This team is a catastrophe right now

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 01:14 AM)
I never had high expectations for this team in 13. I have the luxury of living out of the Chicago viewing area. There seems to be no immediate future with this organization. I would like to see the ownership sell. If not I think we are in for the same poor scouting, poor developing, bad luck in the FA market, we've seen for quite some time.

It not unusual for this team to have a bad April.

7-7 at home and 3-7 on road entering a real long road swing. Already five back in the loss column. I don't know why I'm ripped for saying it might be time to start turning this baby around. People blast me, but I think it's time to have a killer month of May if the Sox are going to do anything except be a team that somehow steals a s***ty division. I realize because of injuries it's unpopular to blast the team right now. Sox have a lot of parts missing.

Since 1993 an I'm choosing that since its the most amount of playoff appearances in a 20 year gap (A whopping grand total of FOUR WHOLE TIMES! --- Christ this franchise is pretty terrible when you really think about it haha)

They have never made the playoffs with a losing record in April. Never. History just not on their side. Not saying a winning April guarantees playoffs (last year for example) but historically it helps a whole hell of a lot.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 12:55 AM)
I like John Danks, but when has John Danks ever pitched like an ace?

2008/2009...other than Game 163 and a few memorable moments, he's a 2 and possibly 3 on the top teams in baseball.

Maybe his salary/contract extension caused raised expectations?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 01:14 AM)
Since 1993 an I'm choosing that since its the most amount of playoff appearances in a 20 year gap (A whopping grand total of FOUR WHOLE TIMES! --- Christ this franchise is pretty terrible when you really think about it haha)

They have never made the playoffs with a losing record in April. Never. History just not on their side. Not saying a winning April guarantees playoffs (last year for example) but historically it helps a whole hell of a lot.

Might want to check your "facts".

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 06:19 AM)
Might want to check your "facts".

They had winning records in April in '93, '00, '05, and '08. The last time they made the playoffs with a losing record in April was '83, and they were actually 20-25 after May of that year. They went 46-15 over the last 2 months.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 11:22 PM)
Umm opening day last year Danks was our ace. He was the opening day stater. How fast you forget after a good year by Sale and Peavy after the fact.

Umm he said they are without their ace. Danks is far from their ace right now, even if healthy. At best they're missing their #3 or #4 starter.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
Umm he said they are without their ace. Danks is far from their ace right now, even if healthy. At best they're missing their #3 or #4 starter.

A healthy John Danks is a reasonable #2 starter on a very good team.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 06:30 AM)
They had winning records in April in '93, '00, '05, and '08. The last time they made the playoffs with a losing record in April was '83, and they were actually 20-25 after May of that year. They went 46-15 over the last 2 months.

Yeah what he said.

When I talked about NEVER making the playoffs I was strictly talking in context about 93-Now. That is 100% the facts. I understand the '83 team didn't have a winning April as Hawk has reminded me 8,000 times this year...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 09:22 AM)
A healthy John Danks is a reasonable #2 starter on a very good team.

Well we're talking about the current White Sox team. Even if he's back, which is a big "if" he's healthy and is he back to previous form - are you taking him over Sale or Peavy? I wouldn't think so this year.

We've had injuries, sure, the point is let's not pretend the Sox are without their best starter right now, or "ace"

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 07:20 AM)

Arguing semantics. Last time Danks was thought to be healthy he was our opening day starter, our #1 starter , the ace of the staff even if not considered a true "ace" . Now while he was injured Sale and Peavy proved better than Danks . I'd even put Quintana ahead of him at this point if he can come back.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 01:54 AM)
So who was that pitching in the Chris Sale jersey?

Please I beseech you not to forget that John Danks was considered heir to the crown of ACE. Sale is there and I would not rule out Peavy. Get Danks back healthy and we are looking good 1-2-3 and several other real good ones fitting in at 4-5 and even 6.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
Arguing semantics. Last time Danks was thought to be healthy he was our opening day starter, our #1 starter , the ace of the staff even if not considered a true "ace" . Now while he was injured Sale and Peavy proved better than Danks . I'd even put Quintana ahead of him at this point if he can come back.

Key words being "last time."

Let's not make this out to be "poor White Sox, they are missing their ace #1 pitcher" because it's a load of s***. Which is where this whole thing started.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 11:40 AM)
Let's not make this out to be "poor White Sox, they are missing their ace #1 pitcher" because it's a load of s***. Which is where this whole thing started.

And we may never see the "Ace" version of John Danks again.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 11:49 PM)
Detroit just beat Atlanta three games in a row.

Unless Scherzer's and Verlander's arms fall off, they will win 88-94 games and be the class of the division again.

That team may not be the best at catching a baseball but they got a lot of other things in their favor.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
Courtney Hawkins has his strikeout percentage up to 55%. There have been 8 games where he had 3 or more strikeouts, and his season just started on April 5.

Our top prospect, correct?

Lovely.

You bring such an optimistic viewpoint to things...;)

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)
Courtney Hawkins has his strikeout percentage up to 55%. There have been 8 games where he had 3 or more strikeouts, and his season just started on April 5.

Lovely.

Guys is f*cking April, he's 19, and he's among the youngest guys at his level.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)

Lovely.

Feel free to discuss in the FS forum. There is even a thread, and an FS article, discussing it.

Meanwhile, this has zero to do with the current team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 08:06 PM)
Meanwhile, this has zero to do with the current team.

I'm searching for a light at the end of the tunnel, but all I see is a 55% strikeout rate.

But but, he's only 19 duuuude!

And Jared Mitchell has a 42% strikeout rate, which is actually pretty good in comparison.

Can't wait for the future to get here.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 09:50 PM)
I'm searching for a light at the end of the tunnel, but all I see is a 55% strikeout rate.

But but, he's only 19 duuuude!

And Jared Mitchell has a 42% strikeout rate, which is actually pretty good in comparison.

Can't wait for the future to get here.

What about Johnson, Snodgress and Beck?

Organizational filler/AAAA/journeyman candidates?

Swing mechanics aren't impossible to adjust if you catch them early enough and if the hitter is a willing learner. That's part of the due diligence that goes into drafting a raw/talented athlete with an unfinished game and lack of experience....who was just getting by at the high school level with pure tools and low baseball acumen.

He has the raw bat speed and abundance of talent, it's just a matter of getting rid of all the elements (hitch, bat/hand positioning, timing device/s, head movement) that are slowing down his swing plane.

Edited by caulfield12