What is left to do this off season?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
Realistically, what would you like to see Kenny Williams do the rest of this off season? Any more players need to be traded? Any cheap free agents out there would taking a chance on?

Trade Gavin and and Matt please.

Realistically, what would you like to see Kenny Williams do the rest of this off season? Any more players need to be traded? Any cheap free agents out there would taking a chance on?

I'd like to see Gavin and Thornton traded. We need to add several key prospects to this organzation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)

Trade Gavin and Thornton if the return is good and sign Solar and Concepcion. The emphasis this off-season was young pitching and I think that is going well with Molina, Castro, Webb, and Jaye (plus those minor league pitching contracts early on). I think the return on Floyd and Thornton would at least equal that list of talent and then Soler and Concepcion would be the cherry on top.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)
For those who are saying trade Thornton and Floyd, what time of return do you have to have to make a deal?

Nothing jaw dropping. If it was to the BoSox I'd say something like Brandon Jacobs/Bryce Bentz, Anthony Workman and Stoly Pimentel. I think Bentz is closer to the bigs, but Jacobs has better potential, workman should be a decent innings eater in the majors and Pimentel has hit 97 with the fastball, but is still very raw.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 05:21 PM)
I'm betting he deals Floyd and Thornton in minor transactions before ST.

He'll get 4-5 minor leaguers for the two of them combined.

Hopefully some minor leaguers who make the bigs at some point.

Floyd alone is worth a couple near major league-ready guys or one who's ready and some minor stuff. I don't think Floyd will be traded before the season starts unless KW can get a very good return.

I don't think any of them are traded. What's left to do this offseason involves Adam Dunn dropping another 10 lbs, Alex Rios working hard, 15,000 more swings for Gordon Beckham, and a lot of writing articles about how motivated Rios is for the year.

There will be some ST fights fro those backup roles and for the last bullpen slot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 11:38 PM)
I don't think any of them are traded. What's left to do this offseason involves Adam Dunn dropping another 10 lbs, Alex Rios working hard, 15,000 more swings for Gordon Beckham, and a lot of writing articles about how motivated Rios is for the year.

There will be some ST fights fro those backup roles and for the last bullpen slot.

I hope u are right.

At least this current team has a shot to win the division in theory if everything went right. I want to win. I hate rebuilding.

Listen on Crain, but prepared not to be bowled over. (And he's needed for Reed "insurance/depth.")

With Oliver and Rhodes two of the best LHR FA's previously avail on the market, he's moveable without eating any of that contract.

More FA signings of Cubans/Latin players.

Hire the Marco Paddy of the Asian baseball world...as well as being on the cutting edge in Brazil and India to develop Sox academies there.

Edited by caulfield12

Thornton may be a good mid-year trade candidate. 1/2 of his salary is exhausted by then, teams often give a little more at that time and he's a really good pitcher - a lot of his struggles last year weren't his fault and he had a pretty solid 2nd half last year. He has been one of the best lefties in baseball over the last several years.

And if we trade him, who do we have from the left side in the pen? Ohman? Yikes!

This division is still crap, so we may want to keep him by midyear.

Floyd, we should trade.

1) Sign Soler

2) Sign as many International Free Agents as possible before the July 2nd deadline

3) Trade Thornton during Spring Training/Injuries will arise and hopefully teams will overpay even though he's owed 12 million

4) Improve our scouting department and give reassurance to the fans they will be spending all of allocated money given to them for the upcoming draft/International signings

Edited by PolishPrince34