)

Easy to do. he may have destroyed Dunn's career. He turned Rios into an underachiever, and probably mismanaged the entire pitching staff putting them into position for major injuries this year. The damage he did will take years to undo.

Their may be seeds in reality here.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 06:42 AM)
I dunno, the fact that we're knowingly rebuilding?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 10:21 AM)
So if the manager doesn't matter much, why do you give Ozzie all the credit for 2005?

1.) The way it stands right now, with the roster as is, this team is not rebuilding. Now if more deals are made, maybe u could call it that.

You got Konerko (veteran) at first, Lexi (vet) at ss, AJ (vet) at catcher, Rios (vet in center), Dunn (vet) at DH; tons of veteran pitchers.

How can you say the team is knowingly rebuilding. With Morel and DeAza and Tank and Sale and a couple young relievers? Humber/Zach is not rebuilding. Those are going to be journeymen type pitchers at best.

2.) I never gave Ozzie all the credit for 05. You guys make up so much stuff about what I allegedly say and feel. People have accused me of backing the 05 players too much. I support Ozzie cause he simply, makes me laugh my ass off in interviews. He is hilarious and is as good a manager as you can find, as well. When he did the hulk gesture to bring in Jenks ... that was hilarious and what sports should be about. Not serious all the time and teams charging 50 bucks for parking and 10 bucks for a beer.

And the more I think about it the more pissed I get at the Santos trade and getting rid of Buehrle. Letting Mark go is very very sick and sad.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 10:40 AM)
1.) The way it stands right now, with the roster as is, this team is not rebuilding. Now if more deals are made, maybe u could call it that.

You got Konerko (veteran) at first, Lexi (vet) at ss, AJ (vet) at catcher, Rios (vet in center), Dunn (vet) at DH; tons of veteran pitchers.

How can you say the team is knowingly rebuilding. With Morel and DeAza and Tank and Sale and a couple young relievers? Humber/Zach is not rebuilding. Those are going to be journeymen type pitchers at best.

2.) I never gave Ozzie all the credit for 05. You guys make up so much stuff about what I allegedly say and feel. People have accused me of backing the 05 players too much. I support Ozzie cause he simply, makes me laugh my ass off in interviews. He is hilarious and is as good a manager as you can find, as well. When he did the hulk gesture to bring in Jenks ... that was hilarious and what sports should be about. Not serious all the time and teams charging 50 bucks for parking and 10 bucks for a beer.

And the more I think about it the more pissed I get at the Santos trade and getting rid of Buehrle. Letting Mark go is very very sick and sad.

You do realize that them charging $25 for parking and $8 for beer is what allows the team to keep players like Paulie??

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 10:40 AM)

In your post, you say that Ozzie is as good a manager as you can find, but earlier you said the manager doesn't matter? I believe you have predicted that Ozzie will win a WS in Florida because he will keep improving as a manager.

It made no sense for the Sox to give Mark the same amount of money that Miami did, no one else gave him such a large contract offer. He wasn't really offering a hometown discount like last time, he took the highest contract offered to him. Not really sure how that constitutes "very very sick".

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 07:17 PM)
In your post, you say that Ozzie is as good a manager as you can find, but earlier you said the manager doesn't matter? I believe you have predicted that Ozzie will win a WS in Florida because he will keep improving as a manager.

It made no sense for the Sox to give Mark the same amount of money that Miami did, no one else gave him such a large contract offer. He wasn't really offering a hometown discount like last time, he took the highest contract offered to him. Not really sure how that constitutes "very very sick".

Mark deserves every penny. He's like having another coach on the team with his great approach to pitching.

I think it is ridiculous the Sox didn't ante up the money.

Thanks Kenny for giving the cash to Rios and Dunn and Peavy. Nice moves all.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 07:38 PM)
It's very telling that he listed Ozzie being funny first, before claiming he was a good manager in his list of reason why he loves Ozzie...

I gave reasons for loving his personality. Baseball shouldn't be rocket science, except to those of your who just love and worship everything about Sabes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 10:27 PM)
Mark deserves every penny. He's like having another coach on the team with his great approach to pitching.

Screw that, we could have just brought in J. Moyer on a minor league deal. Mark took the money and ran...no shame in that. I'm much happier that the Sox used that money to extend Danks instead.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)

What approach to pitching? Because he pitches quickly? That works for him, it doesn't work for everyone. Some of the best pitchers take hours to throw a pitch, it doesn't make them bad. I'd much rather give that money to Danks, which they did.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 10:37 PM)
I don't recall ever hearing about Mark coaching other pitchers.

He led by example. The smart ones copied his style of working quickly and ignored the style of Edwin (snail's pace) Jackson. Mark had the balls to take the ball and deliver it quickly. It was always on his terms.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 04:50 AM)
He led by example. The smart ones copied his style of working quickly and ignored the style of Edwin (snail's pace) Jackson. Mark had the balls to take the ball and deliver it quickly. It was always on his terms.

Working fast means absolutely nothing. The only thing anyone gives it credit for is keeping the defense on its toes. However, care to explain how Buerhle led the team in unearned runs last year?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)

So, who were the smart ones between July 2010 and July 2011?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 07:50 PM)

Were you complaining in 2005 when Jose Contreras was mowing everyone down left and right in the post season using his snail's pace?