Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)
I don't know if that can win a super bowl, but if you fortify the running game with an extra back and add in a possession WR to help bail out Tebow, Denver's formula ought to be able to put out a decent number of wins.

The NFL is a throwing league, Tebow is a weak armed innacurate passer.It's over for Timmy.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)
Playing in bad weather will hurt Green Bays offense too. If you look at the teams in the NFC playoffs going to Green Bay isnt as big a disadvantage as it seems. The Saints have very comparable receiving weapons to the Packers with probably the best option between both teams being Jimmy Graham. The Saints also have a better offensive line and the x factor being the Saints having a much better stable of running backs. So if the weather is awful then the Saints are more equipped to keep the ball on the ground.

Atlanta has been on fire lately and as the Packers know momentum going into the playoffs can be huge. Michael Turner could have a huge game against the Pack in Green Bay too.

San Fran has the defense and running game which is a better formula for bad weather but if they got down vs Green Bay they dont have the offensive firepower to keep up.

The Giants are hot right now and have essentially played playoff games the past 2 weeks. As someone else said they have the pass rushers to disrupt the passing game too. Eli, Cruz, Nicks and Co also can handle bad weather.

I dont think the Lions could beat the Pack considering they lost to them without the MVP yesterday. I dont think it matters though because I dont see Detroit getting past New Orleans anyway.

I don't think the weather will be a problem. It was pretty windy yesterday in Green Bay and that didn't seem to bother either team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 04:12 PM)
If you were in John Elway's seat and you had a pick around #21, an 8-8 team, and the option to do whatever you wanted without the fans killing you, would you draft a late first round QB, would you sign a FA, or would you go with Tebow?

I'd draft the best available player on the board. They need help in a lot of places still. Now that Barkley isn't coming out this year, and Luck and Griffin will be long gone, I don't know that there is a QB you really want to put your fate in.

The Tebow situation is really delicate. The fans love him, his teammates love him. He's so freaking smooth with the media...its going to be difficult to unseat him unless you do it with someone that just completely eliminates all debate, with the media, with the players, with the fans, etc. IMO, Elway has a really difficult task ahead of him.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)
Draft...no team would let a capable QB go FA and Tebow is just not an option.

So, right around there, you're looking at maybe Landry Jones on the board, maybe Ryan Tannehill still as QB's that could be around with a first round grade.

Do you look at either of those and say "This guy is going to take my franchise to the next level"?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
I'd draft the best available player on the board. They need help in a lot of places still. Now that Barkley isn't coming out this year, and Luck and Griffin will be long gone, I don't know that there is a QB you really want to put your fate in.

The Tebow situation is really delicate. The fans love him, his teammates love him. He's so freaking smooth with the media...its going to be difficult to unseat him unless you do it with someone that just completely eliminates all debate, with the media, with the players, with the fans, etc. IMO, Elway has a really difficult task ahead of him.

What I would say is that I don't think they can find a QB at that slot which will take them another full level upwards...but they definitely need additional depth at the QB slot. With their situation, they could probably gamble on one of the guys in the 2nd or 3rd round to add depth at the spot, put him on the bench and work him for a few games, where if Tebow repeats his last 4 games in the first 4 of next season, maybe you pull the plug once he's 0-4.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
What I would say is that I don't think they can find a QB at that slot which will take them another full level upwards...but they definitely need additional depth at the QB slot. With their situation, they could probably gamble on one of the guys in the 2nd or 3rd round to add depth at the spot, put him on the bench and work him for a few games, where if Tebow repeats his last 4 games in the first 4 of next season, maybe you pull the plug once he's 0-4.

Yeah, either that or just let Brady Quinn play. I still don't think he's ever been given the shot he deserves.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 01:08 PM)
Yeah, they're on the decline, actually. The injuries are starting to catch up with them. The Saints and Giants seem to be fairly close to their peak while the Packers are on the downslope. I'd like to add that the Falcons are playing their best ball of the year, too.

I think the Saints may just beat Green Bay in the NFC Championship.

How is a team that goes 15-1, outscores their opponents by over 200 points over the course of the season and just beating another playoff team with mostly their reserves on the decline? I understand that since this is a Sox board there are a lot of Bears fans. However, I'd like to hear some reasoning for this "decline" other than just stating it as fact without any actual explanation.

