2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 11:08 AM)
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

In one fell swoop, new Jacksonville GM made the Jaguars a potentially interesting landing spot for two #49ers ... http://sacb.ee/XUzDwI

I could care less about the other stuff but this made me laugh

On his first day as the general manager in Jacksonville, Caldwell did two things: He fired head coach Mike Mularkey and said in clear, read-my-lips fashion that Tim Tebow – who played high school football in Jacksonville and was long-rumored to be heading to the Jaguars – was not welcome.

"I can't imagine a scenario in which he'll be a Jacksonville Jaguar – even if he's released," Caldwell said at his introductory news conference.

One of the dumbfounded reporters in the room made him repeat it.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
I could care less about the other stuff but this made me laugh

At least he is smart enough to recognize what a problem he is for a coaching staff to deal with...you want to talk about a "coach killer."

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
Just like Jim Harbaugh never would have had to settle coaching San Diego State and Stanford, right?

The Bills hired a college coach who went 25-25 from a mediocre football school in a weak football conference and I'm ecstatic about the hire because of his reputation around the league and, honestly, how hotly pursued he was. Does it mean success? Not at all, but he's already brought in Pettine from the Jets who, even though Rex Ryan felt otherwise, still had a top 10 defense this year and were consistently in the top 5-10 under his reign.

I honestly think, with a search process this extensive and lengthy, I think if he were hired, you'd have to atleast hold off judgment.

But Jim Harbaugh was a new coach...he was developing his career in a new field. This guy has been around the block for 30 years now.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 11:33 AM)
At least he is smart enough to recognize what a problem he is for a coaching staff to deal with...you want to talk about a "coach killer."

The only advantage was that in Jacksonville he would have made an impact in revenues. Unless you have a good team in place he may have been worth it as you are rebuilding the rest of the team.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 11:33 AM)

It is good that the new GM isnt going for the PR stunt instead of trying to win more games. I still think there is a good shot Tebow ends up in the CFL if he thinks he is a starting QB. I am sure there are plenty of teams out there willing to give him the second QB job/wildcat position, but Tebow really didnt seem to embrace that job with the Jets.

Just like Jim Harbaugh never would have had to settle coaching San Diego State and Stanford, right?

The Bills hired a college coach who went 25-25 from a mediocre football school in a weak football conference and I'm ecstatic about the hire because of his reputation around the league and, honestly, how hotly pursued he was. Does it mean success? Not at all, but he's already brought in Pettine from the Jets who, even though Rex Ryan felt otherwise, still had a top 10 defense this year and were consistently in the top 5-10 under his reign.

I honestly think, with a search process this extensive and lengthy, I think if he were hired, you'd have to atleast hold off judgment.

Not the same in any way. Trestman has been out of NFL since 2004 very old school...........Harbaugh new guard!

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
I'd tend to agree if I didn't see so many OCs and DCs not pan out. It appears there are lots of intangibles to being a successful nfl head coach, that we can't put our finger on. That said i hope this is false. Though it'd be great if a great D coach came back out of the woodwork, and Emery chose trestman for offense.

Well part of the intangibles are the GM and players. There is no precise formula for how to pick a coach, but I know how I would go about it.

You cant compare Harbaugh or Marrone to Trestman. Harbaugh and Marrone are 9 years younger than Trestman, and both of them followed the normal career path for HC. Trestman is an outlier because he took a job in the CFL which is very unusual. Why is that odd? Because as this article points out ( http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-...193904982.html) that even as an OC in the NCAA he would make more money.

In comparison, Harbuagh and Marrone have never had to make a lateral or backwards move. They have always progressed (position coach, coordinator, head coach.)

Trestman man turn out to be the best coach that has ever existed. But you have to question why a guy who is so good, would be taking less money, to work in a lessor league.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
That would have to be one of the best combos that could exist.

Just like Martz and Lovie? Turner loves throwing the ball downfield too and the Eagles offensive line is just as bad as the Bears is. If they had the right personnel, then yes, it would be a perfect fit, but I feel like it could be Lovie and Martz part two.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 07:07 PM)
Just like Martz and Lovie? Turner loves throwing the ball downfield too and the Eagles offensive line is just as bad as the Bears is. If they had the right personnel, then yes, it would be a perfect fit, but I feel like it could be Lovie and Martz part two.

Turner's success has lasted through so many teams with so many different talent levels (offensively). Martz's offense worked well once with one of the most talented teams of all time.

Turner was the first coach to make alex smith look like a real QB.

I don't think you can compare the situations.

I think Turner's system is better than Martz's for Lovie. He is much more experienced with balanced run attacks (Dallas Cowboys) than Martz ever was. Martz was great with Faulk, but that was a lot more about getting guys into open space. Martz never seemed to do well with a smash mouth approach.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 12:39 PM)
That was 35 years ago. Should we be hiring people in other industries the same way we did 35 years ago?

I'm open to it...and from all accounts, the guy is a pretty bright guy...but usually there is a reason that bright people get stuck working for mediocre companies or in positions they seem overqualified for, and that is because they have some kind of fatal flaw. Just makes me wonder if he has one.

From the article I posted when Trestmans name was first talked about...

Trestman is not on anyone's radar in the NFL because, well, because there's this idea that he's bright and innovative and pieces together a nice passing game and all that, but that he really isn't cut out to be a head coach. He's too nice or too docile or too cerebral or just not head-coaching material, whatever that means.

Doesn't that sound like an offensive Lovie Smith??

Oh and my god, I know its a different game out in Canada but Anthony Cavillo, Trestmans QB in the CFL, went from never completing more than 66% of his passes in his first 3 years to completing 89.9% of his passes in Trestmans first year....That's insane!

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
From the article I posted when Trestmans name was first talked about...

Doesn't that sound like an offensive Lovie Smith??

Oh and my god, I know its a different game out in Canada but Anthony Cavillo, Trestmans QB in the CFL, went from never completing more than 66% of his passes in his first 3 years to completing 89.9% of his passes in Trestmans first year....That's insane!

He's won 2 of the last 3 titles. I mean, that has to mean something right?

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)
Ya at the very least he needs a chance and I'd love for it to be with the Bears. He was too much knowledge to be wasted over in Canada....I hope he's the guy they hire.

It seems to me that taking an OC position in the NFL would be a more logical step than a HC?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)
It seems to me that taking an OC position in the NFL would be a more logical step than a HC?

He had the opportunity to be the OC in Nawlins with Sean Payton but turned it down. He's happy in Canada, I don't think he comes back unless he gets the keys to the ship.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)
He had the opportunity to be the OC in Nawlins with Sean Payton but turned it down. He's happy in Canada, I don't think he comes back unless he gets the keys to the ship.

Interesting...well, this definitely makes me a bit more intrigued...but personally I would still rather take the chance on McCoy...