Catch-All Anything Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 3, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
Don't we have someone here that works for REI? Squirt?

I ask because I just had the worst customer service experience (no exaggeration) in my life at my local REI store and I'm stunned. The dude was being a smug asshole and lectured me on why I shouldn't be returning an item that I bought. He wasn't going to do it at first, but said this time he would. He said that they "don't do returns" unless the product is damaged in some way. He also told me REI wasn't a rental store for people to try stuff out and bring it back. Considering all the tags were on the pullover I was returning, I have no idea what the hell he was talking about. Like, yeah dude, I was definitely wearing this around town with all the tags still on it.

Anyway, if this is how their customer service people are taught to act, then I'm never shopping there again. And I love REI so it will sadden me to do that. I've spent lots of money there in my life, but never had to return something until now. You'd think they'd treat their long time customers better (not that he had any way of knowing that, except for I guess my membership # was on the receipt).

That's brutal. I normally don't go out of my way to complain about someone, but if it's something like that, I'd feel better bringing that up to a manager or calling someone else about it, especially since you still want to shop there and not have one bad apple ruin it. If everyone else is normally great to you, hopefully it was an isolated incident. Hell, if you explain your situation and how much money you spend there, someone may give you a special offer or something.

Also, they "don't do returns?" I'm pretty sure they have a written policy (I don't know what it is) that was likely on the receipt. I don't know that I would have been able to hold back from pointing to it and saying "actually, says here you do"

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 3, 2013 -> 02:27 PM)
That's brutal. I normally don't go out of my way to complain about someone, but if it's something like that, I'd feel better bringing that up to a manager or calling someone else about it, especially since you still want to shop there and not have one bad apple ruin it. If everyone else is normally great to you, hopefully it was an isolated incident. Hell, if you explain your situation and how much money you spend there, someone may give you a special offer or something.

Also, they "don't do returns?" I'm pretty sure they have a written policy (I don't know what it is) that was likely on the receipt. I don't know that I would have been able to hold back from pointing to it and saying "actually, says here you do"

I think I was so stunned by the whole situation that I didn't know what to do. I kind of wish I had made a bigger deal about it, but that's not my style. I'm an incredibly easy-going guy so I don't ever get worked up over stuff like this, but this was different. I'm the guy who still tips 20% at a restaurant even if I have a terrible server (usually I'm an over-tipper). I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. But this guy truly pissed me off.

And yes, direct quote: "We really don't do returns." What an asinine statement.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 3, 2013 -> 03:30 PM)
I think I was so stunned by the whole situation that I didn't know what to do. I kind of wish I had made a bigger deal about it, but that's not my style. I'm an incredibly easy-going guy so I don't ever get worked up over stuff like this, but this was different. I'm the guy who still tips 20% at a restaurant even if I have a terrible server (usually I'm an over-tipper). I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. But this guy truly pissed me off.

And yes, direct quote: "We really don't do returns." What an asinine statement.

You should call or email up the chain through their website. You don't have to give the person's name if you don't want, but my impression of service at REI has been that they'd probably like to know about that experience.

The REI Guarantee

We stand behind everything we sell. If at any time your REI purchase doesn't meet your expectations, you can return it for a replacement or refund. What's more, if you're an REI member, you don’t even need a receipt—we'll have a record of your purchase.

A friend of mine returned an inflatable sleeping pad to REI 2 years after she bought it and they replaced it without hesitation.

I have run into a jackass salesperson there on one occasion.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
You should call or email up the chain through their website. You don't have to give the person's name if you don't want, but my impression of service at REI has been that they'd probably like to know about that experience.

Yep, look for their corporate number, and start there.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 12:01 AM)
Thanks everyone for your responses. Having read them, I'm definitely going to bring this to REI's attention. I don't think I'll mention the guy's name, but I at least want them to know it's something that needs to be addressed.

Other thing to keep in mind is you might not be the only one who has had that problem at that store...the only way that management might realize they have a problem with a specific store is if a couple different people make their issue known.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 3, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)
Don't we have someone here that works for REI? Squirt?

I ask because I just had the worst customer service experience (no exaggeration) in my life at my local REI store and I'm stunned. The dude was being a smug asshole and lectured me on why I shouldn't be returning an item that I bought. He wasn't going to do it at first, but said this time he would. He said that they "don't do returns" unless the product is damaged in some way. He also told me REI wasn't a rental store for people to try stuff out and bring it back. Considering all the tags were on the pullover I was returning, I have no idea what the hell he was talking about. Like, yeah dude, I was definitely wearing this around town with all the tags still on it.

Anyway, if this is how their customer service people are taught to act, then I'm never shopping there again. And I love REI so it will sadden me to do that. I've spent lots of money there in my life, but never had to return something until now. You'd think they'd treat their long time customers better (not that he had any way of knowing that, except for I guess my membership # was on the receipt).

Yeah I work for them and based on your story, he is clearly in the wrong. I'd say you either caught a bad apple or someone having a bad day. Our return policy is incredibly liberal and you shouldn't have any issues when you have the tags on your item. I'd contact the store manager.

I keep getting violation notices from IPASS, I've called in twice now to pay off the fees (I had some stupid error on my account, it was my fault so I paid it off). But even though I gave them the violation number, and paid off what their assistant on the phone said, they keep coming back with these larger fees.

I have no idea what else to do, their website blows, and I can't seem to get a hold of somebody that can actually do something about this because I paid off what their system said I owed (which was like $30 in fines) but they keep mailing me fines of now $280.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
Yeah I work for them and based on your story, he is clearly in the wrong. I'd say you either caught a bad apple or someone having a bad day. Our return policy is incredibly liberal and you shouldn't have any issues when you have the tags on your item. I'd contact the store manager.

Cool. Glad to hear that. Thanks for the response.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 05:44 PM)
I keep getting violation notices from IPASS, I've called in twice now to pay off the fees (I had some stupid error on my account, it was my fault so I paid it off). But even though I gave them the violation number, and paid off what their assistant on the phone said, they keep coming back with these larger fees.

I have no idea what else to do, their website blows, and I can't seem to get a hold of somebody that can actually do something about this because I paid off what their system said I owed (which was like $30 in fines) but they keep mailing me fines of now $280.

I just got charged $40 to fill my iPass but can't believe I used up my previous $40 already. I rarely go on tollway. Have to check my account.

As of today, I'm no longer a college baseball player. Got taken down by a kind of weird shoulder injury -- our training staff really doesn't know why I have it beyond "throwing is bad for you" and "you must have gotten it a long time ago."

I was lucky enough to get an excuse to stick around the team...I now will start doing play by play for our video streaming service for home games. I get a little money, a drastic reduction in time commitment, and I don't abandon a program that was good to me. Win win.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
Paul Konerko would too and it would end up costing the team, so there.

Haha yeah, I pulled a Konerko and played too long as it is. I was out there with no velocity and too much pain to actually think clearly about what I was doing. Luckily I was a sinkerballer so I got away with things a little bit more than a different type of pitcher.

Thanks for the kind words everybody. Unluckily for you guys, this only leaves more time for me to be posting on here...at least until I get a part time job.