Sox trade for Brett Myers

flavum

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
I do not care about a person's personal or religious beliefs. I don't care if you're an adulterer or a racist or whatever. I do care about a 6'4, 240 pound man striking his wife in the face multiple times. I will not cheer this scum at all.

So just to be clear, you won't be cheering when Brandon Marshall scores a TD for the Bears this year right? Involved in domestic disputes, gun violence, etc. that's a bad dude

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
I do not care about a person's personal or religious beliefs. I don't care if you're an adulterer or a racist or whatever. I do care about a 6'4, 240 pound man striking his wife in the face multiple times. I will not cheer this scum at all.

And how do you know how she treats him? Maybe she leaves their children in the car in the 100 degree heat while she goes grocery shopping. Maybe she cheats on him with his battery mate. Maybe she is emotionally abusive.

From whatever opinions you want, but the fact is, we don't really know these people. Many times you make judgments about people you don't know only to find out you would have never felt that way had you known the entire story.

Regardless, I will cheer him on when he is in a White Sox uniform, and be just as happy about the outs he records as those that any of our other pitchers record. And I will cheer just as much.

So you won't cheer for a guy that hit his wife on one drunkn occasion six years ago, but you'll openly support a man who enabled and protected a serial child rapist for years?

Anyways, despite Myers being a total douche, I think this is a smart baseball move. He is a very good reliever and people saying otherwise are letting his personal issues affect their judgement. He will help stabilize the bullpen and didn't cost much in grand scheme of things. Good move IMO.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 02:56 PM)
And how do you know how she treats him? Maybe she leaves their children in the car in the 100 degree heat while she goes grocery shopping. Maybe she cheats on him with his battery mate. Maybe she is emotionally abusive.

From whatever opinions you want, but the fact is, we don't really know these people. Many times you make judgments about people you don't know only to find out you would have never felt that way had you known the entire story.

Regardless, I will cheer him on when he is in a White Sox uniform, and be just as happy about the outs he records as those that any of our other pitchers record. And I will cheer just as much.

Shack, you are more than have the right to cheer him if you choose. I'm not going to. That's all I've said. I'm not trying to impose my will/opinion on everybody in the thread (that garbage goes on in filibuster).

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)
So you won't cheer for a guy that hit his wife on one drunkn occasion six years ago, but you'll openly support a man who enabled and protected a serial child rapist for years?

Anyways, despite Myers being a total douche, I think this is a smart baseball move. He is a very good reliever and people saying otherwise are letting his personal issues affect their judgement. He will help stabilize the bullpen and didn't cost much in grand scheme of things. Good move IMO.

lol. You lose right there, dude. Far as Paterno, he's dead. We will never get his full side of the story. I have no doubt in my mind that the totality of the entire situation accelerated the death of what was already an elderly man. Paterno is guilty of not doing enough, being naive, caring for a friend (even a sick one), etc. Brett Myers went Mike Tyson on a woman. And if you really think that was an isolated incident aka it never happened before, don't know what to tell ya.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
Shack, you are more than have the right to cheer him if you choose. I'm not going to. That's all I've said. I'm not trying to impose my will/opinion on everybody in the thread (that garbage goes on in filibuster).

lol. You lose right there, dude. Far as Paterno, he's dead. We will never get his full side of the story. I have no doubt in my mind that the totality of the entire situation accelerated the death of what was already an elderly man. Paterno is guilty of not doing enough, being naive, caring for a friend (even a sick one), etc. Brett Myers went Mike Tyson on a woman. And if you really think that was an isolated incident aka it never happened before, don't know what to tell ya.

What makes you think that it has happened before. What evidence do you have to think it has happened since? Speculation. Lets get to the real point. Hes a veteran arm in the pen and we added him. Im sure KW did his homework on the guy and with Coop he will probably become a better pitcher. As long as Wil "Oldman" Ohman is not in the pen im sure we are all happy.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 11:51 AM)
When you cheer for him, you are cheering for his accomplishments on the baseball field. You are not cheering for him as a man, or a human being.

If you can't make the distinction, you probably shouldn't ever cheer.

When you boo someone, are you booing them as a man or a human being? Of course not; you are booing their performance on the baseball field.

It works both ways, folks.

^^^

Exactly and I'm one of the few here who sees guys who hit woman as scum as well (one of the biggest nos in my book).

