Nats DFA Henry Rodriguez

Eminor3rd

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 07:12 PM)
Not if you actually look at the numbers. Omogrosso gives up doubles. This guy walks you and then wild pitches you to second.

Omogrosso gives up homers and doubles, strikes out less batters, more hits per 9.

Like I said, you dont like him because he is wild. Thats fine, It doesnt make a difference to me, I like HRs arm better. But it probably doesnt matter anyways, I highly doubt he gets to the Sox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 07:13 PM)
Omogrosso had devastating stuff before his injuries.

Every GM in baseball is going to take Rodriguez's "potential" over Brian's lowered ceiling.

Didn't Rodriquez have elbow surgery? His k rate is down. Guys making near the minimum who are 26 years old who throw 100 and have a ton of potential generally don't get DFA'd. But if is that coveted some team will give up something for him. He can be traded.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 07:08 PM)
Who would you drop? He really is no better than Omogrosso.

IF Don Cooper sees something he thinks he can fix, he could be better than anyone currently in the pen. If not, you don't pick him up. Its not like you are losing something by sending Omo to Charlotte.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 07:17 PM)
Omogrosso gives up homers and doubles, strikes out less batters, more hits per 9.

Like I said, you dont like him because he is wild. Thats fine, It doesnt make a difference to me, I like HRs arm better. But it probably doesnt matter anyways, I highly doubt he gets to the Sox

Why would he have to get to the Sox? They could trade for him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 08:08 PM)
Who would you drop? He really is no better than Omogrosso.

We have open spots on the 40 man, no one would have to be dropped. Sent down, fine, Omogrosso, he's already been optioned this year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 06:18 PM)
Didn't Rodriquez have elbow surgery? His k rate is down. Guys making near the minimum who are 26 years old who throw 100 and have a ton of potential generally don't get DFA'd. But if is that coveted some team will give up something for him. He can be traded.

"You give up on these guys too quick and they turn out to be Joel Hanrahan on you," D.C. GM Mike Rizzo told 106.7 the FAN in D.C.'s Holden Kushner last summer, "and it makes you look pretty bad." When Henry Rodriguez struggled this Spring, Washington Nationals' manager Davey Johnson explained to reporters why he hadn't yet given up on the hard-throwing, control-challenged 26-year-old right-hander who had to either make the Nats' Opening Day roster this year or pass through waivers if the defending NL East Champs wanted to send him down to one of their affiliates.

"If he's healthy, he's got three off-the-chart big league pitches," Johnson said. The Nationals' manager also joked about how Rodriguez's velocity was coming back even if the command wasn't quite there as he recovered from the elbow surgery which ended his 2012 campaign prematurely. "He's throwing 98 [mph], it just ain't going over," Johnson said. That has always been the problem with Rodriguez off course. A plus fastball, plus slider and command that comes and goes. Bat shattering and knee buckling at times, with a devastating change as well. 5.99 BB/9 in his career and 8.00 BB/9 in 18.0 IP in 2013 after tonight's game in Atlanta.

federalbaseball.com

I wouldn't be shocked if the team that picks him up tries to make him a starter in the minors...just to see if that helps him get his control and feel for pitching back.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 07:27 PM)
"You give up on these guys too quick and they turn out to be Joel Hanrahan on you," D.C. GM Mike Rizzo told 106.7 the FAN in D.C.'s Holden Kushner last summer, "and it makes you look pretty bad." When Henry Rodriguez struggled this Spring, Washington Nationals' manager Davey Johnson explained to reporters why he hadn't yet given up on the hard-throwing, control-challenged 26-year-old right-hander who had to either make the Nats' Opening Day roster this year or pass through waivers if the defending NL East Champs wanted to send him down to one of their affiliates.

"If he's healthy, he's got three off-the-chart big league pitches," Johnson said. The Nationals' manager also joked about how Rodriguez's velocity was coming back even if the command wasn't quite there as he recovered from the elbow surgery which ended his 2012 campaign prematurely. "He's throwing 98 [mph], it just ain't going over," Johnson said. That has always been the problem with Rodriguez off course. A plus fastball, plus slider and command that comes and goes. Bat shattering and knee buckling at times, with a devastating change as well. 5.99 BB/9 in his career and 8.00 BB/9 in 18.0 IP in 2013 after tonight's game in Atlanta.

federalbaseball.com

I wouldn't be shocked if the team that picks him up tries to make him a starter in the minors...just to see if that helps him get his control and feel for pitching back.

If any team wants to send him to the minors he will have to clear waivers. The choice, if you claim him or trade for him, is to have him on the roster and see if he can get some semblance of command or try to get him through waivers yourself. It seems to be a new trend. Guys getting dfa'd 3,4 times a year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 06:36 PM)
If any team wants to send him to the minors he will have to clear waivers. The choice, if you claim him or trade for him, is to have him on the roster and see if he can get some semblance of command or try to get him through waivers yourself. It seems to be a new trend. Guys getting dfa'd 3,4 times a year.

It would be STUPID for the Sox to pass on him, if he got to them on a waiver claim.

Jones or Omogrosso could be sent down, and Santiago should really be starting for Charlotte anyway.

Cooper would at least have a chance to work with him one-on-one and see what he could accomplish.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 07:39 PM)
It would be STUPID for the Sox to pass on him, if he got to them on a waiver claim.

Jones or Omogrosso could be sent down, and Santiago should really be starting for Charlotte anyway.

Cooper would at least have a chance to work with him one-on-one and see what he could accomplish.

This is where I disagree. If there is a simple fix, like there was with Thornton, then I'm sure the Sox would try to trade for him. If there is no simple or reasonable fix, he is a guy who throws 100 that sucks. There have been far more pitchers Cooper couldn't fix than he could fix. For their careers he allows 3 less baserunners per 50 innings than Omogrosso. I also think Rizzo would probably prefer moving him to an AL team just in case someone found something, although I wouldn't hold my breath.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 07:23 PM)
We have open spots on the 40 man, no one would have to be dropped. Sent down, fine, Omogrosso, he's already been optioned this year.

No when a players get DFA the team has 10 days to trade, release or send the players through waivers. Any team can negotiate with the Nats for Rodriguez until the 10 days pass, or the Nats put him on waivers.

Edited by ChiSox59

DFA'd doesn't mean he's hit waivers, right?

We should be able to put a deal together for this guy, and I'm definitely on board. We need players with upside we can run out there this year.

Yes, DFA means the team has 10 days to trade him or put him on waivers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 07:20 PM)
IF Don Cooper sees something he thinks he can fix, he could be better than anyone currently in the pen. If not, you don't pick him up. Its not like you are losing something by sending Omo to Charlotte.

Yeah, this is the point. HR has sucked but he has a huge arm, and our pitching coach, who has had some success fixing guys with big arms and control problems, hasn't had a shot at him yet.

And it wouldn't even be a possibility if we weren't using Omogrosso right now. He might not be any better than Omogrosso, but he probably won;t be worse and there's upside.

It's been a long time since things have gone this bad for the Sox. So many issues to be addressed and not a quick fix among them. At least I can look forward to seeing how this will play out. Can't help but feel we will learn a lot about Rick Hahn over the next several months. I hope he's up to the task. Would be nice to know there's a steady hand guiding this franchise.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 06:14 PM)
He is a righthander, so it isn't like anyone is clamoring for him to replace Thornton.

He is considerably younger and cheaper, and throws very hard. If coop thought he could work with him and get a flaw fixed, I certainly wouldn't mind.

Yeah, he's kinda the right-handed version of the Matt Thornton we originally acquired.

That said, who cares - just a pen arm.