White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 07:49 AM)
So far, the winter meetings have been coma-inducing in regards to the Sox. I realize there's still plenty of time before spring training, but I was at least expecting some rumors.

Only rumors out there seem to have them considering the horrible list of available 3B options on the open market.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 10:14 AM)
I think "not that strong" was in reference to his defense

Yep, it was. Sorry, my post was poorly constructed because I went right into being gloomy about his offense and didn't expound on his defense. His zone ratings as an infielder are very negative overall. Although several of those innings played were at SS, which is more difficult.

Heyman tweeted that Choo and Cabrera are very available...but Indians are looking for long-term assets.

I'm not sure either fits with the Sox needs, though. Choo has always been a Sox killer...

An infielder that can hit is exactly what the Sox need, and being a switch-hitter is a major bonus. I'd have to stop calling him Assdribble though . . .

You guys might flame me for this, but I wouldn't mind Jack Hannahan at all. He's a lefty, and a Hannahan/Morel platoon would be drastically better than Morel alone. Both players play solid defense (Hannahan is better) and can get hot, especially when always hitting with the platoon advantage.

Don't get me wrong, it needs to be a fallback option, but it's emerged as a really solid one, I think. And, I'll also point out that if this happens, I'd expect them to make an upgrade elsewhere with the cost/trade chip savings.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
Heyman tweeted that Choo and Cabrera are very available...but Indians are looking for long-term assets.

I'm not sure either fits with the Sox needs, though. Choo has always been a Sox killer...

Rumor has it that Cabrera for Bauer has some legs -- the Sox don't have any offer that can approach that. I agree that we could use him, but I don't think there's any hope of it happening at all.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
You guys might flame me for this, but I wouldn't mind Jack Hannahan at all. He's a lefty, and a Hannahan/Morel platoon would be drastically better than Morel alone. Both players play solid defense (Hannahan is better) and can get hot, especially when always hitting with the platoon advantage.

Don't get me wrong, it needs to be a fallback option, but it's emerged as a really solid one, I think. And, I'll also point out that if this happens, I'd expect them to make an upgrade elsewhere with the cost/trade chip savings.

I will say this-- I'd rather spend a million on someone like JH and platoon if I'm not totally confident in paying one of these other options.

Much like when we signed Orlando Hudson....the deal was so low risk that it simply acted as a placeholder til something better (Youk) made itself available to us.

Were we to overpay for something very mediocre right now, I'd be sadder.

The thing is...there may be some level of concern that Morel's back makes him a question mark even for platooning. It sounds like a total wildcard regarding how much they can even count on him.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
I will say this-- I'd rather spend a million on someone like JH and platoon if I'm not totally confident in paying one of these other options.

Much like when we signed Orlando Hudson....the deal was so low risk that it simply acted as a placeholder til something better (Youk) made itself available to us.

Were we to overpay for something very mediocre right now, I'd be sadder.

Which is the exact reason I actually hope they stay away from Youkilis.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 08:12 PM)
That's totally fine -- if you aren't interested in evaluating player performance, there's nothing wrong with that. Just acknowledge (to yourself) that you have no idea what you're talking about and remember that since you don't understand and have no interest in learning, that no one should take your assessment seriously.
Arrogance personified.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
Which is the exact reason I actually hope they stay away from Youkilis.

Hmm...you may be right, but I just feel like last year showed us a few things about Youk. Boston fans painted him as hopelessly done, but it is always interesting to me when I see a statistical spike FOLLOWING something that could've been a source of motivation.

Motivation is talked about endlessly in the abstract, but if a player responds after a career-testing event...it gives you some evidence he may have a fair amount left.

And in this, I consider his injuries in BOS, not just Valentine.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
Hmm...you may be right, but I just feel like last year showed us a few things about Youk. Boston fans painted him as hopelessly done, but it is always interesting to me when I see a statistical spike FOLLOWING something that could've been a source of motivation.

Motivation is talked about endlessly in the abstract, but if a player responds after a career-testing event...it gives you some evidence he may have a fair amount left.

I think health is the question with Youkilis. I'm actually confident that he's still very much an above average player when healthy, I just think that he is playing hurt most of the time now.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)

That's the thing, he was still far, far below his career averages even after getting traded and seeing that spike.

.236/.346/.425/.771 with the White Sox

.283/.384/.482/.867 for his career

He's going to be 34 next season, has a bit of a bum back, and fell off big time last year. I think he's a bigger risk than people tend to realize.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 10:23 AM)
If only that were true

Only Youk and Keppinger are guys I'd say are probably better offensively. But Beckham would be better defensively than either one. And Beckham doesn't have the health risks of Youk. Nor does he make as much money as either would get. Also, I could see Beckham improving even just a bit, and be as good as Keppinger with the bat.

I don't think the market is full of better options than Beckham. Two guys maybe, the rest, Beckham would be better.

I'm not convinced Keppinger/Beckham is better than Beckham /Sanchez, especially factoring in money. Sanchez has the potential to be an ideal 2 hitter with some speed. Beckham has enough power to justify 3rd. It might be an upgrade defensively. From what I understand, Sanchez has a real good glove. It would be nice to have more range at second and Beckham is better at third than the corpse of Youk.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
That's the thing, he was still far, far below his career averages even after getting traded and seeing that spike.

.236/.346/.425/.771 with the White Sox

.283/.384/.482/.867 for his career

He's going to be 34 next season, has a bit of a bum back, and fell off big time last year. I think he's a bigger risk than people tend to realize.

I understand what you're saying. But, I mean, if he was still at his career averages...this guy isn't even in the conversation for us...would be making tons of money, and would not have been acquired for Brent Lillibridge. That Red Sox Youk is gone, but that doesn't mean we totally disregard what he's shown he can still do.

If the championship window is something we determine is open, then the question has to be....are our chances better hoping Youk stays healthy, or hoping Morel/Hannahan/Keppinger beat their career stats? All are risks, but I'd consider the former a lower one.

Like you, though, I will be interested to see what the price for him ends up being....I want him back at something reasonable, but you're right to fear what the 3b market will net for him..that I grant.

Edited by Jose Paniagua