Trade Deadline Top Pitching Targets

shago

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
McCarthy intrigues me. Knowing a lot of the Guillen history, I really wonder if he was moved because Ozzie didn't like him. He was a young pup, going out to clubs with everyone's favorite communist Brian Anderson. I wonder if there is something there that would prevent the Sox from being interested, besides the obvious injury issues.

I'm no Ozzie apologist, but if there's one manager who wouldn't hold it against someone for going out and having a good time after a game, its him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 02:39 PM)
He sure hated Brian Anderson for it, if you believe the rumors.

If he hated Anderson I don't think it was for partying. It may be he didn't take his job seriously, which may have been caused by partying, I have no idea. I do know the Sox were miffed when they tried to change some things with his swing and he refused. But I don't think it was for stealing Oney's chicks.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)
I think Millwood and Wolf are realistic expectations.

Then why bother? Neither is likely to outperform Humber, IMO, or really any other Coop-trash-heap-reclamation project.

Aim higher or stand pat. If aiming higher is too costly, stand pat.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)
Then why bother? Neither is likely to outperform Humber, IMO, or really any other Coop-trash-heap-reclamation project.

I don;t mind a Coop project because it comes cheap and can turn into success. Guys like Wolf/Colon though aren't Coop projects and they likely aren't going to give us much better than Humber/Axel

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)

My guess is...the organizations is worried about Danks not being able to pitch again this year. Humber is your number 5 AND they want to limit Sale toward the end of the year. So, you need a 6th starter and Axelrod hasn't proven it yet. Now, if Axelrod has a good start or two, then maybe they can look for only a reliever. That's JMHO.

By the way, remember, the only trade in 2005 was Geoff Blum. So a veteran bullpen arm might be a good sign. Just sayin'.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 03:55 PM)

Wolf was a s***ty suggestion, I agree.

Milwood would't be bad pick up for 2 months.

xFIP of 4.25, SIERA of 4.43.

Milwood also has better road splits this year, somehow.

Obviously its not landing Freddy Garcia in 2004, but its not a bad back of the rotation option.

Edited by whitesox901

And there's no reason to be 100% confident about Quintana holding up either.

His biggest problem is that he lacks an out pitch or the ability to pitch well without precise control. He's not a strikeout pitcher.

I hope he can make it through the end of the season, fingers crossed. Along with the Yankees game, he seems to be coming back to earth a bit and the other teams are building up a scouting report on him which didn't exist 6 weeks ago around the majors.

Westbrook or Lohse, maybe. I don't know for sure though.

Lohse would be a nice addition to the Sox roster. I wish it was Wainwright though

Wainwright did pitch last night, while the Sox scouts were there. The Yankees are also following the Cards around

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)
Lohse would be a nice addition to the Sox roster. I wish it was Wainwright though

lohse yes, westbrook,no thanks. doesnt lohse have a no trade cluase though? i remember when they were interested in getting buehrle i think, he said he wouldnt waive his no trade clause

If the Sox get a right-handed starter it has to be someone with good stuff who you'd be ok with starting a postseason game against the Yankees, Rangers, or Red Sox. That's a short short list that maybe a guy like Volquez is on the fringes of. If the Sox could get his walk rate down maybe he'd give us 1/2 year like Jackson did in 2010.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
Since when are Lohse or Westbrook available? Cards are still contending..

I never said they are. I said maybe. Looking at their roster, I don't know who else it could be. Like you said, they still aren't out of it. I was thinking Rzepczynski as a situational LHP but he's been terrible this year.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)
If the Sox get a right-handed starter it has to be someone with good stuff who you'd be ok with starting a postseason game against the Yankees, Rangers, or Red Sox. That's a short short list that maybe a guy like Volquez is on the fringes of. If the Sox could get his walk rate down maybe he'd give us 1/2 year like Jackson did in 2010.

Which would require Don Cooper miracle working/raising Lazarus from the dead.

Didn't realize you were a fan of his.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 10:40 AM)
Which would require Don Cooper miracle working/raising Lazarus from the dead.

Didn't realize you were a fan of his.

Cooper is the rockstar of pitching coaches good with the bad. Jackson was in roughly the same boat as Volquez is now when they traded for him and that worked out pretty well.