2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 08:35 AM)
This was more the fact that Toub directly competed with Trestman for the job and Trestman was the better man. There could be a lot of sour grapes in that situation. Sounds like one of the guys we interviewed for HC might end up our special teams coach.

FWIW Toub was just interviewed on Mully and Hanley and it didnt sound like sour grapes at all. First off, he just became the highest paid ST coach in the league, and second off, he said it was time to try something new and see if he could succeed elsewhere.

He was very complimentary of Trestman and of Emery interviewing him, he said it didnt feel like a sham interview, he really felt like he was given the opportunity to earn the job.

They have far more pressing needs, like resigning Melton and finding an oline. Bears also reportedly hire Saints interim interim head coach (and oline coach) as the OC/Oline coach which spells the end of Tice. Very curious what happens with Marinelli. I really hope he stays.

As a outsider looking in, Besides Marshall I see the rest of your WR's a huge weakness. Hester used to be a great ST player but he isn't that good at the WR position. The other 2 are good backup role players. Your #1 weakness on offense is the tight end position, maybe you will draft the TE from ND. You can find several good OL in the draft. A team with Cutler, Forte, Marshall, Wallace and solid TE, would win tbe NFC North for the next 3-4 years

The Bears made some very good moves today

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 08:51 AM)
As a outsider looking in, Besides Marshall I see the rest of your WR's a huge weakness. Hester used to be a great ST player but he isn't that good at the WR position. The other 2 are good backup role players. Your #1 weakness on offense is the tight end position, maybe you will draft the TE from ND. You can find several good OL in the draft. A team with Cutler, Forte, Marshall, Wallace and solid TE, would win tbe NFC North for the next 3-4 years

Win the NFC North for the next 3-4 years? More like 10-20 years.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 06:51 AM)

There is no reason not to have confidence in Jeffrey. Bears need a speed receiver, but they should be able to target a much cheaper one that can fit the bill. TE is a much higher priority. spending a bunch of money on a wideout when you invested a 2nd ruond pick in Jeffrey (and have Marshall) would be a foolish waste of money.

I think Bennett is always going to be a complimentary guy but Jeffery could be very good next season, he really had a knack for getting open and making contested catches this year.

Is that enough? One stud, one guy who's pretty good and another who's kinda mid-range? I'm not sure, but I'm not against adding someone else to that mix.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 08:27 AM)
Honestly, Kromer alone adds about as much to our OL's effectiveness as signing a free agent or spending a 1st day pick in the draft. Dude knows how to coach those guys.

Until he became an HC and OC, Mike Tice was widely considered one of the best O-line coaches in the league.

Bears hire Trestman I am on the fence not excited or mad. My only question If he was so good as media says why did he have to wait so long to get NFL head coaching job since 2004?

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)
Bears hire Trestman I am on the fence not excited or mad. My only question If he was so good as media says why did he have to wait so long to get NFL head coaching job since 2004?

That's the way it should be when a team hires a coach. No one knows if he will be good or bad.

Right away people either think this is the worst move ever or He will win us a Super Bowl.

Much like draft picks you have to wait 2-3 years to really know.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
That's the way it should be when a team hires a coach. No one knows if he will be good or bad.

Right away people either think this is the worst move ever or He will win us a Super Bowl.

Much like draft picks you have to wait 2-3 years to really know.

Unless you are a University of Illinois football fan.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)
The Score meatheads are in rare form this morning

They really, really are - so many people with so many opinions on a hire they have no clue about... just sad.

We'll see what happens, hopefully this hire is a stroke of genius.

Sources tell the Chicago Sun-Times that new coach Marc Trestman is likely to retain Rod Marinelli as his defensive coordinator.

Trestman and the Bears would be silly to dump Marinelli. The Bears' defense ranked fifth in yards allowed, third in points allowed, first in interceptions, second in forced fumbles and eighth in sacks. By keeping Marinelli in charge of the unit, there will still be some continuity even though Lovie Smith is gone.

Source: Chicago Sun-Times