The Adam Dunn Batting Average Poll

Steve9347

Adam Dunn Batting Average Poll  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Dunn's Average Wind Up?

• .240 or better
    • .230 - .239
    • .220 - .229
    • .210 - .219
    • .200 - .209
    • .199 or below

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
I think it's pretty obvious he'll hit below .200 again. But his dingers have been a big plus this year and his RBIs.

Its possible, but not obvious. He only needs one more hot streak to almost guarantee it won't happen. Earlier he got it up to .215, went 2 for 27 and it only dropped to .205.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
I think it's pretty obvious he'll hit below .200 again. But his dingers have been a big plus this year and his RBIs.

Yeah. Earlier this year. The HRs have been few lately. I just want to believe that he could use a rest which is pretty much out of the question currently, unfortuately. For a little too long now he has looked like the woeful Dunn of last season. I want the Dunn of April and May back.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)

What is obvious is that Dunn this year is not the same hitter as Dunn last year. But even at his best, he is streaky. He'll get hot again at least one more time this year. I'd bet the over on .200 at this point.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 03:20 AM)
Doesn't help tonight we squandered the only contact he'll make this month. That was the hot streak folks, that was it. Sure hit the anal s*** outa that one.

Why would youthink that's his only hot streak of the month? I think you shoulda put that in green. He'll hit more home runs this road trip. KC's pitching still sucks. He'll hit more home runs this road trip alone.

The homerun to left field was an encouraging sight. However, we've seen him hit to the opposite field a few times before reverting back to a pull-only hitter. He's a much more dangerous hitter when he can hit to left.

Holy crap, though, that first homerun was a bomb.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 06:10 AM)
The homerun to left field was an encouraging sight. However, we've seen him hit to the opposite field a few times before reverting back to a pull-only hitter. He's a much more dangerous hitter when he can hit to left.

Holy crap, though, that first homerun was a bomb.

Supposedly they measured that at 469 feet? What?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 07:43 AM)
Supposedly they measured that at 469 feet? What?

That seems about right to me. The spot where it hit is almost directly above the center field wall, just really high. At the time the ball hit there it's basically falling straight down. Maybe only would have traveled another 15 or so feet had it been allowed to hit the ground. Still their saying it would have been 69 feet past the center field wall, which is a long ways. Hit tracker had it measured at only 460 and their usually right on the nuts.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
Bernstein just said on the score that Starlin Castro has made 28 more outs this season than Adam Dunn has. It's amazing what HR's and OBP can do for you. Oh wait, Dunn sucks at baseball. I forgot.

I'll assume this is sarcasm. Adam Dunn is a very unique player. His contact rate is obviously terrible if he's batting .208 and has a zillion strikeouts. But when he does hit the ball, it goes a long way (it's a good thing the back of the Skydome wasn't open...that ball might not have landed yet). I think I saw a stat last night that his career BA is around .240, so he's quite aways from that right now. But he has more HRs than anyone in baseball right now. So, no he doesn't suck at baseball, but he can be a very frustrating player to watch. 2011 seems to have been an anomoly, however the BA is still frighteningly low. I'd like to see him boost it back up to near .220, but I'm not sure that'll happen. But if he hits another 15-20 HRs this season (with some of those in key situations), we may not care as much about the BA.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
I'll assume this is sarcasm. Adam Dunn is a very unique player. His contact rate is obviously terrible if he's batting .208 and has a zillion strikeouts. But when he does hit the ball, it goes a long way (it's a good thing the back of the Skydome wasn't open...that ball might not have landed yet). I think I saw a stat last night that his career BA is around .240, so he's quite aways from that right now. But he has more HRs than anyone in baseball right now. So, no he doesn't suck at baseball, but he can be a very frustrating player to watch. 2011 seems to have been an anomoly, however the BA is still frighteningly low. I'd like to see him boost it back up to near .220, but I'm not sure that'll happen. But if he hits another 15-20 HRs this season (with some of those in key situations), we may not care as much about the BA.

FWIW, the dome was open for his homers.

His OBP is only 4 point below Rios, who has the highest avg of any active player (and just behind Paulie). So he is getting on base as much and hitting more home runs and getting more RBI's than Rios. Looking at one stat can be deceptive, even if it is as important as average. I'll take the RBI's and HR's any day as long as they aren't mostly in garbage situations...

Definitely sarcasm. Yes sorry. It should've been in green.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 08:38 PM)
So, it's a tie game with two runners on with Dunn up and Toronto's manager pulls a lefty starter and puts in a righty reliever that Dunn has taken deep before.

Does he have something against the Tigers??

I hope so. Though his AB/HR's are pretty close this year.

Vs RHP 11.83

Vs LHP 12.81

Versus 2011 which was

Vs RHP 29.18

Vs LHP 0

Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien

25 of Adam Dunn's 34 home runs have come when White Sox are either down a run or tied.

Matt Spiegel ‏@MattSpiegel670

HR vs LHP in the American League this year: Willingham 14, Dunn 12, Cody Ross 11, Texeira 10, Encarnacion 10. Dunn can take anyone deep now.