2nd to last in Runs Allowed

2nd in WHIP

3rd in ERA

there's some potential here... :)

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 07:10 PM)
White Sox thru 15 games:

RS: 67 (4.47 RPG)

RA: 53 (3.53 RPG)

Team ERA: 3.16

1st in the AL in BAA (.219)

2nd in the AL is Strikeouts (Pitching)

2nd to last in BB allowed

2nd in WHIP

3rd in ERA

I'm guessing the Rangers are leading most or many of those categories.

Not bad company to be in.

First in perfect games, lol.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 06:37 PM)
he single-handedly WON you an ALCS, he stomped aaron boone, he gave joe borchard $100 for homering off Brett Tomko, I could go on and on and on

he's one of the biggest leaders on this club.

Biggest only in height and weight. The guy is a complete a** and very few people like him. No one looks to him for leadership. That being said I always root for the Sox thus him in a secondary way I root for him.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 08:21 PM)
Biggest only in height and weight. The guy is a complete a** and very few people like him. No one looks to him for leadership. That being said I always root for the Sox thus him in a secondary way I root for him.

uh... what?

first of all biggest in height and weight would be adam dunn. secondly... i think the pitchers on this team like him a lot

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 07:21 PM)

In the world of professional sports being liked is way behind being respected and I guarantee AJ is well respected.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 11:37 PM)
he single-handedly WON you an ALCS, he stomped aaron boone, he gave joe borchard $100 for homering off Brett Tomko, I could go on and on and on

he's one of the biggest leaders on this club.

Good post. Sox don't win it w/out AJ in 2005.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)
Good post. Sox don't win it w/out AJ in 2005.

Doesn't mean he is liked or respected. Barry Bonds was one of the greatest players of all time. He was still an arrogant a**, who no one liked or respected. People just dealt with him because he helped them win. AJ is in the same category. Players deal with him.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
uh... what?

first of all biggest in height and weight would be adam dunn. secondly... i think the pitchers on this team like him a lot

The comment was one of the biggest if you want that literal. I believe he qualifies as one of the biggest.

Most of the pitchers do not like him. I'm not sure about the rookies but I know the vets don't like him.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 10:40 PM)
Then all the pitchers who constantly praise him are liars for the camera ?

THey praise his catching ability. He is a good player. He calls an excellent game. But you don't see personal compliments other than the obligatory "he's one of our team mates" type comments.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 08:43 PM)
THey praise his catching ability. He is a good player. He calls an excellent game. But you don't see personal compliments other than the obligatory "he's one of our team mates" type comments.

If you don't like the guy or respect him ( and by respect him I mean his abilities) then why go out of your way to praise him such as Humber after the perfect game or Sale after a recent victory? So maybe trust is a better word to describe how they feel about him.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 10:47 PM)
If you don't like the guy or respect him ( and by respect him I mean his abilities) then why go out of your way to praise him such as Humber after the perfect game or Sale after a recent victory? So maybe trust is a better word to describe how they feel about him.

I think they do respect his baseball abilities, as do I. But the original comment was that "they like him and respect him." This is not the case.

I think trusting his abilities is accurate as well.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 10:55 PM)
I think they do respect his baseball abilities, as do I. But the original comment was that "they like him and respect him." This is not the case.

I think trusting his abilities is accurate as well.

How do you know that? I haven't heard any teammate of AJ say they don't like him.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 01:40 AM)
When AJ was a Twin, I hated the guy. As soon as he signed with the Sox, I knew I'd love him. I used to hate Dino Cicarelli (sp?) they same way, but I wanted him on the Blackhawks.

Totally agree about Dino, same with Bob Probert. Also would put Rodman in that category, when he as a Bad Bad with the Pistons, Bulls fans used to say they never wanted him on their team and that was history. AJ is an agitator, love having him but do not want to see him get another $6 million per year contract.

When I first entered this surprisingly positive thread on SoxTalk, I thought I had entered an alternate-reality Fringe style world where positive Sox fans exist on Soxtalk.com.

Then, I realized all systems were normal when the thread was hijacked by negative, anti AJ posts backed by the very solid "evidence" that, "everyone on the team respects, but hates him", and it all started to make sense again.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 06:45 AM)
Totally agree about Dino, same with Bob Probert. Also would put Rodman in that category, when he as a Bad Bad with the Pistons, Bulls fans used to say they never wanted him on their team and that was history. AJ is an agitator, love having him but do not want to see him get another $6 million per year contract.

I'd honestly pay him $6 million. I think he's one of the most valuable catchers in the league. He's never hurt, calls a great game, and gives you an offensive spark now and again (like right now). He's been THE most durable catcher in the league for the last DECADE

That alone is worth $6MM

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 07:12 AM)
I'd honestly pay him $6 million. I think he's one of the most valuable catchers in the league. He's never hurt, calls a great game, and gives you an offensive spark now and again (like right now). He's been THE most durable catcher in the league for the last DECADE

That alone is worth $6MM

I agree with this.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 07:12 AM)

That alone is worth $6MM

I'd like to see him extended for another year or two. I'm not sure Flowers is ready...offensively anyway. And he may never be, we'll have to wait and see. I'd like to see AJ retire as a Sox.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 08:10 PM)
White Sox thru 15 games:

RS: 67 (4.47 RPG)

RA: 53 (3.53 RPG)

Team ERA: 3.16

1st in the AL in BAA (.219)

2nd in the AL is Strikeouts (Pitching)

2nd to last in BB allowed

2nd in WHIP

3rd in ERA

I'll be first to say those are a whole lot of unsustainable numbers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 07:38 AM)
ptatc knows the world of pro sports better than any of us. I would bet he is on to something.

i'm sure people don't like him - but no one would question his value to the team. and he's nowhere NEAR the clubhouse cancer everyone said he was when he joined the sox. He really does put the team first and is always trying to find a way to give the sox an edge. that alone garners respect. no, maybe not as a person, but as a player. and that's what really matters to his teammates anyway

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 07:37 AM)
I'll be first to say those are a whole lot of unsustainable numbers.

so we start off 9-6 and everyone says "that's not sustainable"

if we started out 6-9 you'd all be saying "told you so"

can't you just enjoy that your team is performing well?