Beckham - could this be it for him?

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 09:04 PM)
I remember that game. He had Beckham bunt twice, I think. He screwed up both times.

Seriously, I just remember that game way too clearly. Beckham looked like '09 Beckham. Then he couldn't bunt and it all spiraled from there.

Also, how the f*** do we both remember that game?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 09:17 PM)
Seriously, I just remember that game way too clearly. Beckham looked like '09 Beckham. Then he couldn't bunt and it all spiraled from there.

It was the second game of the season? lol

It was the first game Peavy pitched in 2010. I remember being really pumped for it. But then Peavy was kinda eh and our offense didn't do jack against Carmona after Paulie hit an early home run.

Truth is, Beckham looked good to start both 2010 and 2011. Then he'd end up spiraling in mid April and he'll show glimpses here or there. He hit well in the second half of 2010 until he hurt his hand.

Gordon's just a hard guy to figure out at this point.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 09:17 PM)

I remember calling him "our best hitter" in that game thread.

Beckham is extremely talented, and has a great baseball acumen. I think that the problem is that he was never given sufficient time to adjust to pro ball.

He was rushed to the Big Leagues, with almost no Minor League experience. That hurt him, and necessitated that he get his experience on the big stage.

I'm always reminded of what Ted Williams used to say; "It takes about 1,000 at bats in the Big Leagues to figure it out". I suspect that it takes even longer if you don't have any Minor League experience.

He'll probably figure it out one day, and become a good Major League hitter. The problem is that the Sox have used up too much of his MLB service time to reap the benefits of his prowess, when he finally blossoms into a star. He'll likely be a free agent by then.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:06 PM)
Kenny has no idea what he's doing when it comes to bringing in offensive personnel.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:12 PM)
That's an oversimplification. He's had some hits and some misses. Quentin, Ramirez, Podsednik, Iguchi, Pierzynski were all excellent acquisitions by Williams.

You have ridiculously low standards.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
Beckham is extremely talented, and has a great baseball acumen. I think that the problem is that he was never given sufficient time to adjust to pro ball.

He was rushed to the Big Leagues, with almost no Minor League experience. That hurt him, and necessitated that he get his experience on the big stage.

I'm always reminded of what Ted Williams used to say; "It takes about 1,000 at bats in the Big Leagues to figure it out". I suspect that it takes even longer if you don't have any Minor League experience.

He'll probably figure it out one day, and become a good Major League hitter. The problem is that the Sox have used up too much of his MLB service time to reap the benefits of his prowess, when he finally blossoms into a star. He'll likely be a free agent by then.

That all started with trying to fill a hole at 3rd. The inability of Josh Fields, over paying Teahan, makes me think the Sox should make every effort to sign Youk.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)
I was one of those who bought into the Crede connection as late as when he hit his ninth homer this year, but he's had such a long homerless drought that I think he'll just never have enough pop to make up for his pathetic average.

You know things are bad for a player when Greg Hibbard notes your "pathetic average."

Kenny has no idea what he's doing when it comes to bringing in offensive personnel.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:12 PM)
That's an oversimplification. He's had some hits and some misses. Quentin, Ramirez, Podsednik, Iguchi, Pierzynski were all excellent acquisitions by Williams.

You have ridiculously low standards.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 07:58 PM)
Yeah not like any of those losers led the way to a WS win, MVP votes, league leaders, etc. All losers

MVP votes and league leaders - that's pretty funny.

Has Kenny Williams drafted an all star caliber hitter since he got the gig in 2001?

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 02:35 PM)

Has Kenny Williams drafted an all star caliber hitter since he got the gig in 2001?

Please be sure to pass on your quote of where you mentioned "drafted". The term was "brought in"

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 02:35 PM)

White Sox haven't put as much into the draft and have had a lower draft position with just a few exceptions.

He's acquired Quentin, Alexei, DeAza and Viciedo...doesn't matter where they came from. I'm pretty sure Chris Young of the D-Backs made an All-Star team at some point, although I could be wrong. We didn't surrender anything in terms of talent for Rios, who made two All-Star teams with the Jays.

Nobody's downgrading Williams because we got Jenks, Santos, Humber and Quintana on the cheap from other organizations.

Everyone's complaining we missed on Trout, but every team in the majors but the Yankees (because he grew up in their backyard) and Angels were wrong on him. And the Angels fired the scout, Eddie Bane, who discovered him and cultivated the relationship.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)
People were saying the same things about Crede in July of 2005 they are saying about Beckham now. He'll turn it around just like Joe did, only he'll be able to maintain it since his back actually works.

When Gordon Beckham is our September/October (post-season) MVP, then we can talk.

Crede was...

1) A much better power hitter

2) A much better clutch hitter, for example, getting runners in from 3rd with less than 2 outs, Uribe and Crede were awesome

741 (2003) and 717 (2004) were his OPS numbers heading into 2005...

Gordon's about 100 points below that.

KW was also saying the same things about Torii Hunter and Brian Anderson...or about Josh Fields. Been there, done that.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:42 PM)
White Sox haven't put as much into the draft and have had a lower draft position with just a few exceptions.

He's acquired Quentin, Alexei, DeAza and Viciedo...doesn't matter where they came from. I'm pretty sure Chris Young of the D-Backs made an All-Star team at some point, although I could be wrong. We didn't surrender anything in terms of talent for Rios, who made two All-Star teams with the Jays.

And that's a sorry ass resume.

Rios doesn't warrant mention here. Anybody could have had him, given enough financial support.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 02:56 PM)
When Gordon Beckham is our September/October (post-season) MVP, then we can talk.

Crede was...

1) A much better power hitter

2) A much better clutch hitter, for example, getting runners in from 3rd with less than 2 outs, Uribe and Crede were awesome

741 (2003) and 717 (2004) were his OPS numbers heading into 2005...

Gordon's about 100 points below that.

KW was also saying the same things about Torii Hunter and Brian Anderson...or about Josh Fields. Been there, done that.

As I said, July of 2005. People wanted Crede gone. 2006 Crede actually became quite the hitter until his back blew out. He was a .300 30 homer guy, but a injured Sept. ruined his numbers and although he had flashes, he was never the same. Gordon just needs some confidence. The talent is there, and it shows once in a while.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
And that's a sorry ass resume.

Rios doesn't warrant mention here. Anybody could have had him, given enough financial support.

Way to keep moving the goalposts...

First it was brought in, then it was drafted, then certain guys don't count.