Reports: Illini hire John Groce

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (gatnom @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 09:56 PM)
Actually, Groce turned them down.

He's also coaching at a bottom feeder among bottom feeders. I see where you are coming from. He hasn't exactly accomplished a whole lot outside of tournaments (sound kind of like the opposite of a certain coach, of late?). You can point to his mediocre record, and say he won't be good. I can point to the context of that record, the current trend of the program, and his abilities as a recruiter as reasons why he might be a good coach. In the end, it is about projections, and the Peter Principle applies. Just because he wasn't the greatest MAC coach, doesn't mean he won't be a good Big Ten coach. Neither of us can really say for sure whether or not he would be a good or bad coach should he be hired. I think the reasons above are better methods for projection than just blindly looking at a conference record, but we just have to trust our AD's judgement should he be hired because he's the one we hired to make that decision. The AD, by the way, has a pretty decent track record for hiring good coaches.

As for the Bill Self stuff I was talking about earlier, Self had a .505 winning percentage in his first 4 years with 1 NIT appearance. Groce has a .603 winning percentage in his first 4 years with 2 NCAA tournament appearances. I'm not trying to say that Groce is at all better than Self because the two situations are obviously not equal, but you can't write off Groce because of the first four years. And, if you want him to be more "proven" than he is now, who exactly do you want us to hire that is better?

I agree we have no idea how he will do. But I see nothing that makes me think he will succeed at Illinois. He may very well prove me wrong, I just have my strong doubts. He inherited a program that had won 80 games the previous 4 years before him. He won 85 in 4 years. Improvement sure, But I'm not too impressed.

If there were any doubt about the coaching search being an embarrassment before, I think this erases it. Sounds like the Board of Trustees would only be satisfied with the hiring process if they hired a black candidate. That's not racist or anything.

"As far as I'm concerned whoever they chose it is their prerogative and their choice," Montgomery told the Tribune on Tuesday. "I was told there would be an open process and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt."

He said he is not familiar with Groce's background and could not comment on whether he would give his approval.

"I don't really want to tell you how I would vote," he said. "I don't know anything about this coach other than what I read. It suggested to me that they're looking at second-tier coaches rather than the top dogs that turned them down for one reason or another."

Asked if he is satisfied on Thomas' approach with African-American candidates, Montgomery said, "I'd have been much more satisfied if they had been able to sell (the job to) Shaka Smart."

QUOTE (gatnom @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 08:00 PM)
If there were any doubt about the coaching search being an embarrassment before, I think this erases it. Sounds like the Board of Trustees would only be satisfied with the hiring process if they hired a black candidate. That's not racist or anything.

Yeah, between this and the football coach hiring process do these schmucks they are being racist by pushing for the coach to be African American? I mean, I understand the want for them to have the Illini seriously consider candidates no matter what ethnicity they are, but to push for a minority coach just for the sake of having one is disgusting... this coming from a minority.

Dennis Rodman for Illinois head coach, haha.

Rodman's most recent business endeavor was launching a topless women's basketball team with a New York strip club. Prince told ABCNews.com he didn't know how much money Rodman makes a year, but said his main source of revenue come from appearances and product endorsements.

Dennis Rodman the former NBA star of the Pistons and Bulls has decided he wants to stay in basketball and this time as a coach.

Dennis Rodman Picture Slideshow

Though it is not your typical basketball team, it is a women's "topless" basketball team.

Rodman, 50, who is well known on the court as great player and also for his antics off the court is reportedly creating the team with an adult club on Long Island, the Headquarters Gentlemens Club.

Rodman is known for his crazy appearances, odd dress, and different hair styles and colors and unique way of living.

Rodman thinks this is a great idea and think the team could be very successful.

"I do not know too many men that do not like a good looking woman running up and down the court. The potential women players do not have too much experience, they can just throw the ball in the hole." Rodman said.

Rodmans team will play a charity game against another former NBA players squad. Spud Webb runs the women's basketball team that is sponnsored by New York strip Club Rick's Cabaret.

Webb was a player for the Atlanta Hawks.

Rodman will be holding tryouts for the topless women's basketball team from the Headquarters Gentlemen's Club in New York City.

Rodman decide to create a team once he found out about Spud Webb's team. He then challenged them to a game.

Tryout auditions begin this week and they are looking for girls over 5'10'. The team members will wear short shorts, tiny shirts and sneakers to come out for the game, once the game starts they are totally topless.

Hopefully the girls are not that well endowed, especially with all that running and bouncing around...ouch.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Dennis Rodman to coach "topless" women's basketball team Pics/video - New Orleans Pop Culture | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in-new...##ixzz1qN26k8pe

Edited by caulfield12

After experiencing the Hoiberg hire....(I'm willing to bet that you guys would have went after him if there was any chance he'd leave)

What kind of system does Groce run? How would it fit into the Big Ten?

Also, it sounds like he was a recruiter for Ohio State....be interesting to see what his plan was to recruit Chicago. His hires will be pretty important.

It's important at least that he's been a part of some good programs.

In all seriousness, who's really out there?

