The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
I would disagree in your assertion that he is a "selfish prick." As far as the WS, I look at ozzie's whole body of work. Name one other Sox manager who comes close to rivaling what Ozzie did with the Sox? Chuck Tanner? 1) People forget his overall body of work (uh, his RECORD) is pretty impressive with the White Sox, a team with an abysmal past.

2) Then Sox fans everywhere should be thrilled the way it worked out.

3) That is 100 percent true. This quit on the team stuff is all TOTAL BS. If the Sox wanted ozzie he'd be in Chicago. Case closed. Who cares about the last-week semantics of his leaving and "quitting" on the team. If that makes you all feel better to hate on Ozzie for that, go for it. Like Dick Allen said, the Sox didn't want him. Case closed.

4) If you think I am a troll, you are crazy. I'm as good a White Sox fan as anybody on here. Longevity, memories of past teams, and everything else.

5) Ozzie will be a manager until the day he decides he does not want to be a manager. At some point will he be silenced and be another plastic mummy in the dugout and with the press? Perhaps. But he'll be a manager somewhere the next 25 years.

1) A .524 record is not good with rosters that should have been in the playoffs every year besides 2007. It's laughable that you of all people say whole body of work (which is OK at best) because you focus on the best year of Ozzie's career as the linchpin for his entire body of work.

2) So we should be happy our team decided to not let a man under contract blatantly disregard his contract with his boss without some type of return.

3) But...it's not. He did quit. He negotiated with another team. That's basically the definition of quitting.

4) I don't think you're a troll, but I'm pretty sure you're a bigger Ozzie Guillen fan than a White Sox fan.

5) Or until he's fired in a year or two because he's currently doing a piss-poor job managing the Marlins and alienated half their fan base. He's running out of teams where he can get hired based off of his playing days. The only team that will hire him that isn't the White Sox/Marlins will be looking for a sideshow to distract their fans from a s***ty team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 07:35 PM)
Guillen had a signed contract for another year. He walked away. Not the other way around.

You have to admit, the White Sox did NOT want the guy back. He just took everybody out of their misery. If things were going well in Chicago he'd never have left. There are perks to being loved in the great city of Chicago where people care. Who cares if he walked away? Most fans on this message board wanted him to walk away.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)
You have to admit, the White Sox did NOT want the guy back. He just took everybody out of their misery. If things were going well in Chicago he'd never have left. There are perks to being loved in the great city of Chicago where people care. Who cares if he walked away? Most fans on this message board wanted him to walk away.

He put everyone into misery. He's the guy in the middle of September b****ing about a contract extension when he has a year left on his deal. He's the one who blew the situation up in the press, and made it miserable. If they didn't want him back, it was because Ozzie pissed in the well that he drank from one too many times. Things were going well because of himself, not anyone else.

If Ozzie was the greatest manager in the world, he would have had the cojones to try to make a go of it with this diminished roster.

RV has.

He knew he was going to lose some talent (Buehrle/Quentin for starters), so he took the easy way out.

How many great managers in the past ran from a challenge that was 50% created by themselves?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 02:50 AM)
I think I need a Heath Bell jersey!

Bell, who hadn’t given up an earned run since May 26th (a span of 10 appearances and 9 1/3 innings), wasn’t charged with a blown save because he wasn’t eligible for it with a four-run lead.

“I wasn’t throwing strikes, plain and simple,” Bell said. “I need to mix it up a little bit more. I just went out there throwing fastballs and was basically throwing BP to the Cardinals. … So, you’ve got to tip your hat to them, but also slap me in the face because I [stunk] tonight. I let everybody down.”

The Marlins bullpen has now given up 58 earned runs this month in 73 combined innings of relief (7.15 ERA). They gave up 55 earned runs over 134 innings over the first two months of the season (3.69).

