Why Is Dan Johnson Still at Charlotte?

Lillian

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 05:15 PM)
No conflict at all. With or without Viciedo there's not a lot to build around after this year, dude.

Mitchell will be up in 2013. De Aza is pretty damn good. Sale is OK I'd say. Floyd is a 4 or 5, Danks is a 2 or 3 when healthy, Beckham is a great fielder and is starting to hit, Jordan Danks has shown flashes, Flowers has a cannon, and so on. Hopefully Thompson and Hawkins can turn out to be alright. Axelrod showed tonight that he can be decent.

After the year, they might be able to get an OK prospect for Alexei if they so choose, and if Rios keeps this up, I can see a team like Pittsburgh taking a chance on him after the season for a good prospect.

Why so mad?

Edited by soxfan49

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
Mitchell will be up in 2013. De Aza is pretty damn good. Sale is OK I'd say. Floyd is a 4 or 5, Danks is a 2 or 3 when healthy, Beckham is a great fielder and is starting to hit, Jordan Danks has shown flashes, Flowers has a cannon, and so on. Hopefully Thompson and Hawkins can turn out to be alright. Axelrod showed tonight that he can be decent.

After the year, they might be able to get an OK prospect for Alexei if they so choose, and if Rios keeps this up, I can see a team like Pittsburgh taking a chance on him after the season for a good prospect.

Why so mad?

Dumb.

We have two young pitchers with closer stuff in Jones and Reed.

DeAza and Viciedo under club control almost indefinitely. Rios and Dunn for two more years, Alexei even longer, if we so chose to keep him or trade (and we have no replacements in the minors, so it's not just an obvious move to deal him).

We have Sale, Danks and Quintana together for at least four years.

The situation isn't that bleak.

We probably will bring back AJ for one or two more years and work Flowers in there, so that position will be at least "average" for next year.

We do need to find a solution (permanently) at 3B and 1B, but what are the odds we won't try to retain Konerko for at least 2014?

Mitchell could be a factor as early as late this season, but probably 2013.

Beck, if we can straighten out his mechanics and get him to shed weight in the off-season, could move QUICKLY. They might even put him in the AFL.

Then we have a long line of pitchers like Axelrod, Castro, Hernandez and others that are showing promise...Rienzo, Petricka, we've got some very good pieces, and a ton of depth in terms of bullpen arms. Eventually, Santiago could be a factor as a starter as well. He's not quite getting it done in the bullpen, with tonight being a good example. But the problem is that he's still a better option than Ohman, PROBABLY.

We legitimately had about 10 options to choose from to replace Ohman.

And that's calling Phil Humber a lost cause at this point, which is far from certain.

Or closing off the possibility of Peavy still being on the Sox again in 2013. Neither one of those are slam dunks.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 10:46 PM)

Why so mad?

Mitchell will not be up in 2013.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 12:05 AM)
Dumb.

We have two young pitchers with closer stuff in Jones and Reed.

DeAza and Viciedo under club control almost indefinitely. Rios and Dunn for two more years, Alexei even longer, if we so chose to keep him or trade (and we have no replacements in the minors, so it's not just an obvious move to deal him).

We have Sale, Danks and Quintana together for at least four years.

The situation isn't that bleak.

We probably will bring back AJ for one or two more years and work Flowers in there, so that position will be at least "average" for next year.

We do need to find a solution (permanently) at 3B and 1B, but what are the odds we won't try to retain Konerko for at least 2014?

Mitchell could be a factor as early as late this season, but probably 2013.

Beck, if we can straighten out his mechanics and get him to shed weight in the off-season, could move QUICKLY. They might even put him in the AFL.

Then we have a long line of pitchers like Axelrod, Castro, Hernandez and others that are showing promise...Rienzo, Petricka, we've got some very good pieces, and a ton of depth in terms of bullpen arms. Eventually, Santiago could be a factor as a starter as well. He's not quite getting it done in the bullpen, with tonight being a good example. But the problem is that he's still a better option than Ohman, PROBABLY.

We legitimately had about 10 options to choose from to replace Ohman.

And that's calling Phil Humber a lost cause at this point, which is far from certain.

Or closing off the possibility of Peavy still being on the Sox again in 2013. Neither one of those are slam dunks.

So why was what I said so dumb? It seems that we agree.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 07:56 AM)
Mitchell will not be up in 2013.

Right now he's struggling a bit but has started to hit again. Sure, his average isn't great but he's a great athlete and his OBP is fantastic. By the start of 2013, I expect him to compete to win a job with the Sox. By then, Rios will be gone and they will need a RF'er unless Danks works out. He's probably a natural CF, but the Sox can get him started in RF and eventually move him over.

Edited by soxfan49

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
Right now he's struggling a bit but has started to hit again. Sure, his average isn't great but he's a great athlete and his OBP is fantastic. By the start of 2013, I expect him to compete to win a job with the Sox. By then, Rios will be gone and they will need a RF'er unless Danks works out. He's probably a natural CF, but the Sox can get him started in RF and eventually move him over.
I will be impressed if Mitchell is ready to compete for a job with the Sox by the end of 2013. And Rios will not be gone by the end of 2013 uless someone takes on his contract, which runs through the end of 2014.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
I will be impressed if Mitchell is ready to compete for a job with the Sox by the end of 2013. And Rios will not be gone by the end of 2013 uless someone takes on his contract, which runs through the end of 2014.