Groce is probably the best of the worst, at this point.

I think you have to look more at his background as an OSU recruiter than what he's done with Ohio U.

The main question you always have is how much was this guy responsible for bringing all that talent into OSU? How much of it was Matta and his reputation?

It reminds me a lot of the Lickliter situation at Iowa. It turns out that Barry Collier, Matta and Stephens were much more responsible for the success of that program than Lickliter, particularly Matta and Stephens.

And the assistants he brought with him to Iowa were the least experienced and unable to adapt to the B10 in order to hit the ground running.

Then he lost Tyler Smith (many said the same thing would have happened anyway, had Alford stayed) to Bruce Pearl and UT, and managed to run off half the players from the Alford days.

It wasn't until the last year, when it was too late, that Lickliter's staff finally started getting some "decent" guys like Ben Brust, Aaron Fuller and Cody Larson (Florida).

In the end, you have to be able to protect your neighborhood, and Iowa lost too many players like LaFrentz, Collison, Hinrich, Jason Bohannon (his dad played for the Hawkeye football program)...when you have a Harrison Barnes in your state, Iowa and ISU can't lose him to a Kansas or UNC every time if they ever want to be very good basketball programs again.

The funny thing is that by the time Alford really started to learn how to handle the media and coaching, had a good staff and recruiters, Alford saw the writing on the wall and bolted for UNM, where he's done much better than he ever did at Iowa. Of course, there's no way anyone in Iowa would take Al-FRAUD back, despite his recent success.

But if the Board of Trustees if resisting...and there are questions about the reception he would get from the CPL coaches, then Groce is better off staying put and waiting for another opportunity.

Just because one member of the BofT wants Shaka Smart or Anthony Grant or whoever doesn't mean it's going to happen.

I can just imagine they will end up with someone like Johnny Dawkins from Stanford now, or Quin Snyder, haha.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 02:42 AM)

I think you have to look more at his background as an OSU recruiter than what he's done with Ohio U.

The main question you always have is how much was this guy responsible for bringing all that talent into OSU? How much of it was Matta and his reputation?

It reminds me a lot of the Lickliter situation at Iowa. It turns out that Barry Collier, Matta and Stephens were much more responsible for the success of that program than Lickliter, particularly Matta and Stephens.

And the assistants he brought with him to Iowa were the least experienced and unable to adapt to the B10 in order to hit the ground running.

Then he lost Tyler Smith (many said the same thing would have happened anyway, had Alford stayed) to Bruce Pearl and UT, and managed to run off half the players from the Alford days.

It wasn't until the last year, when it was too late, that Lickliter's staff finally started getting some "decent" guys like Ben Brust, Aaron Fuller and Cody Larson (Florida).

In the end, you have to be able to protect your neighborhood, and Iowa lost too many players like LaFrentz, Collison, Hinrich, Jason Bohannon (his dad played for the Hawkeye football program)...when you have a Harrison Barnes in your state, Iowa and ISU can't lose him to a Kansas or UNC every time if they ever want to be very good basketball programs again.

The funny thing is that by the time Alford really started to learn how to handle the media and coaching, had a good staff and recruiters, Alford saw the writing on the wall and bolted for UNM, where he's done much better than he ever did at Iowa. Of course, there's no way anyone in Iowa would take Al-FRAUD back, despite his recent success.

But if the Board of Trustees if resisting...and there are questions about the reception he would get from the CPL coaches, then Groce is better off staying put and waiting for another opportunity.

Just because one member of the BofT wants Shaka Smart or Anthony Grant or whoever doesn't mean it's going to happen.

I can just imagine they will end up with someone like Johnny Dawkins from Stanford now, or Quin Snyder, haha.

You are right in saying we need to recruit our own, especially in Illinois. I don't believe Groce is that guy to do that.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 08:42 PM)

I agree. While it's not the determining factor, there's no good reason that good Chicago kids don't go to Illinois. (Side note: Harrison Barnes ends up at Iowa State if McDermott leaves sooner.)

I'm not sure what other target Illinois can get with head coaching experience. I wonder if Tad Boyle at Colorado would be someone they'd be interested in/could get interested in Illinois. He's a pretty damn good coach.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 08:46 PM)
You are right in saying we need to recruit our own, especially in Illinois. I don't believe Groce is that guy to do that.

There's nobody Illinois could hire to win over the people who control the fate of the elite talent in the CPL. Many of these quotes saying Chicago would not take kindly to Groce are nearly the same as the quotes about Jerrance Howard when he was first hired. The reality is that there's a good portion of Chicago which just flat out does not like Illinois, and no hiring was going to change that.

They should really take an "out of the blue/stealth" approach with Gonzaga's Mark Few and overwhelm him with money.

That guy is so revered up there, he's been running that program for almost 15 years...you just wonder if he would be interested in taking on the challenge of a program in a superconference with a recruiting paradise in his backyard?

But, once again, not sure if that's possible with the BoTrustees involved.

If I was an alum, I guess there has to be some compromise....if they lose Howard, bring in someone with ties like Steve Bardo, Tony Wysinger, Kenny Battle, not sure which former players are currently involved in coaching, maybe one of the Peoria kids?

