Peavy's future here

thedoctor

was debating someone on another board what the sox should do after this season regarding peavy. for the most part, i've always felt there was no way they should pick up the $18 million.

generally i still feel that way, but his extended good play has given me a bit of pause. on one hand, you could do a lot with that money. on the other, when he is right like he is this year, he's a legit ace.

what would you do?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
was debating someone on another board what the sox should do after this season regarding peavy. for the most part, i've always felt there was no way they should pick up the $18 million.

generally i still feel that way, but his extended good play has given me a bit of pause. on one hand, you could do a lot with that money. on the other, when he is right like he is this year, he's a legit ace.

what would you do?

Depending on how Liriano looks, try and resign for 2/$22 or something.

Declining the option is pretty much a given, no matter how good he has been or will be. Sox are not dishing out $22M to any one player.

If Jake likes it in Chicago enough to give the Sox a bit of a discount, then he will stay.

If he insists on testing the market, somebody will overpay for him, just like they did for Buehrle.

I'd rather re-sign Liriano for $11M per year than Jake for $17M per year.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)
Declining the option is pretty much a given, no matter how good he has been or will be. Sox are not dishing out $22M to any one player.

If Jake likes it in Chicago enough to give the Sox a bit of a discount, then he will stay.

If he insists on testing the market, somebody will overpay for him, just like they did for Buehrle.

Nobody is giving Liriano $11 million a year.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)

Liriano $11 million > Gavin $9.5 million > Peavy $18 million

I just feel like he'll get something like 2/30 from a team like the Dodgers. Also, given his extreme workload this year, I wouldn't be upset if the Sox let him go elsewhere. With that said, it's great to see him have a great year and erase so many of the bad memories from his first few years here.

Edited by fathom

One thing to consider with Peavy is that several mil that will be paid to make him go away, and then on top of that you likely have to replace his innings with some vet you are acquiring.

So why not bring him back for one year (big money, but years-wise..a jerry favored course of action), dump Floyd's salary, and then at that point scour the farm/scrap heap for a Floyd replacement. That way you keep your top three guys for another year (Danks/Peavy/Sale) and take the hit on backend of rotation. Better than taking that hit at the top

Complicating this of course is the now apparent need to pay AJ again.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
I just feel like he'll get something like 2/30 from a team like the Dodgers. Also, given his extreme workload this year, I wouldn't be upset if the Sox let him go elsewhere. With that said, it's great to see him have a great year and erase so many of the bad memories from his first few years here.

Yes he may be, but that doesn't mean he will take it.

AJ and Youk are more important to keep than Peavy at that salary level. Not because YOUK has been great recently, but just because of his veteran presence, working counts....there's just no way we can go back to Morel again.

As for Jake, he's just had such a heavy workload this season, you worry how long he can stay healthy....of course, we have no actual idea, but every game out, he's throwing 105-120+ pitches. Someone will give him $13-16 million per season, multi-year deal, maybe even 3 years.

All things considered, would also rather keep Gavin and Liriano as a duo than Peavy at the same price.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 10:16 PM)
AJ and Youk are more important to keep than Peavy at that salary level. Not because YOUK has been great recently, but just because of his veteran presence, working counts....there's just no way we can go back to Morel again.

As for Jake, he's just had such a heavy workload this season, you worry how long he can stay healthy....of course, we have no actual idea, but every game out, he's throwing 105-120+ pitches. Someone will give him $13-16 million per season, multi-year deal, maybe even 3 years.

All things considered, would also rather keep Gavin and Liriano as a duo than Peavy at the same price.

Let's wait to see if Youk can stay strong/healthy the rest of the way. Also, with how much his option is, it could be in the Sox best interest to look for another alternative if they can find one for cheaper. Still far too early to make a decision on Youk.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
Let's wait to see if Youk can stay strong/healthy the rest of the way. Also, with how much his option is, it could be in the Sox best interest to look for another alternative if they can find one for cheaper. Still far too early to make a decision on Youk.

Whatever they do, Morel can't be the 1st option heading into 2013.

He's the back-up plan/insurance/depth. Whatever you want to call him. Saladino fits in there, but the jury's still out whether he can hit for enough power to play 3B.

They're going to have to make a decision between Sanchez and Saladino. You probably go with Sanchez for 2B and Saladino for 3B and see if he can get his power numbers up to where he can sustain a 700-725 OPS. Might not be possible. One big plus is he walks a lot more than Morel/Beckham.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
Nobody is giving Liriano $11 million a year.

Edwin Jackson just got $11 million this past off-season, there's a good chance someone gives Liriano the same on a short-term deal.

As for Peavy, there is no way in hell he takes $11 million a year from us. He'll get way more than that on the free agent market. I'd have no problem picking up that option, as we're paying him $4 million regardless. The marginal cost for him is $18 million, which is only $1 million more than what we're paying him this year. Look at what Hamels just got on an annual basis and tell me Peavy at $18 million for one year is a bad deal.

The only way I'd consider offering him anything is if Danks has a prognosis after surgery saying he won't pitch next year.

Especially with what Quintana has come up with this year, the Sox are deep enough to fill rotation holes more cheaply than Peavy. If you throw a Liriano extension into the mix it would start getting ridiculous.

Seriously, take a look:

Sale

Danks

Floyd

Quintana

Humber

Axelrod

Castro

Santiago possibly

That's 8 deep, 6 of them cheap, with guys who can at least cover the back of the order and could be worth developing. And we have this annoying habit of having other quality guys appear magically like Quintana did this year while we're at it.

We can trade Floyd and still consider ourselves to have depth in the rotation.

If we're spending money this offseason, bring Youk back for one more year assuming he finishes this year healthy, and sign AJ for 2 more.