Selling off parts?

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ May 7, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)
The problem is that most of the parts we have to sell don't have all that much trade value.

If Jake Peavy continues to perform at this level, he will have a boatload of trade value come mid-season.

Thornton is another player with significant trade value.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2012 -> 04:47 PM)
Instead he should periodically post thinly veiled questions which are asked in the bias of his overall position and pretend that it is valuable discussion.

No problem. I'll make those posts in the "catch all" thread.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2012 -> 04:49 PM)
No he won't that contract is huge.

For half of a season? A contender in need of pitching wouldn't blink twice at an $8M dollar price tag for the best starting pitcher available at the trade deadline.

Edited by Chisoxrd5

QUOTE (Chisoxrd5 @ May 7, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
For half of a season? A contender in need of pitching wouldn't blink twice at an $8M dollar price tag for the best starting pitcher available at the trade deadline.

A team acquiring Jake Peavy at the halfway point of the season will owe him $12.75 million if they DON'T pick up his option.

QUOTE (Chisoxrd5 @ May 7, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)

It's $10 million at the deadline.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2012 -> 03:49 PM)
No he won't that contract is huge.

You could be right, but don't you think someone like the Tigers owner (Mike Iltch ?) would pay dearly for another top notch starter if Peavy is still pitching well? Hasn't he already mentioned that he wants to win at all costs, or something to that effect. Money owed or not, someone desperate will pay a hefty price, especially if we could get someone like the Yankees in a bidding war with them.

QUOTE (Chisoxrd5 @ May 7, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)
He's making $17M in 2012. Is some of the money deferred? How is 1/3 of $17M = $10M

$4 million buyout or $22 million option. If a team declines the option, they immediately owe him $4 million at that time. You have to take on the remaining contract ($6 million) and then the $4 million option, minimum, if you trade for him at the deadline.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 7, 2012 -> 08:26 PM)
How soon before the White Sox start selling off parts? They cannot compete with this team. And even if they could hang around, they are not winning a title. In my opinion, in order to get good again they need to get really bad first. AJ, Thornton, Crain, Floyd, Ohman and Peavy are probabaly the most tradeable assets that the team has. I would be willing to trade anyone on the team. The Sox are 29th in attendance and that simple fact should prove that they can deal Konerko as well. If Sale is not going to be used as a starting pitcher, then he should be dealt as well. I know it takes two to tango and that it is early. I just hope this is the game plan for the coming months. This team is not fun to watch and is not going anywhere.

It's early yet

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2012 -> 05:01 PM)
$4 million buyout or $22 million option. If a team declines the option, they immediately owe him $4 million at that time. You have to take on the remaining contract ($6 million) and then the $4 million option, minimum, if you trade for him at the deadline.

Well consider me pwn3d...although I could now argue it would be $9,666,667 at the deadline. :angry:

I still think he has value at the deadline, but given the White Sox reluctance to spend money on prospects we won't pick up any of Peavy's salary or buyout, and end up either not moving him or receiving a box of broken bats in return.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)

Way to go, Kenny. Great trade. Throw in Rios and Dunn on top of it....

I want a fire sale if they keep playing like ass, but I don't wanna Kenny in charge of it cause I don't trust him to get value for Peavy et al.

Hmmmm. A quandary.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2012 -> 03:40 AM)
Peavy.Has.No.Value.

Unless Sox take on a lot of the contract to get a good prospect back. I definitely wouldn't rule that out, and I think it would be a great move by the Sox.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2012 -> 10:40 PM)
Peavy.Has.No.Value.

Sure he does, if he keeps pitching well the Wsox would have no reason not to pay for a good portion of his contract in effort to get a couple good prospects. They would have no reason not too, even if paying majority of what Peavy is owed its still saves the Wsox a little and they get a couple of future ballplayers possibly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)
Driving off the rest of the fanbase isn't in the best long term interest of the franchise.

So you are in favor of what exactly? The status quo? Keep everything the same and maybe hope that it gets better? That's insane.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ May 8, 2012 -> 05:17 AM)
Sure he does, if he keeps pitching well the Wsox would have no reason not to pay for a good portion of his contract in effort to get a couple good prospects. They would have no reason not too, even if paying majority of what Peavy is owed its still saves the Wsox a little and they get a couple of future ballplayers possibly.

The Sox really don't pick up player salaries though. I can think of twice, ever, during the Williams regime.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 8, 2012 -> 07:22 AM)
So you are in favor of what exactly? The status quo? Keep everything the same and maybe hope that it gets better? That's insane.

I'm in favor of not panicking OOTP '13 style. We aren't winning anything this year. The most important thing we have to do this year is get a read on the kids in our organization to decide what to do with them. Are guys like Gordon, Dayan, Brent, Addison, Dylan, etc, every day major league ballplayers? Get them their reps and AB's. If someone comes along and blows away Kenny for one of the veterans that is one thing, but there is nothing to be gained as a franchise by freaking out on May 7 and having a fire sale.

