2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you feel about experienced OC's as a Bears Head Coach?

Slightly better than a guy who's been in Canada for the last 5 years. I know Trestman did some cool stuff in Oakland, but that was a decade ago... is he really ready to go back to NFL game speed?

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 08:15 AM)
Slightly better than a guy who's been in Canada for the last 5 years. I know Trestman did some cool stuff in Oakland, but that was a decade ago... is he really ready to go back to NFL game speed?

We shall see. I like his experience and he obviously was impressive in his interview. He has some history with Jay but a resume that extends far beyond that. Like Lovie and many other HCs, he will need to bring in very good assistants. If we bring in another good OC with Trestman, that should ease our fears that he's been out of the game for so long.

And I hope we can find some way to keep Marinelli around.

We shall see. I like his experience and he obviously was impressive in his interview. He has some history with Jay but a resume that extends far beyond that. Like Lovie and many other HCs, he will need to bring in very good assistants. If we bring in another good OC with Trestman, that should ease our fears that he's been out of the game for so long.

Well Toub is already gone (pretty much) and I see no reason why Marinelli would stick, so right there were losing two of the best assistant coaches in the game. If the Bears can find a way to replace that (and more) to make up for Trestman going off the grid for 5 years I'll feel better, but I doubt that happens.

I was pretty gung-ho about dumping Lovie, but now I'm not so sure.

Bright side - I think Emery knows what he's doing.

I don't think our next offensive coach could possibly be worse.

Hopefully we can keep the defense stout enough that it won't offset what seems like an inevitable uptick in offensive production.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 08:17 AM)

So you are saying this guy is getting hired for his offensive mind, but it is very important a good OC is hired because he's been out of the NFL so long? So much for his offensive mind.

Good luck to him, I hope he does well. Maybe this will help the Bears moving forward, but in 2013, I doubt it, and the clock is ticking on the defense.

Edited by Dick Allen

They say his greatest strength is coaching the fundamentals of quarterbacking, and luckily those don't really change much. Rich Gannon says that he is the type of guy that multi-tasks very well, ie coaching the QB and calling plays. Either way, if we hire an OC that calls the plays...then I don't see how game speed is an issue. It may not be anyway.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 08:44 AM)
They say his greatest strength is coaching the fundamentals of quarterbacking, and luckily those don't really change much. Rich Gannon says that he is the type of guy that multi-tasks very well, ie coaching the QB and calling plays. Either way, if we hire an OC that calls the plays...then I don't see how game speed is an issue. It may not be anyway.

I don't think that will be an issue. It isn't like the guy has been sitting on a deserted island the last 5 years. If it's accurate, certainly not a thrilling hire, though. Emery seems prepared, and does go through all the work, whether that translates into making the correct decisions, only the results in the future will determine that. He has probably interviewed more guys than any other team this offseason.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 09:56 PM)
Browns name Chud as HC.

Hell of a coaching staff Butch Davis put together at Miami in 2000

Schiano,Chud and Chuck Pagano

I was surprised by that when I watched the replay of the title game in 2002-2003. I didnt realize you had all those guys. I thought us having Dantonio and Snyder was impressive but jeez.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 05:09 PM)
That's what I thought. Looking at a previously reconstructed knee makes it a lot more difficult to determine the extent of a new injury. This will be an interesting case.

Edit: thinking about the prognosis someone stated earlier. I wonder if they found articular cartilage damage? This would cause the rehab to be prolonged.

Not to mention pain for the rest of this life if it's all gone. I'm defending a case right now where a guy lost most of his articular cartilage and he can't bend his knee without pain and can't work any job that requires him to bend/put weight on his knee directly. Good luck playing football with that.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 08:44 AM)

You do know that these guys network just like everyone else, right? When they're up for a job they are going to contact their friends and have them put in a good word for them. I don't really care what Rich Gannon thinks about the guy.

I am all up for looking in non-traditional places for our next head coach, but there is a reason the guy is the HC of the Montreal Alouettes and not in the NFL...call me skeptical.

Head coaches are a crapshoot regardless of where they come from. I don't see the CFL as that different than picking a coach from college. Marv Levy was a CFL coach.

I just want to make sure we hire a coach that can command respect. Great football minds have amounted to nothing if they can't focus the team.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)
Head coaches are a crapshoot regardless of where they come from. I don't see the CFL as that different than picking a coach from college. Marv Levy was a CFL coach.

I just want to make sure we hire a coach that can command respect. Great football minds have amounted to nothing if they can't focus the team.

That was 35 years ago. Should we be hiring people in other industries the same way we did 35 years ago?

I'm open to it...and from all accounts, the guy is a pretty bright guy...but usually there is a reason that bright people get stuck working for mediocre companies or in positions they seem overqualified for, and that is because they have some kind of fatal flaw. Just makes me wonder if he has one.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)
That was 35 years ago. Should we be hiring people in other industries the same way we did 35 years ago?

I'm open to it...and from all accounts, the guy is a pretty bright guy...but usually there is a reason that bright people get stuck working for mediocre companies or in positions they seem overqualified for, and that is because they have some kind of fatal flaw. Just makes me wonder if he has one.

I haven't found that any position has proven to be any more of a sure thing than any other one in head coaching for the NFL. Previous head coaching experience hasn't meant much. OC experience, Oline, DC, College, etc.

We heard a lot about Thibideau, why was he an assistant so long, etc. Maybe this guy isn't great at marketing himself. But he's been successful pretty much everywhere he's gone. At some point people will find you.

I think there are safer bets and there are riskier bets.

General logic is that the safest bet is to hire a HC that has already been successful in the NFL. After that, you have different theories. Some would say that the next safest is OC/DC as they are already in the NFL and thus they are familiar. Others would say HC at College as they already have experience as HC.

But I think most people would agree that after those 3, you then enter much riskier territory. Sure you could find the next Bill Walsh coaching arena league, perhaps you could find another Lombardi coaching some small HS.

And this is ultimately why I was not super enthusiastic about the Bears firing Lovie Smith. I just have no faith in their front office.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 04:56 PM)
I think there are safer bets and there are riskier bets.

General logic is that the safest bet is to hire a HC that has already been successful in the NFL. After that, you have different theories. Some would say that the next safest is OC/DC as they are already in the NFL and thus they are familiar. Others would say HC at College as they already have experience as HC.

But I think most people would agree that after those 3, you then enter much riskier territory. Sure you could find the next Bill Walsh coaching arena league, perhaps you could find another Lombardi coaching some small HS.

And this is ultimately why I was not super enthusiastic about the Bears firing Lovie Smith. I just have no faith in their front office.

I'd tend to agree if I didn't see so many OCs and DCs not pan out. It appears there are lots of intangibles to being a successful nfl head coach, that we can't put our finger on. That said i hope this is false. Though it'd be great if a great D coach came back out of the woodwork, and Emery chose trestman for offense.

Just like Jim Harbaugh never would have had to settle coaching San Diego State and Stanford, right?

The Bills hired a college coach who went 25-25 from a mediocre football school in a weak football conference and I'm ecstatic about the hire because of his reputation around the league and, honestly, how hotly pursued he was. Does it mean success? Not at all, but he's already brought in Pettine from the Jets who, even though Rex Ryan felt otherwise, still had a top 10 defense this year and were consistently in the top 5-10 under his reign.

I honestly think, with a search process this extensive and lengthy, I think if he were hired, you'd have to atleast hold off judgment.