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/26/2868...l#storylink=cpy

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 08:32 PM)
That article was great. Oz is right. This is not the instructional league. I prefer a low key manager who lets the players play. I mean all managers will be second guessed. Look at Robin today. So he pulls the starter and the reliever blows his first save. This doesn't freak me out at all. s*** happens. Yes he should have left him in ... in hindsight. But Reed let the manager and the team down. It's not really Robin's fault; it could have gone either way. s***, the young lefty mighta got shelled in the ninth. We'll never know.

Just like Ozzie. He makes decisions and most of them are the same as any other manager.

Ozz is low key. Oz is the man. Great article.

Okay Greg...Are you freaking kidding me. You are blinded by love.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 08:24 PM)
What do you want your manager to do? You know how many hours they spend at the park? Ozz has time to f*** around. Like he said, let the coaches do the things they are paid for. The manager is the organizer. I wouldn't read scads of stats on the Internet either, if I were Ozzie. His track record suggests his style works.

Greg...I don't make personal attacks, but you are the stupidest person in the history of the internet. I can't even fathom this and its posts like this that really prove the fact that you are either (a) that stupid or (b) the biggest troll in the history of Soxtalk.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
Greg...I don't make personal attacks, but you are the stupidest person in the history of the internet. I can't even fathom this and its posts like this that really prove the fact that you are either (a) that stupid or (b) the biggest troll in the history of Soxtalk.

*open mouth dumbfounded stare*

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 08:00 PM)
If Ozzie was the greatest manager in the world, he would have had the cojones to try to make a go of it with this diminished roster.

RV has.

He knew he was going to lose some talent (Buehrle/Quentin for starters), so he took the easy way out.

How many great managers in the past ran from a challenge that was 50% created by themselves?

I frankly don't think Robin will do any better than Ozzie with this roster when all is said and done. Team has a weird dynamic again. Lot of old guys mixed with young guys in key spots.

2 through six in the lineup is Youk, Dunn, Paulie, Rios, AJ, that's a ton of veterans to go with Tank, DeAza, Beckham and Lexi. It seems like a scary lineup, but something is amiss.

Our pitching is very inconsistent as usual despite the fact on paper we've got a good closer and average rotation in Peavy, Sale, Floyd, Q and Danks when he comes back.

Ozzie would be getting fried for not having this team in the playoffs, when in reality the team still just isn't that good. It's basically underachieving once again. We have a lot of name players on this team.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 08:08 PM)

Did somebody hack your account? I like Ozzie and stand up for him. Get over it. Or don't.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 03:21 AM)
I frankly don't think Robin will do any better than Ozzie with this roster when all is said and done. Team has a weird dynamic again. Lot of old guys mixed with young guys in key spots.

2 through six in the lineup is Youk, Dunn, Paulie, Rios, AJ, that's a ton of veterans to go with Tank, DeAza, Beckham and Lexi. It seems like a scary lineup, but something is amiss.

Our pitching is very inconsistent as usual despite the fact on paper we've got a good closer and average rotation in Peavy, Sale, Floyd, Q and Danks when he comes back.

Ozzie would be getting fried for not having this team in the playoffs, when in reality the team still just isn't that good. It's basically underachieving once again. We have a lot of name players on this team.

You just said the rotation is "average." Why would that get any manager fried?

BTW, with a healthy Danks, very few people in baseball would say our starting pitching is average, especially if Quintana's close to real and Floyd/Danks go on hot stretches again.

Second, we lost Santos/Quentin and your beloved Buehrle? Why would there be any expectations of contending? Are you Marty now? Obviously there wasn't by many, as season ticket sales were down 20-25%.

Everyone was expecting genetically modified rebuilding, not being in first place halfway through the season. If they did, where were those brave souls in the pre-season prediction threads who thought we were capable of being in 1st?

You also said that Manto isn't doing a great job. So hitters aren't hitting, pitching is average, why would Ozzie have been fried?

As far as having a blend or mix of talent, youngsters and veterans, every great team has that...with a very few historical exceptions. The 2005 team was streaky and dysfunctional at the end and pulled out of it, but they were a week or so from being bounced by the Indians.

147.png

We have a winner!!!

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Misc-OhSnap.jpg