Peavy hires Berry as agent

southsider2k5

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sox fans are eager to shove a guy who was on of the best dozen pitchers in all of baseball in 2012 out the door.

No wonder our attendance sucks. We have fans who expect the team to have five pitchers better than Peavy without paying any of them so much that tickets cost more than $20/game.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 04:55 PM)
Sox fans are eager to shove a guy who was on of the best dozen pitchers in all of baseball in 2012 out the door.

No wonder our attendance sucks. We have fans who expect the team to have five pitchers better than Peavy without paying any of them so much that tickets cost more than $20/game.

Best dozen in all of baseball? I'm sure someone could come up with 12 better than Peavy. The problem was there was more hype to Peavy than his performances. I don't think fans would push him out the door if he signs for $12-13M.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)
Best dozen in all of baseball? I'm sure someone could come up with 12 better than Peavy. The problem was there was more hype to Peavy than his performances. I don't think fans would push him out the door if he signs for $12-13M.

So what if he had won all of those games the Sox bullpen blew or those games where he gave up 1-2 runs and the offense simply disappeared?

Sure, Peavy did pitch some bad games when it mattered, but he also pitched well a few times when it mattered as well (first Tampa Bay game, for instance). Not every pitcher in baseball comes up in the clutch every time and that includes some of the top pitchers in the game.

Peavy wasn't a Cy-Young candidate, but he was easily one of the top 15 pitchers in the AL this year.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)

He threw 219 innings and put up a 3.37 ERA this year. That is the best season for a White Sox pitcher throwing more than 200 innings since Mark Buehrle in 2005. Jake Peavy was really, really good this year. By fWAR and bWAR, he was the 6th best pitcher in the AL this year, and bWAR says he was the 9th best pitcher in the majors this year.

Jake Peavy was really, really good.

You are right, no one is going to push him out the door for $12-13, and if they lose him for that but retain Floyd at $9.5, I'm gonna choke someone, and I love Gavin Floyd.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 06:13 PM)
He threw 219 innings and put up a 3.37 ERA this year. That is the best season for a White Sox pitcher throwing more than 200 innings since Mark Buehrle in 2005. Jake Peavy was really, really good this year. By fWAR and bWAR, he was the 6th best pitcher in the AL this year, and bWAR says he was the 9th best pitcher in the majors this year.

You are right, no one is going to push him out the door for $12-13, and if they lose him for that but retain Floyd at $9.5, I'm gonna choke someone, and I love Gavin Floyd.

I'm just still pissed at him for choking time and again against the Tigers and down the stretch. He just isn't a big game pitcher. Of course, at $11 million per year (as someone suggested), he'd be well worth it. But I think he goes to the Red Sox for $16 million per (or better) and then continually chokes against the Yankees next year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 06:13 PM)

+1

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 10:41 PM)
I'm just still pissed at him for choking time and again against the Tigers and down the stretch. He just isn't a big game pitcher. Of course, at $11 million per year (as someone suggested), he'd be well worth it. But I think he goes to the Red Sox for $16 million per (or better) and then continually chokes against the Yankees next year.

I can't imagine that someone would pay him that much after his recent history, but then again, with as bad as the FA market is for starting pitching, it could happen.

The other thing we have to consider is that Jake Peavy does like pitching here, and he has made a lot of money already. He had to be talked into coming to pitch for the White Sox, he has switched to/hired an agent that is very friendly with the White Sox front office, and has stated repeatedly that he loves pitching for the White Sox. I think if they are serious about keeping him, he'll be serious about staying with the Sox.

I think he ends up testing free agency but ultimately leaves a lot of money on the table and returns to the Sox.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
The other thing we have to consider is that Jake Peavy does like pitching here, and he has made a lot of money already. He had to be talked into coming to pitch for the White Sox, he has switched to/hired an agent that is very friendly with the White Sox front office, and has stated repeatedly that he loves pitching for the White Sox. I think if they are serious about keeping him, he'll be serious about staying with the Sox.

I think he ends up testing free agency but ultimately leaves a lot of money on the table and returns to the Sox.

This makes sense to me. We know for a fact that Jake is a loyal guy who values being happy over just about everything else. I think if the Sox make him a decent offer, he will be back, even if someone else blows it away.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
Is it within the realm of possibility that letting AJ leave would increase the chances that Jake stays?

In two respects yes... I don't think they much like each other. No real evidence other than their little run ins on TV, but it is something I believe. Two, if AJ leaves, it frees up payroll.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 6, 2012 -> 01:52 AM)
2 yrs/$22. Sounds fair.

Jake is not a #1,2, but perhaps at the low end of a # 3 starter. I think Jake didn't prove enough to me toward the end of the season to give him any more than the 2 year 22m.. We have paid him premium money for no season that he was worth his keep. I would say 22million - the buyout. I like Jake but he did complete the season although not with great success.

Edited by forrestg

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 04:47 PM)

No baseball player "leaves a lot of money on the table." He can be just as happy somewhere else, believe me. I doubt most baseball players would even leave $1 million on the table.Some might not let it get to that point, however. Some might sign extensions or their first big contracts quietly and not let it get to free agency.

Edited by greg775

Jake is not a #1,2, but perhaps at the low end of a # 3 starter. I think Jake didn't prove enough to me toward the end of the season to give him any more than the 2 year 22m.. We have paid him premium money for no season that he was worth his keep. I would say 22million - the buyout. I like Jake but he did complete the season although not with great success.

If you don't think Jake Peavy is worth more than 2 years at $11M per year, then you should be prepared to have a team with a really s***ty pitching staff.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
No baseball player "leaves a lot of money on the table." He can be just as happy somewhere else, believe me. I doubt most baseball players would even leave $1 million on the table.Some might not let it get to that point, however. Some might sign extensions or their first big contracts quietly and not let it get to free agency.

Jeff Weaver sez sup.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 07:27 PM)
To who, his brother? :)

The biggest thing with Peavy is if the insane workload this year will have a negative impact on his arm next year.

I think the fact he makes a big stink whenever they try to take him out of games leads to his over-use. So when you sign Peavy, remember you are signing a guy who is still gonna be pitching in the 7th 8th inning for the most part. In those innings he may get rocked. I'd pass on Peavy and use the money to reacquire you-know-who.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)

How many #3s can you think of that throw 200+ innings with a 3.37 ERA and a 1.096 WHIP? The way he pitched this year he is at worst a #2 starter, would be the ace of many staffs. Sure he may not be the same pitcher he was 5 years ago, but something that surprised me is that his WHIP in a Sox uniform is lower than it was in a Padres uniform. He may not have the same velocity, but the dude definitely knows how to pitch.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)

Being 100% honest, I don't think you realize how good Jake Peavy was this year