JFP

mmmmmbeeer

I know it's early, but if JFP can keep up some semblance of what's he doing now, say finishes the year with around a 3.00-3.50 ERA, a WHIP in the neighborhood of 1, striking out nearly a batter an inning, do we look to re-sign him? Do you think Jake would give a considerable discount to the Sox considering how little return they've gotten on the trade to obtain him?

I just get the impression that Jake feels horrible about how his whole stint here has gone. I think he feels he let the fans and franchise down. He's the kind of guy who could sign a very, very reasonable (7-8M/yr) for 2 years in Chicago to make amends. Do you think this could happen? What if he didn't offer that deep of a discount and was instead looking for 12-13M for 3-4 years, do we make an effort to keep him then?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he finished anywhere below a 3.00 ERA, do you think there's really a change he would only ask for $7-8 million for two years?

That's less than Mark Teahen made with the Sox.

When's the last time you've ever heard of a star player just giving his team a blank contract?

I think it must have been Andre Dawson with Cubs over 20 years ago.

There's another thing to take into consider.

The White Sox got back some form of insurance compensation for all the time Peavy missed in 2010 and maybe the beginning of 2011 too...so it's not like it was a total loss for them in terms of the money they've spent on him.

It's like when corporations take out "death insurance" on employees, and the employee actually does die...does ANY of that money go to the family? Nope. It all goes to the company that took out an insurance policy on their employees.

Athletes look out for themselves. It's not his fault he was hurt. Many would argue the White Sox are to blame, for pushing him to pitch in 2009...which forced him to change his mechanics, which led directly or indirectly to his lat injury. If you were Peavy, you'd probably feel that they actually TOOK money that you were going to earn in the future away because he's probably never going to get that 95-96 MPH fastball back for the remainder of his career.

Edited by caulfield12

If I were KW I would say let's take that option and make it into a two year extension. That would pay jake what, 11.5 a year for the next two years? It gives Jake job security and makes the money manageable, and if he actually recovers and has a great year, everyone is happy.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)
If I were KW I would say let's take that option and make it into a two year extension. That would pay jake what, 11.5 a year for the next two years? It gives Jake job security and makes the money manageable, and if he actually recovers and has a great year, everyone is happy.

I guess the question then is...do you think Jake Peavy can stay healthy enough to be worth $23 million over 2 years?

I've actually thought about this since Peavy has been pitching so well. I honestly don't see him agreeing to an extension/contract for less than $12+ million/year, especially if he continues pitching this way. He's not exactly old, and if he is truly healthy for the first time in two years, there will be plenty of teams interested. Personally, I'd like to see him back but not at any ridiculously high number. If he'd agree to the 2 year extension for $23 million, I'd be okay with that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 07:56 AM)

I know he's been great and all...but the thought of paying Jake MORE money than we've already paid him still makes me a bit queasy.

I think it's a good idea, but I need to see more...

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
I've actually thought about this since Peavy has been pitching so well. I honestly don't see him agreeing to an extension/contract for less than $12+ million/year, especially if he continues pitching this way. He's not exactly old, and if he is truly healthy for the first time in two years, there will be plenty of teams interested. Personally, I'd like to see him back but not at any ridiculously high number. If he'd agree to the 2 year extension for $23 million, I'd be okay with that.

Honestly...it'd depend on what it cost me to insure it, if I were in the GM seat.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 07:57 AM)
I guess the question then is...do you think Jake Peavy can stay healthy enough to be worth $23 million over 2 years?

This would be a decision I would make hopefully late in the season where I could have some evaluation time with Peavy. Making that deal now would be foolish though, Peavy would have to show me he is back for more than 3 starts.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 09:15 AM)
This would be a decision I would make hopefully late in the season where I could have some evaluation time with Peavy. Making that deal now would be foolish though, Peavy would have to show me he is back for more than 3 starts.

If you get to the end of the season though, he's got a shot at a much bigger deal than that, he'd be sitting there looking at free agency (and a nice $4 million buyout).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
If you get to the end of the season though, he's got a shot at a much bigger deal than that, he'd be sitting there looking at free agency (and a nice $4 million buyout).

Well, one thing to look at is Jake should be pretty well off at this point...whether or not he signs now for 2/$23 or later in the year for 2/$30 shouldn't really make a big difference in his lifestyle...I would hope if he does establish a record of health and success, that he considers our desires as a franchise moving forward...I guess that is all I can hope for.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
I forgot all about that option. Are you allowed to buyout the option and re-sign someone or would that raise the ire of the MLBPA?

They can do pretty much anything they want until the option is actually paid. They can rewrite the remainder of the contract, restructure the option/buyout, whatever, as long as the money involved isn't going down for nothing.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 08:18 AM)
Well, one thing to look at is Jake should be pretty well off at this point...whether or not he signs now for 2/$23 or later in the year for 2/$30 shouldn't really make a big difference in his lifestyle...I would hope if he does establish a record of health and success, that he considers our desires as a franchise moving forward...I guess that is all I can hope for.

I will say that based on what it took him to leave a horrible SD team, he could be the type of player who would stay somewhere he likes, versus somewhere that offers him a lot of money. There aren't many players you can say that about, but I think Peavy could be one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)

Its really depends on Peavys comfort level IMO. is he looking to stack money, or is he happy with what he has going and does he want to continue?

Lots of "Ifs", my proposal was obviously one of an extremely optimistic guessed result in 2012

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 07:22 AM)
I will say that based on what it took him to leave a horrible SD team, he could be the type of player who would stay somewhere he likes, versus somewhere that offers him a lot of money. There aren't many players you can say that about, but I think Peavy could be one.

And that's kind of where I'm coming from.....I think there are only a handful of players in the league who genuinely feel horrible and embarrassed for not living up to expectations and would go so far as to offer some form of retribution for their failure....I think Jake has that type of character. I could obviously be very wrong, but that's my take based on his competitiveness and what he says in the media about letting the franchise and fans down.

There is zero chance we pick up the option, and it is unheard of for a guy to get denied the option and then give his hometeam a discount as a result of him feeling like he didn't live up to the money the past few years.

Jake is at the exact right age to sign a huge money short years contract with NYY. That is, if he keeps this up, of course.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)
There is zero chance we pick up the option, and it is unheard of for a guy to get denied the option and then give his hometeam a discount as a result of him feeling like he didn't live up to the money the past few years.

Jake is at the exact right age to sign a huge money short years contract with NYY. That is, if he keeps this up, of course.

Not gonna happen. Yanks are still looking to push under the new luxury tax number coming up here really soon.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
It's so hard to buy-in, but man, it feels like we have the ace we thought we were getting forever ago.

I keep saying that about this team, but at the same time they are really making it hard for me not to pay attention to them

One big difference from last season is he's throwing more sliders and less change-ups. That might mean he's feeling healthier or more confident in his arm/shoulder.

His FB velocity is up by about 1/2 MPH from last year.

Seemed that OAK had a slow gun last night. In other games, he's been in the 92-93-94 range...maybe once or twice this season at 95, not positive.

I remember that Cubs game last year, most of his pitches were in the mid 90's, then he was never the same again after that.

Still a long season ahead for Peavy, and there will likely be some bumps in the road health wise. I'm of the opinion that if he pitches great this year, you thank him for his contributions this year and let him sign a big 3 year deal with the Dodgers, etc.