At Iowa, an example of a similar player who I'd want on my staff today is Kenyon Murray, a former McDonald's All-American who would be able recruit in Michigan, for example. Then again, with MI and MSU doing well, it's almost impossible to pull a blue-chip recruit out of there.

So a former player or two with CPL ties on the staff? Marcus Liberty? Once again, have no idea about the coaching tree comprised of former ILL players.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
Weber coached in the far superior MVC, won at a much better rate, won the league twice, and went to the sweet sixteen. Groce is 34 and 30 in the MAC, never finished higher than third, and did go to the sweet sixteen. Oh yeah, Weber coached in the state while Groce never has. Yeah, I think its safe to say Bruce Weber was a lot better hire than John Groce

Mike Davis and Kelvin Sampson are available. Bruce Pearl too!

"I actually in the last 48 hours with the things they’ve said about the Illinois program, of course I’m going to be biased being from there, I have reconsidered my position on that," Kendall Gill said on "The Carmen, Jurko & Harry Show" on ESPN 1000. "Before I said, you know what I don’t have any interest in coaching. Now in the last 48 hours, coaching, maybe I might want to do that to put the program back on the map.

"I know I have the ability. I played professional basketball for 15 years, also college for four years and an analyst for six. I know the game. I would consider if it if I got the call."

LOL.

Always one of the most humble, low-key athletes on the planet.

They might as well pick B.J. Armstrong as head coach.

Here's what incoming sophomores Mike Shaw and Tracy Abrams had to say:

Might as well!!! RT @1Abrams3: Let J. Howard run the show

— Mike Shaw (@MikeShaw15) March 27, 2012

Fellow sophomore Myke Henry added:

I think they might as well just let jerrence become the head coach it's taking to long to figure out!!

— Myke Henry (@MykeHenry20) March 27, 2012

Big man Nnanna Egwu said:

Last two workouts have been great with coach Howard. He would make a great head coach. They might as well make him our new head coach

— Nnanna Egwu (@egwu_32) March 27, 2012

Again: all signs point to Groce being the next head coach at Illinois. But this entire process has been weird, so it's fitting it will (apparently) come to an end under less-than-ideal conditions.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 11:36 PM)
"I actually in the last 48 hours with the things they’ve said about the Illinois program, of course I’m going to be biased being from there, I have reconsidered my position on that," Kendall Gill said on "The Carmen, Jurko & Harry Show" on ESPN 1000. "Before I said, you know what I don’t have any interest in coaching. Now in the last 48 hours, coaching, maybe I might want to do that to put the program back on the map.

"I know I have the ability. I played professional basketball for 15 years, also college for four years and an analyst for six. I know the game. I would consider if it if I got the call."

LOL.

Always one of the most humble, low-key athletes on the planet.

They might as well pick B.J. Armstrong as head coach.

Here's what incoming sophomores Mike Shaw and Tracy Abrams had to say:

Might as well!!! RT @1Abrams3: Let J. Howard run the show

— Mike Shaw (@MikeShaw15) March 27, 2012

Fellow sophomore Myke Henry added:

I think they might as well just let jerrence become the head coach it's taking to long to figure out!!

— Myke Henry (@MykeHenry20) March 27, 2012

Big man Nnanna Egwu said:

Last two workouts have been great with coach Howard. He would make a great head coach. They might as well make him our new head coach

— Nnanna Egwu (@egwu_32) March 27, 2012

Again: all signs point to Groce being the next head coach at Illinois. But this entire process has been weird, so it's fitting it will (apparently) come to an end under less-than-ideal conditions.

FWIW, Kendall Gill is one of the nicest human beings on the planet.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 12:17 AM)
FWIW, Kendall Gill is one of the nicest human beings on the planet.

Hmmm....interesting, I always heard the opposite, that he was a jerk and pretty self-centered.

Maybe my Hawkeye bias, haha.

I did spend a lot of time around the team from 1988-1990, I was one of Roy Marble's "tutors/ghostwriters." Makes me feel so old to see his son now playing for Iowa.

I listened to the score and some other sports radio on my way to/and from Chicago yesterday... Seems like everyone is just getting pissed off at Thomas. This has been absolutely brutal. Should have hired a search firm. Would have been over with no leaks in 5 days.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)
I listened to the score and some other sports radio on my way to/and from Chicago yesterday... Seems like everyone is just getting pissed off at Thomas. This has been absolutely brutal. Should have hired a search firm. Would have been over with no leaks in 5 days.

More than Thomas, it sounds like some really bad factionalism in the trustees is just blowing this to bits. Even with the turndowns, this would have been done yesterday if the trustees STFU.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)

A search firm was hired....

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 12:45 AM)
Hmmm....interesting, I always heard the opposite, that he was a jerk and pretty self-centered.

Maybe my Hawkeye bias, haha.

I did spend a lot of time around the team from 1988-1990, I was one of Roy Marble's "tutors/ghostwriters." Makes me feel so old to see his son now playing for Iowa.

remember Mark Jewell?