The regression on the Packers D can be attributed to a few factors in my mind. First, they lost one of the best safeties in the league in Nick Collins which I believe someone else mentioned earlier. Also, they lost Cullen Jenkins at DE who had a very nice end of the year last year. Without Jenkins getting pressure from the D-line it gives teams a lot more freedom to double guys like Matthews and Raji. Raji has not regressed much in my mind. The issue is that he is getting doubled up a lot and is being forced to play more of a run stuffing role than a pass rushing role. Despite the fact that they are giving up a lot of yardage they still lead the league in interceptions.

Also, you do realize that the Saints will have to play outside if they face the Packers in the NFC Championship, right? The same Saints who are 5-3 on the road and 3-2 in outdoor games. The same Saints who haven't scored 40 points outside in one game this year (including the season opener in much nicer weather conditions than it will be in January). The Packers are 8-0 at home and 12-1 outdoors this season. As I said before, they lead the league in interceptions. Brees has already thrown 14 picks this season. He is also much more mortal outdoors vs indoors. Just something to think about before crowning the Saints.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)
How is a team that goes 15-1, outscores their opponents by over 200 points over the course of the season and just beating another playoff team with mostly their reserves on the decline? I understand that since this is a Sox board there are a lot of Bears fans. However, I'd like to hear some reasoning for this "decline" other than just stating it as fact without any actual explanation.

The regression on the Packers D can be attributed to a few factors in my mind. First, they lost one of the best safeties in the league in Nick Collins which I believe someone else mentioned earlier. Also, they lost Cullen Jenkins at DE who had a very nice end of the year last year. Without Jenkins getting pressure from the D-line it gives teams a lot more freedom to double guys like Matthews and Raji. Raji has not regressed much in my mind. The issue is that he is getting doubled up a lot and is being forced to play more of a run stuffing role than a pass rushing role. Despite the fact that they are giving up a lot of yardage they still lead the league in interceptions.

People are saying they're on the decline because they looked like much more of a complete team last year. The defense has definitely regressed and we saw what happened when the Chiefs were able to control the clock and not give that Green Bay defense the turnover's it need.

Raji has, without a doubt, declined. He has 13 tackles, three sacks, one qb hit, and 16 hurries. That's on 885 snaps. And of course he's double teamed, he's a nosetackle. It doesn't mean he's allowed to be invisible for most of the game.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)

Also, you do realize that the Saints will have to play outside if they face the Packers in the NFC Championship, right? The same Saints who are 5-3 on the road and 3-2 in outdoor games. The same Saints who haven't scored 40 points outside in one game this year (including the season opener in much nicer weather conditions than it will be in January). The Packers are 8-0 at home and 12-1 outdoors this season. As I said before, they lead the league in interceptions. Brees has already thrown 14 picks this season. He is also much more mortal outdoors vs indoors. Just something to think about before crowning the Saints.

Nobody is saying the Packers suck, all we are saying is that the Packers won last year not only because of Rodgers, the defense was was really really good.They never trailed by more than a TD last year, this year the Packers D has given up a ton of points and the O has carried them.

Sure the Pack can win by outscoring the other team in a shootout but a team like the Saints or like someone else pointed out, the Giants with their solid D and competant offense, can upset the Packers.

I think a lot of people are underrating how good the Packers D was last year and how important they were to their SB run, it wasn't all just Rodgers.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)
Nobody is saying the Packers suck, all we are saying is that the Packers won last year not only because of Rodgers, the defense was was really really good.They never trailed by more than a TD last year, this year the Packers D has given up a ton of points and the O has carried them.

Sure the Pack can win by outscoring the other team in a shootout but a team like the Saints or like someone else pointed out, the Giants with their solid D and competant offense, can upset the Packers.

I think a lot of people are underrating how good the Packers D was last year and how important they were to their SB run, it wasn't all just Rodgers.

On that, I definitely agree with you. While Rodgers was spectacular in the playoffs, the defense was definitely superior to the offense the majority of last season.

I am hoping that with their playoff seed all but locked up the past few weeks, Capers has been calling a rather vanilla scheme and will have some new way to create a pass rush once the Pack play again in two weeks.

IDK if this has been talked about yet, but does Flynn's performance yesterday take some votes away from Rodgers for MVP?

If anything, it proves that the weapons the Packers have are a big reason why Rodgers has a 120 something QB rating.

