2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 01:27 PM)
The Cowboys replaced Rob Ryan with Monte Kiffin? Did they not watch a single USC game this year?

He has been a coach for over 20 years, I'm sure they looked at more than just last year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
It seems to me that taking an OC position in the NFL would be a more logical step than a HC?

I think it's pretty clear that Trestman wanted to become an NFL head coach and felt that some HC experience, regardless of type, would help him get there.

I guess I don't see why people are so confused about this. We see guys in baseball become minor league managers rather than be major league assistants, because they feel it's the best way to prove they have the skills to be a successful major leave manager.

You can question why he chose the CFL over the NCAA, but I think he simply went the CFL route because the opportunity presented itself first. Regardless, he's been both a successful CFL head coach and NFL coordinator. If anything, he should have an edge over other coordinator candidates because he's shown he can actually run a team.

I'm not saying Trestman should be the choice, but if Emery ends up going with him, I definitely wouldn't be upset.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 01:35 PM)
He has been a coach for over 20 years, I'm sure they looked at more than just last year.

They have two really good cover corners and a lot of pieces capable of fitting into a 3-4 scheme. They are ditching all of that for a scheme/zone defense where you can draft corners in the 2nd and 3rd round (or later) who are capable of being studs which means that they traded up for Claiborne last year unnecessarily.

What really needs to happen in Dallas is for Jerry Jones to relinquish his power. He just doesn't seem to know WTF he is doing anymore

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
They have two really good cover corners and a lot of pieces capable of fitting into a 3-4 scheme. They are ditching all of that for a scheme/zone defense where you can draft corners in the 2nd and 3rd round (or later) who are capable of being studs which means that they traded up for Claiborne last year unnecessarily.

What really needs to happen in Dallas is for Jerry Jones to relinquish his power. He just doesn't seem to know WTF he is doing anymore

I'm not so sure that Jerry is the problem...

Don't people, including people here, look at the Cowboys roster every year and think...that is a very talented team that can compete with the NFC East?

I certainly do. I haven't felt like a lack of talent was their problem in a long time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)

Don't people, including people here, look at the Cowboys roster every year and think...that is a very talented team that can compete with the NFC East?

I certainly do. I haven't felt like a lack of talent was their problem in a long time.

I have felt they have been consistently overrated as superbowl contenders for quite some time. They are better than what we have seen(maybe a little bit), but we are told every year to watch out the Cowboys are back.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
We see guys in baseball become minor league managers rather than be major league assistants, because they feel it's the best way to prove they have the skills to be a successful major leave manager.

How many baseball managers were coaching in a minor league system that used different rules than MLB?

The comparison you are trying to make is NCAA HC over a NFL Coordinator position.

A better comparison would be hiring a guy from the Liga Mexicana de Béisbol, after he was 3rd Base Coach for a MLB team 5 years prior.

Sure the guy from Liga Mexicana de Béisbol could be great, but a lot of people are going to ask why did he go there, when he would have made more money in the US.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)

I view a roster with a lot of talented players that don't fit together as a cohesive unit, especially now with a 4-3 Tampa 2 coordinator.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 11:27 AM)
The Cowboys replaced Rob Ryan with Monte Kiffin? Did they not watch a single USC game this year?

Okay...only thing you are proving is that his defense didn't work in the collegiate game (where he didn't get enough time to coach up players, etc). How can you argue his success in the program (20+ years of it). Guy was one of the best DC's in the game.

I guess we'll see how patient Jerry Jones is since he got a DC who runs a system that isnt made for the Cowboys personnel.

Kiffin's success in Tampa hasnt been seen in the NFL since probably the 70s(doesnt hurt to be coaching 4 future HOF'ers and Simeon Rice). For a decade he had the Bucs in the top 5 in total defense. If the Cowboys expect that to happen overnight then they will be highly disappointed.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)
Okay...only thing you are proving is that his defense didn't work in the collegiate game (where he didn't get enough time to coach up players, etc). How can you argue his success in the program (20+ years of it). Guy was one of the best DC's in the game.

He WAS one of the best. The game has changed offensively since his Tampa days, and at his age there is no proof he can adapt his defense. His major issue at USC was that his team struggled vs. the modern spread offenses depsite having so much talent. With RG3 in his own division running the read option, etc., what worked 10 years ago isn't guaranteed to work today.

QUOTE (SoxnGiants @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 08:42 PM)
Some rumors out there that the Bears will release Peppers. He had a good season from what I could tell (I'm a Giants fan, so you'd know better than I would) but he is 33 this month and owed a lot of money next year so who knows.

depending on how the view SMC, I wouldnt be opposed to this...Izzy can still get to the QB and so can Wootton. If they release Pep its gotta mean they're going to spend some money on the Oline which would make one less need to add via the draft so they can even grab another DE there at some point.

I also think Melton could be a big time DE.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (SoxnGiants @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 06:42 PM)
Some rumors out there that the Bears will release Peppers. He had a good season from what I could tell (I'm a Giants fan, so you'd know better than I would) but he is 33 this month and owed a lot of money next year so who knows.

I think the cap hit difference between keeping him and releasing him is around $6-7 million. I think next year it becomes larger. I would expect him to stay .

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 06:59 PM)
depending on how the view SMC, I wouldnt be opposed to this...Izzy can still get to the QB and so can Wootton. If they release Pep its gotta mean they're going to spend some money on the Oline which would make one less need to add via the draft so they can even grab another DE there at some point.

I also think Melton could be a big time DE.

Melton is one of the best DTs in the league, he needs to stay there.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 09:13 PM)
Melton is one of the best DTs in the league, he needs to stay there.

From what I read on PFF...jake I encourage you to chime in here as I only saw first half stats...he's not that good against the run, he just really has a knack for getting to the QB which he would be able to do at DE as well. It's obviously a plus to have the kinda pressure he gets up the middle but I wouldn't be opposed to putting him on the outside and throwing another run stuffer in the middle with Paea.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 07:02 PM)
I think the cap hit difference between keeping him and releasing him is around $6-7 million. I think next year it becomes larger. I would expect him to stay .

Yeah, it's like a $17 million cap hit. It's not worth it.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 07:30 PM)
From what I read on PFF...jake I encourage you to chime in here as I only saw first half stats...he's not that good against the run, he just really has a knack for getting to the QB which he would be able to do at DE as well. It's obviously a plus to have the kinda pressure he gets up the middle but I wouldn't be opposed to putting him on the outside and throwing another run stuffer in the middle with Paea.

Melton was -1.5 against the run. Still had the 8th highest overall score though at dt. Paea was -4.1 against the run. No bueno.