Interestingly, the White Sox are the one team out of the bottom six who hasn't done the "full out" rebuilding with youth, at least not since the late 90's.

And yet we're going to have our worst attendance since 2002 and threaten the USCF stadium low 1.3-1.4 milllion mark (1998-99) if this team is knocked out of it again completely in May.

As Fathom and many others have been pointing out, there comes a moment when even holding on to a Paul Konerko or Alexei Ramirez makes little to no sense going forward, as there's not any more ground left to fall from an attendance and PR standpoint.

It has been a blessing and a curse during the KW years that we never bottomed out completely so that rebuilding could have started in 2007 or 2009 or 2010 or 2011. You can make an argument that 06-07 knocked off 50-75% of the bandwagon fans after the World Series and the remainders were lost the last 3 years with all the internecine warfare and squabbling between KW and Ozzie Guillen.

Fans are fed up, and they're not going to come out to pay top dollar for a clearly inferior product, or simply to support former Sox All-Star Robin Ventura.

The fact that we hired a manager with ZERO previous experience also has caused skepticism in the fanbase. For all we know, Terry Francona could have managed the club to the same record, we'lll never be able to test what would or could have happened with a more experienced manager, but the seriousness of the organization about winning anytime soon is questionable, some would even say dubious.

Now, with Danks' contract on the books going forward, along with Dunn and Rios, we're still hampered payroll-wise to the point where rebuilding is made more difficult. If there's anything that's going to be questioned in the next 2-3 years, it's the intelligence of investing so much money into a #3 starter when the only thing that will pull this team into contention are elite arms like Chris Sale (assuming they actually have the durability to start).

But you definitely don't build around John Danks as your franchise cornerstone.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2012 -> 09:55 AM)
Interestingly, the White Sox are the one team out of the bottom six who hasn't done the "full out" rebuilding with youth, at least not since the late 90's.

And yet we're going to have our worst attendance since 2002 and threaten the USCF stadium low 1.3-1.4 milllion mark (1998-99) if this team is knocked out of it again completely in May.

As Fathom and many others have been pointing out, there comes a moment when even holding on to a Paul Konerko or Alexei Ramirez makes little to no sense going forward, as there's not any more ground left to fall from an attendance and PR standpoint.

It has been a blessing and a curse during the KW years that we never bottomed out completely so that rebuilding could have started in 2007 or 2009 or 2010 or 2011. You can make an argument that 06-07 knocked off 50-75% of the bandwagon fans after the World Series and the remainders were lost the last 3 years with all the internecine warfare and squabbling between KW and Ozzie Guillen.

Fans are fed up, and they're not going to come out to pay top dollar for a clearly inferior product, or simply to support former Sox All-Star Robin Ventura.

The fact that we hired a manager with ZERO previous experience also has caused skepticism in the fanbase. For all we know, Terry Francona could have managed the club to the same record, we'lll never be able to test what would or could have happened with a more experienced manager, but the seriousness of the organization about winning anytime soon is questionable, some would even say dubious.

Now, with Danks' contract on the books going forward, along with Dunn and Rios, we're still hampered payroll-wise to the point where rebuilding is made more difficult. If there's anything that's going to be questioned in the next 2-3 years, it's the intelligence of investing so much money into a #3 starter when the only thing that will pull this team into contention are elite arms like Chris Sale (assuming they actually have the durability to start).

But you don't build around John Danks as your franchise cornerstone.

I remember when KW acquired an $11 million a year #5 starter, people were fine with that. So if Danks is a #3, his contract appears to be right in line.

And if the Sox totally bottomed out and got rid of all their top players, you would still be complaining, and there is no guarantee the rebuild will work. The guy pointed out that long rebuilds tend to lose you fans forever. He said one reason TB can't draw 10k is because they were bad so long, people became disinterested forever.

People have no patience with the current young guys on the Sox roster. They will have no patience if the entire line up was full of these types of players. They would stop caring all together.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 8, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)
I remember when KW acquired an $11 million a year #5 starter, people were fine with that. So if Danks is a #3, his contract appears to be right in line.

And if the Sox totally bottomed out and got rid of all their top players, you would still be complaining, and there is no guarantee the rebuild will work. The guy pointed out that long rebuilds tend to lose you fans forever. He said one reason TB can't draw 10k is because they were bad so long, people became disinterested forever.

People have no patience with the current young guys on the Sox roster. They will have no patience if the entire line up was full of these types of players. They would stop caring all together.

:lolhitting I can say with the utmost confidence that's bulls***. Florida doesn't give a s*** about baseball. Never has, never will.