Chris Sale Cy Young Watch

shago

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he ran the table, and in the process beat the Tigers and Verlander twice, plus the Rays at the end (maybe Price), he's got a good shot.

I just want the Sox to win as many games as possible over the next 6 weeks, and have Sale win the World Series MVP. That would be my preference.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 07:40 AM)
AL Ranks:

Innings:

Hernandez 1

Verlander 2

Price 5

Sale 15

Weaver 19

Wins:

Price 1

Weaver 1

Sale 3

Hernandez 7

Verlander 7

WHIP:

Weaver 1

Verlander 2

Sale 3

Hernandez 4

Price 5

ERA:

Price 1

Verlander 2

Hernandez 3

Sale 4

Weaver 5

K/9:

Verlander 4

Price 6

Sale 7

Hernandez 10

Weaver 22

K/BB:

Sale 1

Verlander 3

Hernandez 5

Weaver 11

Price 12

I'd say it's very close between Price, Verlander, and Sale, with Hernandez a bit behind them and Weaver a bit farther behind. Sale's biggest detriment is his innings count. 20 extra innings is a lot of added value when comparing guys whose other stats are similar.

I don't think his IP is a detriment at all. Look at others on the list.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 10:30 AM)
Honestly, it's because I'll be shocked if we get through the next 5+ weeks without Sale having another tired arm/89 mph fastball day.

I agree. It will suck to have Santiago/Humber start a game instead of him, but that's reality. At least he'll be available for a potential postseason, unlike that guy in DC.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 06:17 PM)
Huh? If you're going to be bold and say definitively "Sorry, Sale won't win the CY this year", at least give some reasoning why. Sale is no doubt a legitimate contender.

This.

Gavin Floyd will not win the Cy Young this year. Sorry.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 06:39 PM)
All it takes is one bad start for any of these guys to drop out of contention.

Or one bad start from Gavin Floyd to drop out of the rotation.

Well, Verlander was typical self today. After the 2 run bomb to Encarnacion, he went on to get stronger in the 6th-9th innings and ended up with something like his 18th TWELVE or more K game of his career.

Bartolo Colon could get stronger as the game went on, and Scherzer's a close 2nd now in MLB, but there's never been a pitcher who could sustain his success and actually improve in pitches 100-140...at least none that I've seen in my lifetime.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 06:17 PM)
Huh? If you're going to be bold and say definitively "Sorry, Sale won't win the CY this year", at least give some reasoning why. Sale is no doubt a legitimate contender.

Not enough innings and in the eyes of the voters he is a afterthought right now. He is in the team picture, but not getting the respect the other pitchers are.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 08:23 PM)
Not enough innings and in the eyes of the voters he is a afterthought right now. He is in the team picture, but not getting the respect the other pitchers are.

He's got 7 more starts. 8 if it goes to 163. He's facing Verlander twice, at least.

If he dominates the rest of the season, he's winning the Cy.

He probably will have a bad start or two and Price or Verlander or weaver will get it. But let's not write Sale off. He's very much in the hunt for that award.

But again, I'd rather he win World Series MVP.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 08:20 PM)
Hell, if it wasn't for 1 bad start (the tired arm day) wouldn't Sales ERA be about 0.4 runs lower?

Take away Jered Weaver's next to last start and his ERA would be 0.5 lower. That's probably the case for everyone except for Verlander.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 07:21 PM)
Or one bad start from Gavin Floyd to drop out of the rotation.

Well, Verlander was typical self today. After the 2 run bomb to Encarnacion, he went on to get stronger in the 6th-9th innings and ended up with something like his 18th TWELVE or more K game of his career.

Bartolo Colon could get stronger as the game went on, and Scherzer's a close 2nd now in MLB, but there's never been a pitcher who could sustain his success and actually improve in pitches 100-140...at least none that I've seen in my lifetime.

You ever heard of that Nolan Ryan guy?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 08:56 PM)
You ever heard of that Nolan Ryan guy?

Yeah, there's that.

Although, to be fair, he never gets thought of as a "winning pitcher."

When you think of all the arms in history you'd want for the 7th game of the World Series, would you even put him into your Top 10 possibilities?

Edited by caulfield12