Funny thing is, I'm more forgiving of someone of striking their wife, than I'd forgive a racist.

I hate racists as much as I hate religious fundamentalists and people who club baby seals, because two of those are personal beliefs that I find inexcusable and another involves the killing of animls that can't fight back.

But I'm easy to forgive, and not judge, a man who strikes his wife because striking someone is often a reaction to rage and bad anger management. As a person who had anger management issues in the past, I can empathize with others who may have issues with anger. Sometimes it takes a major life event to force you to hange, for me it was getting arrested for assault in 2006 after threatening a lady with a baseball bat during a road rage incident. My rage and anger was that great, and I didn't discriminte whether the person my anger was directed towards was a man or a woman. 2006 was a bad year for me and it made me realize I had to change. 2006 was the year the old Don died and the new Don was reborn, and since then I only lost my temper about 4 times, when before I used to lose my temper once or twice a week.

Also, I don't find it as appalling to hear about women getting hit by men. What's with some people's strong reactions to Myer's wifebeating incident? Come on now. You don't know the whole story. For all we know, the wife was probably drunk and antagonized Brett too much. I think it's wrong that Brett hit his wife, but I don't think he's a monster for doing so. People make mistakes, and as someone with former anger management issues, I can understand how anger can make people do things that they wouldn't do under normal circumstances. Anger can cloud your judgment similar to alcohol.

I also don't understand why guys treat women like they're delicate flowers. It ought to be a case by case situation, cause there's some women out there that are totally butch and can easily beat up any average man. If they were getting rough or hitting a man, then they have every right to be hit back by the man without the guy getting punished for it. Sometimes the legal system is full of hypocrisy, cause a woman can hit a man and get a slap on the wrist, but if a man hits a woman he gets thrown in prison? Come on now.

It takes a man to hit a woman, anyway. /green

Edited by SouthsideDon48

Did you cheer for Rodman?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...rticle_35399702

DETROIT -- Brett Myers' tenure with the White Sox began with a flight delay on his Saturday night trip from Arizona to Detroit.

"I got in like 4:15 [a.m. ET]," said Myers, speaking to the media following the White Sox 6-4 loss to the Tigers on Sunday. "It's part of the game. I got in, got a little sleep and was ready to throw today."

Myers warmed up as the White Sox were hitting against Detroit's Joaquin Benoit in the ninth inning. The right-hander was ready to enter the contest if the White Sox managed to rally for a tie or even take the lead, although manager Robin Ventura made it clear on Saturday evening and once again before Sunday's loss that rookie Addison Reed and his 15 saves will stay at closer.

Having a late-inning option such as Myers, 31, who recorded 19 saves for the Astros, further shortens the game for a White Sox starting rotation getting healthier by the day and fighting toward a playoff spot.

"Whenever they call my number, I'll be ready. It doesn't matter," Myers said. "That's what I'm here for."

The White Sox trade for Myers took place on Saturday afternoon, with Houston picking up Minor League hurlers Matthew Heidenreich and Blair Walters and sending along cash considerations to take care of much of what is owed to Myers from the $11 million he's due this season. Myers has an option for 2013 that vests at $10 million if he finishes 45 games in 2012.

Currently, Myers has finished 29 games but will be used in the same sort of setup role as Jesse Crain, joining Matt Thornton pitching in front of Reed. Myers had no idea that the Astros would trade him, but was pleased to go from the bottom of the National League Central to near the top of the American League Central.

"It's huge to come to a winning team. That's what you play for, to win games," Myers said. "They have a young team over [in Houston], they have a ways to go. Hopefully, those young guys can learn and gain experience and be good one day.

"I was excited when I got the call. A little flustered at first because everything was going so fast, but that's normal with getting traded. It all worked out. I made it here and I'm happy to be here."

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Merk's Works, and follow him on Twitter @scottmerkin. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

I'm a little nervous who this PTBNL will be in the Myers deal after seeing this in Baseball America.

Lunhow came out and said the PTBNL in the White Sox deal will be a significant piece. What caliber of player would we expect considering the money we sent and what we already received?

Jim Callis: There aren't a lot of significant pieces in the White Sox system, but it makes sense that the PTBN will be of value because the other two players (Heidenreich, Walters) in the Brett Myers deal are fringy. I really don't have any clue who it might be, though.