AJ Pierzynski Deserves Lifetime Sox Contract

greg775

Today's heads up play by AJP in scoring all the way from first on a slow roller to short has, in my mind, earned him another 2 year Sox contract. Not to mention his 23rd home run.

Let's say for some reason he stinks next year. Well he'd still not be stealing money, cause he's underpaid this year considering his production.

I mean ... the man is so damn smart. He scores all the way from first base on a slow roller to short?? You got to be kidding me. He's the smartest man in baseball. He'll know when his skills have diminished to the point he's done. For now ... sign him up. He definitely will manage the White Sox some day if Robin decides he doesn't want the job forever.

I'm sure nobody will dispute this ... AJP deserves to remain a White Sox and deserves a good chunk of change for next season!!!

Give him 8 million a year for the next two years and be done with it.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 09:54 PM)
Today's heads up play by AJP in scoring all the way from first on a slow roller to short has, in my mind, earned him another 2 year Sox contract. Not to mention his 23rd home run.

Let's say for some reason he stinks next year. Well he'd still not be stealing money, cause he's underpaid this year considering his production.

I mean ... the man is so damn smart. He scores all the way from first base on a slow roller to short?? You got to be kidding me. He's the smartest man in baseball. He'll know when his skills have diminished to the point he's done. For now ... sign him up. He definitely will manage the White Sox some day if Robin decides he doesn't want the job forever.

I'm sure nobody will dispute this ... AJP deserves to remain a White Sox and deserves a good chunk of change for next season!!!

Give him 8 million a year for the next two years and be done with it.

He will never be a manager in the Major Leagues. His personality will not allow it to happen.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 04:39 AM)
He will never be a manager in the Major Leagues. His personality will not allow it to happen.

Seems like he'd be a natural. A lot of times he looks in the dugout if a pitcher has completely lost it. Seems like he'd have a good feel. It's amazing when you talk about managing. Ventura has done well enough this year that he's assured a 20-year tenure with the Sox if he wants it. What is Robin, 45? He's proven he can manage. With his personality, he's NEVER going to get in trouble with anybody (owners or players) so he's set. He could be a White Sox legend.

If he can win one or two WS in 25 years and eight division titles, he'll be a living White Sox legend.

Question is ... can he do that? Let's say he's our skipper the next 25 years. Can he win 2 WS and eight division titles? I'd say maybe one WS. Two might be difficult.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 11:13 PM)
Ptatc were you the guy he hit in the nuts ? You seem so level headed on every subject except AJ.

it wasn't me but i know the guy. i don't mean to come off as a jerk but from my experience he just doesn't have the personality to be a manager. he is avery good player and has helped the sox win many games. but that doesn't change who he is.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 11:17 PM)
Seems like he'd be a natural. A lot of times he looks in the dugout if a pitcher has completely lost it. Seems like he'd have a good feel. It's amazing when you talk about managing. Ventura has done well enough this year that he's assured a 20-year tenure with the Sox if he wants it. What is Robin, 45? He's proven he can manage. With his personality, he's NEVER going to get in trouble with anybody (owners or players) so he's set. He could be a White Sox legend.

If he can win one or two WS in 25 years and eight division titles, he'll be a living White Sox legend.

Question is ... can he do that? Let's say he's our skipper the next 25 years. Can he win 2 WS and eight division titles? I'd say maybe one WS. Two might be difficult.

robin can get along with people. aj cannot. or maybe it's will nkt. i'm not sure but either way i don't think he will ever manage in the majors. i could be wrong but its just my opinion.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 11:17 PM)

How many managers in all of baseball have even managed one team for 25 years?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)

Right now the longest tenured Mgr in baseball was hired in 2004. In baseball history, Connie Mack made it 50 years with one franchise, and is the only one to make it that long with one group. In baseball history only 9 guys have managed a total of 25 years, let alone with one team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
Right now the longest tenured Mgr in baseball was hired in 2004. In baseball history, Connie Mack made it 50 years with one franchise, and is the only one to make it that long with one group. In baseball history only 9 guys have managed a total of 25 years, let alone with one team.

And it's much harder to be a manager nowadays with all of the media scrutiny around and the internet allows fans to debate for days the merits of the team's 4th OF.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 04:55 AM)
AJ should retire in a White Sox uniform and remain with the organization either as a broadcaster or a coach/manager after his playing days are over if he so wishes.

One of the best decisions the Sox made was to sign AJ twice. One of the worse would be not to sign him a third time.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)

Can you picture a scenario in which the White Sox ever replace Robin Ventura? He's proven he's not a buffoon and knows how to manage, which is not rocket science. He's already proven he's as good as anybody they could get nowadays.

He is the opposite of Ozzie mouth-wise, so he'll never get himself fired. That leaves him stepping down some day on his own. I would assume he's set for life financially five times over, so I guess he could tire of the grind. If he truly loves baseball, I think he's our manager the next 25 years. How can the Sox ever fire Robin Ventura? That can't happen cause of his name and history with the franchise.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
Can you picture a scenario in which the White Sox ever replace Robin Ventura? He's proven he's not a buffoon and knows how to manage, which is not rocket science. He's already proven he's as good as anybody they could get nowadays.

He is the opposite of Ozzie mouth-wise, so he'll never get himself fired. That leaves him stepping down some day on his own. I would assume he's set for life financially five times over, so I guess he could tire of the grind. If he truly loves baseball, I think he's our manager the next 25 years. How can the Sox ever fire Robin Ventura? That can't happen cause of his name and history with the franchise.

If the team sucks for a few seasons, he can absolutely get fired. It's part of the business, fans & Robin will understand and it won't be taken personally. It happened to Ditka, Dennis Savard. In New York, Joe Torre was not re-signed, despite being beloved by the fan base and winning all those titles.

From Robin's point of view, I think he could easily get tired of the grind, especially as he gets older. It's one thing to love baseball, it's another to travel with the team for 8 months a year, dealing with the media and players and management everyday, it can wear on him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)

Miss the playoffs and underperform for 2-3 years or so and the Chicago Media will be happy to ask whether Robin is going to be replaced every day.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
Can you picture a scenario in which the White Sox ever replace Robin Ventura? He's proven he's not a buffoon and knows how to manage, which is not rocket science.

Jerry Manuel - Manager of the Year in '00, gone by end of '03. Classy, experienced early success....yet all that guarantees you nothing, nor should it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 08:08 PM)
If the team sucks for a few seasons, he can absolutely get fired. It's part of the business, fans & Robin will understand and it won't be taken personally. It happened to Ditka, Dennis Savard. In New York, Joe Torre was not re-signed, despite being beloved by the fan base and winning all those titles.

From Robin's point of view, I think he could easily get tired of the grind, especially as he gets older. It's one thing to love baseball, it's another to travel with the team for 8 months a year, dealing with the media and players and management everyday, it can wear on him.

1.) Robin will understand? Nobody wants to get fired. He could tire of the job and quit maybe, but I can't see him ever getting fired. Not after proving he can do the job. If the Sox suck in the future, other heads will roll before Robin IMO.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 08:08 PM)
Miss the playoffs and underperform for 2-3 years or so and the Chicago Media will be happy to ask whether Robin is going to be replaced every day.

2.) I don't know if the media would run him out. If the team starts to suck again I'd think the media would go after Kenny.

Edited by greg775