PENN STATE SCANDAL

Texsox

QUOTE (Tex @ May 26, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
I hope they can rebuild and continue winning. Otherwise it sends a message about what you need to do to win in college football that I really would hate to be true.

Systematic coverup of sexual assault shouldn't be required to be competitive. I understand the ncaa violations and whatnot but there is no excuse for that many adults in positions of power to ignore and discourage these types of things.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 26, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
Systematic coverup of sexual assault shouldn't be required to be competitive. I understand the ncaa violations and whatnot but there is no excuse for that many adults in positions of power to ignore and discourage these types of things.

I'm thinking more about the character of those athletes that they recruited. How they seemed to value athletic ability above everything.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 26, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
I'm thinking more about the character of those athletes that they recruited. How they seemed to value athletic ability above everything.

That's already been proven a while ago. Talent wins football games and those coaches get paid way too much money to not win. Every team has guys that may be considered low character according to some. Every large group of students on a college campus has a few kids like that.

But Briles didn't get fired for recruiting low character guys. He was fired because those guys were accused of committing horrific crimes and Briles went after the victims and din't even think about disciplining his own players.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 26, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
That's already been proven a while ago. Talent wins football games and those coaches get paid way too much money to not win. Every team has guys that may be considered low character according to some. Every large group of students on a college campus has a few kids like that.

But Briles didn't get fired for recruiting low character guys. He was fired because those guys were accused of committing horrific crimes and Briles went after the victims and din't even think about disciplining his own players.

Disgusting what he did.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 26, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)

But if they commit crimes or are accused of those you have to remove them not cover it up.

• 1 month later...

Testimony revealed today that Paterno knew about Sandusky's action back in 1976. But LET's BUILD THE STATUE!

Greg Schiano and Tom Bradley were also told by McQueary in the early 90s.

Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 7m7 minutes ago

Bombshells in Mike McQueary's unsealed 2015 testimony about Tom Bradley & Greg Schiano having knowledge of Sandusky abuse in early '90s.

Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 5m5 minutes ago

McQueary: Bradley told him Schiano came into office "white as a ghost and said he just saw Jerry doing something to a boy in the shower."

Just came here to post that.

http://deadspin.com/unsealed-court-documen...-was-1783508016

A newly unsealed report from a risk-management expert found six different instances where sexual abuse allegations against former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky were either witnessed by other coaches or reported to university officials, including a 1976 allegation where one alleged victim made a report directly to head coach Joe Paterno.

The documents are part of a court battle in which Penn State is trying to recoup from its insurance provider millions of dollars paid out in settlements to Sandusky’s victims. That insurance provider’s defense is that Penn State officials kept the allegations secret, and in doing so failed to prevent future instances of abuse.

From the unsealed documents:

The victim, who was identified in court records as John Doe 150, said that while he was attending a football camp at Penn State, Sandusky touched him as he showered. Sandusky’s finger penetrated the boy’s rectum, Doe testified in court in 2014, and the victim asked to speak with Paterno about it. Doe testified that he specifically told Paterno that Sandusky had sexually assaulted him, and Paterno ignored it.

“Is it accurate that Coach Paterno quickly said to you, ‘I don’t want to hear about any of that kind of stuff, I have a football season to worry about?’” the man’s lawyer asked him in 2014.

“Specifically. Yes . . . I was shocked, disappointed, offended. I was insulted. . . I said, is that all you’re going to do? You’re not going to do anything else?”

Paterno, the man testified, just walked away.

Whole lot of the posts defending Paterno in this thread looked bad then and only look worse now.

eta: the defenses in the original PSU thread look even worse than those in this thread given that we now know Paterno knew Sandusky was abusing boys going back to the 70's, not just the 98 and 02 incidents.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
can I take the "RIP" off this title? I hope Paterno is in hell for what he did in the name of football success

Seems appropriate.

"The Joe Paterno Situation"

"Penn State Scandal Catch-all"

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
I can't believe how many people ran into this and didn't do anything.

Its almost as if one particular person was the most powerful person in that program in that city and that person was the one making sure no one did anything.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
Its almost as if one particular person was the most powerful person in that program in that city and that person was the one making sure no one did anything.

Even so, when it was just a janitor, a kid here. They won't go elsewhere. The scale is so large, people talk. Was this an open secret? Were they just that well manipulated? It is mindnumbing.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
Even so, when it was just a janitor, a kid here. They won't go elsewhere. The scale is so large, people talk. Was this an open secret? Were they just that well manipulated? It is mindnumbing.

The janitors who caught him with a kid in 2000, per the Freeh report, did not report him and stated they did not do so because they believed their jobs would be in jeopardy if they did so and that it would have made no difference.

Janitor B explained to the Special Investigative Counsel that reporting the incident "would have been like going against the President of the United States in my eyes." "I know Paterno has so much power, if he wanted to get rid of someone, I would have been gone." He explained "football runs this University," and said the University would have closed ranked to protect the football program at all costs..”

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 19, 2016 -> 12:55 PM)
there was some horrific pictures retweeted from the tailgate. Zero awareness by happy valley

You have to understand that part of Penn to really get why its a weird cult. These are not the type of people you would find yourself socializing with.