Sox' Sale finished 5th in AL Cy Young voting

TitoMB345

With 17 points, Chris Sale finished in 5th place in the AL Cy Young award voting.

he received 1 3rd place vote, 4 4th place votes, and 6 5th place votes.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-b...-cy-young-award

While he didn't win it, it's still an amazing achievement from such a young player. I hope in the next 5-10 years, we get to see him finish up even higher and hopefully win a few awards himself!

Thanks Sale, you were so much fun to watch this year! I'm so fortunate I got to see you against Kershaw in the LA game in May (even though we didn't win).

QUOTE (SoxnGiants @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 11:17 PM)
The link seems to show him in 6th place - behind Rodney. Someone (from Texas) actually gave Rodney a 1st place vote...

Probably the same idiot who voted for Michael Young as the MVP last year.

I'm still wondering how David Price won. Verlander didn't have the 24 wins he had last year, but he was every bit as good this year and better than David Price according to a lot of metrics.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 01:40 AM)
Probably the same idiot who voted for Michael Young as the MVP last year.

I'm still wondering how David Price won. Verlander didn't have the 24 wins he had last year, but he was every bit as good this year and better than David Price according to a lot of metrics.

More Ws and a better ERA...I think its justified.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 08:18 AM)
Rodney had one of the most, if not the most, dominant seasons a closer has ever had. I think 1 first place vote is justified.

Rodney certainly had an amazing season, but I'd say Eckersley's 1990 season was better. 48 saves, .60 ERA, .614 WHIP an insane 18.25 SO/BB ratio. Only walked 4 batters in 73 1/3 innings (one was intentional).

I'm never a fan of voting for a reliever as Cy Young. As remarkable as Rodney's season was, he still "only" had a WAR of 3.7. Amazing for a reliever, but barely over half of what a typical Cy Young winner has.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
Rodney certainly had an amazing season, but I'd say Eckersley's 1990 season was better. 48 saves, .60 ERA, .614 WHIP an insane 18.25 SO/BB ratio. Only walked 4 batters in 73 1/3 innings (one was intentional).

I'm never a fan of voting for a reliever as Cy Young. As remarkable as Rodney's season was, he still "only" had a WAR of 3.7. Amazing for a reliever, but barely over half of what a typical Cy Young winner has.

This is where I really disagree with the WAR calculation. It mostly uses innings pitched in the calculation. I would say a reliever could have an impact on more games than a starter.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 17, 2012 -> 10:28 PM)
This is where I really disagree with the WAR calculation. It mostly uses innings pitched in the calculation. I would say a reliever could have an impact on more games than a starter.

WAR for relievers takes Leverage Index into account, so in a sense, they are getting more credit for pitching in innings that are more important.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 08:22 PM)
WAR for relievers takes Leverage Index into account, so in a sense, they are getting more credit for pitching in innings that are more important.

Does that minimize the credit they get for 3-run saves? If so, that's helpful in legitimizing the calculation.

Listen I like Sale, I like him a lot. But I am not ready to call him an Ace just yet. I know 2012 was his first full season as a starter, but he needs to show me he can be as effective in the 2nd half of the season as he was in the first. His Aug/Sept combined numbers of 5-5 over 68IP with a 3.83 ERA and 1.34 WHIP tell me that he has a lot to prove before being labeled an "ace".

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 09:00 PM)
Does that minimize the credit they get for 3-run saves? If so, that's helpful in legitimizing the calculation.

Leverage is based on how close the score is, what inning it is, how many outs, and how many men are on base. So yeah, it would mean 3 run saves would be less meaningful than 1 run saves.