I think Mitchell could be ready for the MLB soon, but there's no place to play him. This is almost a good thing because he may get to the point at the minor league level where he is comfortable enough against the pitching to remain successful while tweaking his approach and/or swing mechanics to cut down on the strikeouts. Many prospects never get this luxury because they can put up decent numbers with a high K number and get moved up, but never got to the point where they could focus on cutting out the K's and still hit the baseball. We could see a bit more polished version of him because of our glut of outfielders. Of course in the case of injury he is yet more depth, though I think Jordan Danks may be good enough to be an MLB regular.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
So why was what I said so dumb? It seems that we agree.

He was answering your question: Why so mad? it's about Marty, not you.

Forgive me if this is obvious and I should've assumed green text.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
I think Mitchell could be ready for the MLB soon, but there's no place to play him. This is almost a good thing because he may get to the point at the minor league level where he is comfortable enough against the pitching to remain successful while tweaking his approach and/or swing mechanics to cut down on the strikeouts. Many prospects never get this luxury because they can put up decent numbers with a high K number and get moved up, but never got to the point where they could focus on cutting out the K's and still hit the baseball. We could see a bit more polished version of him because of our glut of outfielders. Of course in the case of injury he is yet more depth, though I think Jordan Danks may be good enough to be an MLB regular.

Both from the eye test and the long performance slump, I think Mitchell is still a long stretch of development away from being big league ready.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
Both from the eye test and the long performance slump, I think Mitchell is still a long stretch of development away from being big league ready.

Would have said the same thing about JorDanks not long ago

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 03:13 PM)

Still think JorDanks has alot to prove but I love his speed of the bench. I like Mitchell but agree he needs atleast a good healthy season in the minors before his call up. I would say he would be more likely to compete in 2014 rather than next season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)

I'd agree that he's unlikely to make it in 2013. I think the 2012 Sox outfield, barring a surprise trade or ijnjury, will also be the 2013 Sox outfield, and very possibly 2014 as well. Sometime in 2014, some one or multiple of Mitchell, Thompson, Walker or others (perhaps even Hawkins, but probably not) will be knocking at the door.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 03:13 PM)

And you would have been right. Also, Danks played AAA three seasons, so the comparison isn't really useful here.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 03:51 PM)
I'd agree that he's unlikely to make it in 2013. I think the 2012 Sox outfield, barring a surprise trade or ijnjury, will also be the 2013 Sox outfield, and very possibly 2014 as well. Sometime in 2014, some one or multiple of Mitchell, Thompson, Walker or others (perhaps even Hawkins, but probably not) will be knocking at the door.

I agree about the 2013 outfield, seems pretty set to me and I think we're better off giving Mitchell a full season at AAA next year. However, I think there's a good chance we trade Rios before the 2014 season. Mitchell should be ready by then or else he's probably flopped out. Plus De Aza will be a 2nd year arb player, so getting Rios' salary off the books would free up some money for De Aza and other needs.

As for Thompson & Walker, I don't see either of them challenging for major league jobs before 2015 at the earliest. Honestly, if Mitchell pans out, we most likely won't even have an opening in our OF until 2016. By then Hawkins might be a serious prospect and we won't want to commit to any other young OFs until he is ready. I see both Thompson & Walker being trade bait in the not too distant future.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 05:28 PM)
I agree about the 2013 outfield, seems pretty set to me and I think we're better off giving Mitchell a full season at AAA next year. However, I think there's a good chance we trade Rios before the 2014 season. Mitchell should be ready by then or else he's probably flopped out. Plus De Aza will be a 2nd year arb player, so getting Rios' salary off the books would free up some money for De Aza and other needs.

As for Thompson & Walker, I don't see either of them challenging for major league jobs before 2015 at the earliest. Honestly, if Mitchell pans out, we most likely won't even have an opening in our OF until 2016. By then Hawkins might be a serious prospect and we won't want to commit to any other young OFs until he is ready. I see both Thompson & Walker being trade bait in the not too distant future.

Mitchell would be trade bait if I were the GM. Football players are almost always behind in developing anyway and missing a year hurts that. If Hawkins develops like the Sox think, Mitchell is more than expendable. I would definitely consider trading him for something that gets the Sox into the playoffs.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
Mitchell would be trade bait if I were the GM. Football players are almost always being in developing anyway and missing a year hurts that. If Hawkins develops like the Sox think, Mitchell is more than expendable. I would definitely consider trading him for something that gets the Sox into the playoffs.

Mitchell is far from a sure thing, so I wouldn't lose sleep trading him in the right deal. However, I'd really like to hold on to him if possible. He's shown some flashes this year of being an elite leadoff hitter.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
Mitchell would be trade bait if I were the GM. Football players are almost always behind in developing anyway and missing a year hurts that. If Hawkins develops like the Sox think, Mitchell is more than expendable. I would definitely consider trading him for something that gets the Sox into the playoffs.

Good Luck getting a difference maker for Mitchell. You're either All In or not at this point.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)

Thompson and Walker have done nothing to indicate they will be MLB players. You are jumping the gun here.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 05:28 PM)

Trade bait for what?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)
Trade bait for what?

As much as you hate KW, even you have to admit that he has gotten excellent value for the minor league players he has traded away in the past. He is very good at boosting their percieved value during the season and then shipping them off. Clayton Richard is a very good example of that, Poreda as well.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
As much as you hate KW, even you have to admit that he has gotten excellent value for the minor league players he has traded away in the past. He is very good at boosting their percieved value during the season and then shipping them off. Clayton Richard is a very good example of that, Poreda as well.

And we have a roster with 9 rookies on it, on a team that is 3.5 games in first place.