Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kalapse,

Hadnt seen that quote before where it mentioned Polumula. It also is strange because of the timing as according to the Te'o story he was with her in 2009. If Mauia met her in 2011 then she had definitely met Te'o if she is the same person.

Nov. 28, 2009: Te'o and Kekua meet after Stanford's 45-38 victory over Notre Dame in Palo Alto, according to the South Bend Tribune: "Their stares got pleasantly tangled, then Manti Te'o extended his hand to the stranger with a warm smile and soulful eyes." Kekua, a Stanford student, swaps phone numbers with Te'o.

So you would have thought she might mention that she was good friends with another football player, Te'o.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 06:06 AM)
"Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not Te'o's parents saying that they ever met her. At least if that's the quote everyone is relying on.

IIRC from reading this afternoon, the Deadspin article makes it explicitly clear that the family never met her.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 11:04 PM)
This is probably the strangest news story I've ever seen. I'm fascinated.

2nd that....................this is twilight zone stuff here..............gets more bizarre by the hour!

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 11:10 PM)
IIRC from reading this afternoon, the Deadspin article makes it explicitly clear that the family never met her.

Yea, I remember that too.

Not absolving Te'o himself of anything, but his parents might legitimately not have known what had happened.

Im actually starting to lean more towards this is some sort of well established scam.

Here is my reasoning, Mauia seems to be the only person in this that has no real motive. Why would he speak out for no reason? Why would he defend a dead girl that is supposedly a hoax? What does he have to gain?

To me that makes his testimony credible.

And the part that he said that makes me think scam is "Her father had just died".

Why does that make me think scam? In the Te'o story the girl was also in a bad situation. Car accident, cancer, death. These are all things that make a caring person more likely to give money etc. Its a classic scam "I am in a bad situation, I would never ask for this, but could you please do X, I really really need it".

He allegedly gave her the game ball to some ND game I think. If that is his story, find out where he sent it, track it and youll get your answer.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 11:16 PM)
Im actually starting to lean more towards this is some sort of well established scam.

Here is my reasoning, Mauia seems to be the only person in this that has no real motive. Why would he speak out for no reason? Why would he defend a dead girl that is supposedly a hoax? What does he have to gain?

To me that makes his testimony credible.

And the part that he said that makes me think scam is "Her father had just died".

Why does that make me think scam? In the Te'o story the girl was also in a bad situation. Car accident, cancer, death. These are all things that make a caring person more likely to give money etc. Its a classic scam "I am in a bad situation, I would never ask for this, but could you please do X, I really really need it".

He allegedly gave her the game ball to some ND game I think. If that is his story, find out where he sent it, track it and youll get your answer.

Samoan Nigerian Prince scheme.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 11:28 PM)
Brian Hamilton ‏@ChiTribHamilton

Manti Te'o on 12/8, 2 days after hoaxers call again: "I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer.

I think that guy is quoting a typo. One of the articles incorrectly states Te'o found out on December 6. I believe the actual date is December 26th. They are missing a "2" once in a while. Thats what happens when you crank out a story in an hour.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 06:31 AM)
I think that guy is quoting a typo. One of the articles incorrectly states Te'o found out on December 6. I believe the actual date is December 26th. They are missing a "2" once in a while. Thats what happens when you crank out a story in an hour.

He found out the 6th at the awards show in Orlando.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 11:33 PM)
He found out the 6th at the awards show in Orlando.

Yeah Im merging dates at this point. He told ND on the 26th.

(edit)

I just assumed that the day he found out he told ND. At least that would be a good lie/story.

Edited by Soxbadger