AJ will not return to Sox

Big Hurt35

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 06:51 AM)
"might be" carries a very wide probability range. I could say I "might be" fat and I "might be" sleeping with Kate Upton tonight, yet the likelihoods of both statements are vastly different.

Buster_ESPN A very respected agent who is canvassing the catchers' market thinks that eventually, there will be a reunion of A.J. Pierzynski/CWS.

This is Olney's tweet.

Who knows? Maybe the teams are lining up to sign AJ and he is slowly willing to sign with Sox for cheap or he might be the next Jermaine Dye.

"might be" carries a very wide probability range. I could say I "might be" fat and I "might be" sleeping with Kate Upton tonight, yet the likelihoods of both statements are vastly different.

Probably just the Sox putting things out there as a favor to AJ's leverage w/ other teams

also, jesus christ, is kate upton in about 90% of the conditionals these days?

This part of the probability range does not apply to reality. AJ returning to the Sox isnt farfetched

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 07:04 AM)
If the Yankees don't take him, i don't know where else he's got a starting job. With the offers drying up, maybe the Sox do work something out with him on the cheap? If that's the case, I still would like to see T-Flo get more starts than last year.

I have seen Texas mentioned over the last few days as well but your point is a good one. I kind of figured he would not have as great of a market as was once thought. AJ has gotten whatever he wants here for a long time. He gets to play pretty much whenever he wants. We don't hear about many clubhouse problems but many of his teammates can't stand him. I just think that and the fact that he is bad defensively and 36 years old is what is making teams reluctant to sign him.

I am sitting here wondering what the level of interest is from the Sox.

We want him back at any price (Definately not IMHO)

We want him back at a fair price (Doesn't seem likely at this point)

We want him back at a bargain price (Seems likely)

We don't want him back at any price (unlikely)

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 08:46 AM)
I am sitting here wondering what the level of interest is from the Sox.

We want him back at any price (Definately not IMHO)

We want him back at a fair price (Doesn't seem likely at this point)

We want him back at a bargain price (Seems likely)

We don't want him back at any price (unlikely)

How do you define a "Fair price"?

If it's based of his career numbers and age, that's probably a number the Sox would be interested in.

If it's based off his career year numbers last year, then the same number would be a bargain.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 07:52 AM)
How do you define a "Fair price"?

If it's based of his career numbers and age, that's probably a number the Sox would be interested in.

If it's based off his career year numbers last year, then the same number would be a bargain.

If the Sox are interested in bringing back AJ, I doubt they would pay him less than they paid him last season. $6 million a year can be construed as both a bargain and fair.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
If the Sox are interested in bringing back AJ, I doubt they would pay him less than they paid him last season. $6 million a year can be construed as both a bargain and fair.

We went into last season trying to move AJ because that seemed like a lot of money for what AJ would produce. 1 year, $4 million or so would have been a fair expectation for AJ had he not destroyed the league last year, and that's the range that the Sox would probably be in.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 08:04 AM)

Wasn't that contract backloaded though? Wasn't it 2 mil for year one and 6 for year with a total value of 2 years for 8 mil? You're right though. I don't see them giving him much of a pay cut if any.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 06:54 AM)
Buster_ESPN A very respected agent who is canvassing the catchers' market thinks that eventually, there will be a reunion of A.J. Pierzynski/CWS.

This is Olney's tweet.

Who knows? Maybe the teams are lining up to sign AJ and he is slowly willing to sign with Sox for cheap or he might be the next Jermaine Dye.

Team's arent lining up for AJP like his agent may have thought they would.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 09:32 AM)
That's what I meant, my fault.

Yeah I was just clarifying for you. That was primarily one of the reasons the Sox told him to kick rocks. They werent going to set the market for a guy that other teams still view as a clubhouse cancer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
If the Sox don't spend money elsewhere, and AJ still can't find a job, it would make sense if they got him back cheaply.

I would lke to see AJP back in a White sox uniform. I am not sold on Flowers as an everyday catcher. I also don't see this being contingent as a "cheap" signing but maybe a discount. After all how much money is enough money?

Meh... Hope not. I'm ready to move on from AJ. Money is better spent elsewhere...

Yeah, but if the market gets down to where it only takes 1/$4M or 2/$7M, I think the Sox have to come up with that kind of money. Even though AJ doesn't solve the OBP problem, his offense is hard to replace at the catcher position.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 12:57 PM)
It seems like the Rangers are too busy with the Upton, Hamilton, and pitching concerns, but they'll eventually get around to getting a catcher. I think AJ goes to the Rangers for two years....maybe 5-6 mil/year.

Compared to what I thought he'd get at the start of the year, if the Rangers can get AJ for 2/$10, I have no idea why they wouldn't.