Bryan Anderson vs Hector Gimenez

NorthSideSox72

Saw something last night about Hahn liking the BrYan Anderson acquisition, and it seemed to indicate maybe Gimenez doesn't have the backup C job locked up. Anderson hits LH, and has a shot at it.

What do people know about Anderson's defense? And who would you say should get the job, based on what you know prior to Spring Training?

We'll try and jump start this a bit.

Anderson has the looks of Donny Lucy numbers wise. There just really isn't anything impressive whatsoever in the last 4 years out of him. Meanwhile, Gimenez has actually put up some pretty good power and discipline numbers, so depending upon defense, I would like to see Gimenez get it.

All that said, I don't think I'm really going to mind who does win, so long as Flowers shows he appears capable of handling about 100 games from behind the plate.

Hopefully neither, but getting a lefty hitter than can play for Flowers against the tough righties in the division would be great. We talked about this briefly in another thread, but the bench as it stands right now is awful and I'm not quite sure what the front office is thinking.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 05:07 PM)
Hopefully neither, but getting a lefty hitter than can play for Flowers against the tough righties in the division would be great. We talked about this briefly in another thread, but the bench as it stands right now is awful and I'm not quite sure what the front office is thinking.

Agree with the overall bench issue. Assuming Gimenez, Wise, & Sanchez make it, I'm still not even sure who the last guy on the bench would be. That's a huge concern IMO given that one of the four guys on the bench is a minor league journeyman catcher and another is a Rule 5 pick infielder.

I'm actually perfectly fine with Wise as the 4th OF, especially with Danks, Tekotte, & Mitchell as left-handed OFs in AAA who offer similar skills.

A left-handed hitting IF would help big time. Against tough righties, it would be nice to plug in a left-handed bat at 3B, SS, or 2B. Who knows, maybe Hahn thinks Carlos Sanchez will be ready by mid-season and can fill the role then.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 06:47 PM)
An anagram for "Gordon Beckham" is "Bench Mark Good," which would appear to bode well for bench players on our team named Mark. Do we have anyone on our benched named Mark? I don't know. It's hard to even care anymore.

A left handed hitting catcher coming off the bench or he might be good enough to beat out Flowers. Bryan Adams

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 05:07 PM)

Yeah this bench is pretty terrible. It could certainly hamper us throughout the season if this doesnt change.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 10:22 PM)
I don't think the left-handed bat argument has any merit here. Gimenez is a switch hitter, which by that argument would make him the better option. Regardless, I like Gimenez just a little more, but let the two of them fight it out. Reminds me of 2005 with Widger and Davis.

I agree with what you're saying, but some switch hitters just suck from one side or the other. What I'd really like to know is if Gimenez is naturally a lefty or a righty.

Regardless, I'm not sure how much it matters. While we all like to think about the big picture and how a left-handed backup better complements Flowers, we often forget that it only matters if Robin will use the backup effectively. Unfortunately, based on last year, he didn't really play into matchups much, as it seemed like he always played the backup catcher in day games after a night game.

If that's the case, then I'd probably go with Gimenez regardless who is better from the left side of the plate.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
You should take Steve up on that bet when he says Viciedo Dunn and Flowers won't hit 80HR.

Well they're going to hit 160 between them, so not sure what the debate is.

Seriously, I think Flowers is going to surprise. Of course, he could put up an .825 OPS and people will be upset because he hits .230 with a zillion strikeouts, so it's pointless anyways. If he cut back on his strikeouts, people would say "how come he doesn't swing his hardest, he might hit a few more home runs!"

Seriously, I can't remember the last Sox catcher who had a minor league track record like Flowers' starting for the Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 09:22 AM)
Soxtalk worries a lot about the last reliever in the pen and the back up catcher for some strange reason.

The concern in general about the whole bench is a bit much, I think. Last year our bench had a guy coming off a .845 OPS and another with a career .360 OBP. They were terrible. It's hard to predict how guys who aren't good enough to start anymore (or never were) are going to perform in a very small sample. You just have to hope they aren't used much. Luckily we have the best conditioning staff in baseball and miss fewer days to the DL than anyone. It'd be nice to have at least one guy on the bench with some power, but I'll wait to see what the roster is two months from now. If there is truly a problem with the bench that turns out to hinder the team significantly, it will be addressed during the season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 08:49 AM)
Well they're going to hit 160 between them, so not sure what the debate is.

Seriously, I think Flowers is going to surprise. Of course, he could put up an .825 OPS and people will be upset because he hits .230 with a zillion strikeouts, so it's pointless anyways. If he cut back on his strikeouts, people would say "how come he doesn't swing his hardest, he might hit a few more home runs!"

Seriously, I can't remember the last Sox catcher who had a minor league track record like Flowers' starting for the Sox.

I like him as well. His OBP will be refreshing to see in this lineup starved of it.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 08:54 AM)
The concern in general about the whole bench is a bit much, I think. Last year our bench had a guy coming off a .845 OPS and another with a career .360 OBP. They were terrible. It's hard to predict how guys who aren't good enough to start anymore (or never were) are going to perform in a very small sample. You just have to hope they aren't used much. Luckily we have the best conditioning staff in baseball and miss fewer days to the DL than anyone. It'd be nice to have at least one guy on the bench with some power, but I'll wait to see what the roster is two months from now. If there is truly a problem with the bench that turns out to hinder the team significantly, it will be addressed during the season.

Thank God it's only a little over 2 months away. :headbang

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 08:54 AM)

As long as they try hard and can play multiple positions pretty well defensively, I could pretty much care less how they hit.

I know that Flowers is going to be our workhorse so we won't be leaning on our backup too much....But it's looking more and more like Gimenez is the guy. Anyone have strong feelings either way about him being a full time backup? All I know is that he was once a top prospect and then messed up his shoulder...

btw I read the board all the time....just don't really post....this has had me wondering for a few weeks now though.