2012-2013 Official NHL thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2013 -> 08:03 PM)
according to the broadcasters, it technically doesn't matter. It only matters when he intended to blow his whistle.

Yea I'm pretty sure he saw the goal and the waving of the arms was waving it off. The iso cam didnt catch the ref coming into the picture till after Saad was down on the ice so he couldv'e called the penalties before we saw him in the camera view.

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 29, 2013 -> 10:12 PM)
Dont think I could have slept tonight if they lost. And to think I was baggin' on Seabass the whole nite....

Same here I was just telling my wife how bad he has been and then he scored..

Good God, not sure how many years that took off my life.

Before it becomes a footnote (as opposed to one of the most memorable calls in NHL history), a note on the call to nullify the goal to clear up any confusion for when this never, ever happens again:

Ref doesn't raise his arm on coincidental minors because it's not a delayed call (which is what the arm up signals).

It's an immediate whistle when he decides he's calling it.

He called it well before the goal, blew the whistle, and it's when he decides as well, not when whistle blows (which I'm pretty sure you could hear on the replay before the shot anyway).

The wave off is just something well after the fact, it's irrelevant to the timing.

So the call itself was executed correctly...it was just beyond terrible judgment in a couple ways.

Thank God they rebounded. Any shot's a good shot in OT.

Now to try to score on Quick. Kings are a good f***ing team, and Quick has been nothing short of stellar. Should be a very low scoring series.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 29, 2013 -> 08:39 PM)
Good God, not sure how many years that took off my life.

Before it becomes a footnote (as opposed to one of the most memorable calls in NHL history), a note on the call to nullify the goal to clear up any confusion for when this never, ever happens again:

Ref doesn't raise his arm on coincidental minors because it's not a delayed call (which is what the arm up signals).

It's an immediate whistle when he decides he's calling it.

He called it well before the goal, blew the whistle, and it's when he decides as well, not when whistle blows (which I'm pretty sure you could hear on the replay before the shot anyway).

The wave off is just something well after the fact, it's irrelevant to the timing.

So the call itself was executed correctly...it was just beyond terrible judgment in a couple ways.

Now to try to score on Quick. Kings are a good f***ing team, and Quick has been nothing short of stellar. Should be a very low scoring series.

I'm assuming it is not a delayed call because there is no point in allowing the team that was not penalized the advantage, since both are by definition penalized, correct?

I am happy for you and Steve and some of the other die-hards here...My booty was tight and I am just a fairweather Hawks fan.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 29, 2013 -> 10:39 PM)

In the 1st round I was rooting for San Jose or Detroit because I wanted to avoid LA or. STL, the 2nd & 3rd best teams in the conference. Gonna be a tough f***ing series, I was worried about them before Detroit gave us a battle.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 29, 2013 -> 10:46 PM)
I'm assuming it is not a delayed call because there is no point in allowing the team that was not penalized the advantage, since both are by definition penalized, correct?

I am happy for you and Steve and some of the other die-hards here...My booty was tight and I am just a fairweather Hawks fan.

a team with a penalty called on it renders the play dead once the puck I'd touched. Thus, the Hawks having the puck when the call is made means dead puck.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 29, 2013 -> 08:48 PM)
a team with a penalty called on it renders the play dead once the puck I'd touched. Thus, the Hawks having the puck when the call is made means dead puck.

Right...therefore, an offsetting penalty would be called immediately. The only reason there are delayed penalties is because the team that was not penalized has possession of the puck. I think in soccer it is called advantage; same concept in hockey but not sure if they call it that.

Do they have the discretion to not call an offsetting penalty though if it was away from the puck and has no effect on play?

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 29, 2013 -> 10:50 PM)
Right...therefore, an offsetting penalty would be called immediately. The only reason there are delayed penalties is because the team that was not penalized has possession of the puck. I think in soccer it is called advantage; same concept in hockey but not sure if they call it that.

Do they have the discretion to not call an offsetting penalty though if it was away from the puck and has no effect on play?

Correct in paragraph one.

Yeah...in that situation, he could have let it all go to begin with, or he could have waited to call it/decide not to call it at that point by looking up and observing holy s***, i'm not going to take away a prime scoring chance in the closing minutes of a game 7 for some worthless coincidental penalties. He could have just skated up to them and encouraged them to keep it moving and essentially break it up, which seemed like what was happening anyway.