Plus, I don't think Drew Brees has been much worse.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 07:56 PM)
IDK if this has been talked about yet, but does Flynn's performance yesterday take some votes away from Rodgers for MVP?

If anything, it proves that the weapons the Packers have are a big reason why Rodgers has a 120 something QB rating.

Plus, I don't think Drew Brees has been much worse.

It hurts that he didn't get 5,000 yards. I think that the hype is still enough that he will get it - it just won't be as unanimous as previously thought.

Rodgers 45%

Brees 35%

Brady 15%

Tebow 5% (that's the ESPN contingent)

I think it should be Co-MVPs actually. The main difference in the stats is the ints from Brees but from the Saints game I watched hes had a lot of ints that werent his fault. Most recently I can think of the one that Jimmy Graham popped up in the air in the end zone against Atlanta. If I had to pick one Id say Rodgers but I think both of them deserve it and since theyve had Co-MVPs before that this wouldnt be a bad year to do it again.

Throw Manning and Cutler into the mix because of how their teams did without them

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 07:24 PM)
I think it should be Co-MVPs actually. The main difference in the stats is the ints from Brees but from the Saints game I watched hes had a lot of ints that werent his fault. Most recently I can think of the one that Jimmy Graham popped up in the air in the end zone against Atlanta. If I had to pick one Id say Rodgers but I think both of them deserve it and since theyve had Co-MVPs before that this wouldnt be a bad year to do it again.

Throw Manning and Cutler into the mix because of how their teams did without them

Don't forget Tebow!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)

I have no problem with that hire at all. Keep him out of the driver's seat by all means, but he's a good defensive mind and some defensive creativity will go a long ways towards making the Bills a playoff team.

The Bills needs going into next season are resigning Stevie Johnson, bringing in a good pass rusher (if not 2), and shoring up the secondary. They could use help along the offensive line, a weapon for Fitzpatrick, and some sort of developmental QB. They got off to a great start this year and there are a few pieces in place to make this work. And, it was the same story as last year, but half of their losses were by a touchdown or less. I realize that they had 2 miraculous comebacks in weeks 2 and 3, and that a lot of losses come that way as well, but they are still an improving team. I'm not necessarily sure if Fitzpatrick is going to be a guy that can lead them to a Superbowl or even a deep playoff run, but he can definitely get them to the playoffs and, barring Peyton Manning being traded to the Jets or Dolphins (which I could totally see happening which would piss me right the hell off), I see them in the playoffs next year.

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/bears-talk/...mp;feedID=10330

Toub will interview for Dolphins job

January 2, 2012, 4:23 pm

TONY ANDRACKI

csnchicago.png

Some Bears fans have called for changes on the coaching staff, but Dave Toub is not one of the guys on the hot seat. However, that may not be enough to keep the special teams coordinator with the team next season.

Toub has aspirations of moving up the NFL ladder and will interview for the Miami Dolphins' head coaching position, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Toub's unit has been consistently at the top of the NFL rankings since took over as ST coordinator under Lovie Smith eight seasons ago. The Bears' special teams were ranked third heading into Week 17.

The 49-year-old coach has also been linked to head-coaching vacancy for the Jacksonville Jaguars and may be on the St. Louis Rams' radar as well.

Toub's contract is currently up, but the Bears have exclusive negotiating rights for the next 15 days.

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/bears-talk/...mp;feedID=10330

Urlacher MRI shows no ACL damage

January 2, 2012, 3:14 pm

Urlacher injured his knee while leaping for a pass deflection in the endzone Sunday, but isn't expected to miss any time next season. (AP)

A day after linebacker Brian Urlacher limped off the field with his left knee wrapped in an iceberg and the Metrodome crowd giving him a standing ovation, the news was borderline good for a Bears team in need of some.

Urlacher has a sprained left MCL and partially sprained PCL but no damage to his ACL or knee cartilage, according to ChicagoBears.com.

The exam and diagnosis were handled by team doctors Gordon Nuber and Michael Corcoran. The injuries will not require surgery and Urlacher projects to be ready for the start of training camp, with measured participation in the Bears’ offseason sessions.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 05:21 PM)

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that they are still not the best team in the League at this point. I'm just pointing out that they seemed to have peaked around Turkey Day and now I believe they are struggling a bit, whereas they weren't really missing a beat all year until now.

I still consider them the favorites to win the SB, but I do see them as being beatable now whereas I didn't about 6 weeks ago.