Here's what I think happened...he saw the bulls*** in front of the bench. While the call probably should have been Det only, there's no way he's putting the Hawks on a PP on that bulls*** in that situation. So he takes them both...but did not observe the play whatsoever and realize the whistle would be a a terrible time. That could have easily been let go, it was basically over, just play on at that point. If Saad was throwing haymakers I would have had no problem with the call, but after seeing what he did (or really, didn't do), I was f***ing stunned. I was expecting to see something absolutely ridiculous behind the play that forced the stoppage.

Thanks for the kind words in your post earlier about me, Steve, etc. Sudden death hockey is the greatest thing in sports...unless it's your team. Game 7's are the best thing in sports...unless it's your team. Combined? Epic. Your team? f***ing Dear God, worst thing ever.

Edited by IlliniKrush

Proud of the Hawks for overcoming what I thought was no penalty on Chicago. I thought he got knocked silly onto the bench, roughed up and then gave a very weak shove. That's a penalty? I thought we shoulda won it in regulation.

Great win. And I am also a fairweather hawks fan. But I really enjoy watching playoff hockey when Hawks have a good team. As a kid I went to a TON of games, though.And I played a lot of pickup hockey on the park at I believe it was 111th or somewhere around there; I forget the name of the park.

Edited by greg775

Wow. What a night. I'll try to sum up all of my feelings on that game and moving forward in one succinct post.

The atmosphere all over Chicagoland was just fantastic last night. Whereas 2010 felt like there were a lot of bandwagon fans, now it really feels like the Blackhawks have earned a true part of "anyone can like them" sports culture. It's a lot of fun for us die hards, but it's also a lot of fun seeing everyone at a packed bar sporting Hawks gear and being into it. This is what sports are all about. Game 7. Hawks/Wings.

The first period was just nuts. The Blackhawks completely dominated play and came up empty. For everyone who is worried about Jonathan Quick, I don't really see him playing any better than Jimmy Howard did in the 2nd round. The man only allowed 16 goals on 238 shots for the series (just under 94%).

The first goal was sex on a tv screen but better.

Hawks played like s*** in the 3rd period. Came out thinking the game was already won.

THEF*CKINGCALL: Ok, a few points here. One, I read some complaints in here about that play, so we'll clear it up and b**** like crazy in the process.

• A few folks said the ref didn't wave his arms before the goal went in - which makes sense since you only wave your arms like that to wipe out a goal. No sense in doing it prior to a puck hitting twine.
  • The call itself was just awful. Brandon Saad could have blinked harder than he retaliated for being thrown into the boards, pulled out of the boards, and body slammed.
  • To make that call in that situation is absurd. It'd be absurd in the first period of a regular season game. Clearly it was absurd with 1 minute remaining in a Game 7.
  • The Hawks were lucky to get to OT after that. They were as deflated as the fans, and thank God Duncan Keith is a f***ing pimp.

The game-winner was just relief. As Krush has pointed out, nothing beats a Game 7 except for OT in a Game 7 - but when it's your team it's absolutely terrifying. The last time this happened for us, it was also on a mad comeback in 2011 vs the Canucks. Hawks were down 3-0 and came back to tie the series only to lose in overtime on a

. It's much more fun to be on the other end of the drama.

Other Notes: Toews has to be happier than anyone on the planet that this series is over. The Red Wings handled him better than I've ever seen - and showed that the Hawks rely on their captain a ton. For all the talk about Quenneville answering the Toews problems following Game 4, he did not utilize last change nearly enough last night. The Captain was not even visible. If we're going to score enough goals to win this series against the Kings, Toews needs to be a factor and Patrick Kane needs to dance around a bit less and throw the puck at the net when possible.

Back to back games Saturday/Sunday. Saturday can't get here soon enough. I leave you with this little nugget from a genius poster on Soxtalk who, in my mind, achieves retribution for the LeBron drama of yesteryear.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 25, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)
Hawks are going to rip off 3 straight. Howard's luck is going to run out, and the UC crowd will pump the Hawks up for a blowout tonight. They'll head back to the Joe with their confidence regained.

Go Hawks!!!