Your Realistic 2014 Lineup

Dunt

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
i completely agree with this. cano just strikes me as a guy that does not always have that fire and desire for the team aspect. not the guy i want the white sox (with the way our finances are) to tie up money long term to. as someone mentioned below, id much rather sign mccann and ellsbury than just cano

Ellsbury is certain to spend a lot of time on the DL. I would rather have Cano. The Sox aren't going to sign either, but it is fun to speculate.

McCann is the guy I want the Sox to get. I don't know if it is realistic or not, but if they got him and made a correct trade or 2, picked up a couple of relievers, they really would be good to go.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
i completely agree with this. cano just strikes me as a guy that does not always have that fire and desire for the team aspect. not the guy i want the white sox (with the way our finances are) to tie up money long term to. as someone mentioned below, id much rather sign mccann and ellsbury than just cano

Honestly, I was just throwing possible scenarios at the wall. The impression I get of Cano is that he really loves the game and is passionate about it and I think he'll ultimately end up being a Hall of Famer. It doesn't mean I want the Sox to acquire him because so much has to go right for that contract to play itself out and make sense. Frankly, if he ends up anywhere other than the Yankees, I am going to be absolutely flabbergasted.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 02:55 PM)
Yup, give me Ellsbury and McCann for the same price as Cano.

Plug two holes and likely get better production for the same price.

You aren't getting Ellsbury & McCann for the same price as Cano. Those guys are each going get anywhere between $16M to $22M a year.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 05:35 PM)
You aren't getting Ellsbury & McCann for the same price as Cano. Those guys are each going get anywhere between $16M to $22M a year.

Per year, no. Total package, if Cano is dead set on getting $250 mill, or even $200 mill, there's certainly a very good possibility.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)
Looks like Granderson's a goner in NY as they have a vast interest in Shin-Soo Choo .

I don't think that means he's a goner. It really depends on whether or not they make him a qualifying offer, as I genuinely don't envision a lot of teams having interest in him if they have to give up a 1st rounder. They could easily run with an outfield of Granderson-Gardner-Choo with Soriano DHing and Wells off the bench as the 4th outfielder.

That said, there are a lot of teams interested in Choo. They won't necessarily get him in today's environment.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)
I don't think that means he's a goner. It really depends on whether or not they make him a qualifying offer, as I genuinely don't envision a lot of teams having interest in him if they have to give up a 1st rounder. They could easily run with an outfield of Granderson-Gardner-Choo with Soriano DHing and Wells off the bench as the 4th outfielder.

That said, there are a lot of teams interested in Choo. They won't necessarily get him in today's environment.

But wouldn't they want Wells to start? I may be wrong, but didn't he perform well last year?

• 2 weeks later...

LF-De Aza

SS- Alexei

RF-Avisail Garcia

DH-Dunn

1b-Jose Abreu

3b-Gillaspie/ Keppinger [trade for Garin Cecchini with Boston, for Hector Santiago: will start in AAA, should be ready by end of year to take over at 3b]

2b-Semien [beckham traded]

C-Bryan Pena/ Phegley

CF-Adam Eaton [trade with Dbacks, Dayan Vicideo part of the deal, as the Dbacks need more power, have AJ Pollock in CF]

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 07:13 AM)
LF-De Aza

SS- Alexei

RF-Avisail Garcia

DH-Dunn

1b-Jose Abreu

3b-Gillaspie/ Keppinger [trade for Garin Cecchini with Boston, for Hector Santiago: will start in AAA, should be ready by end of year to take over at 3b]

2b-Semien [beckham traded]

C-Bryan Pena/ Phegley

CF-Adam Eaton [trade with Dbacks, Dayan Vicideo part of the deal, as the Dbacks need more power, have AJ Pollock in CF]

Eaton would be a nice piece to add, with his ability to get on base. However, it appears that he is not a solution for CF:

http://baseballprospectnation.com/2012/08/...-adam-eaton-of/

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 03:55 PM)
Eaton would be a nice piece to add, with his ability to get on base. However, it appears that he is not a solution for CF:

http://baseballprospectnation.com/2012/08/...-adam-eaton-of/

I've seen other reports of his having decent defense. I know last year's defensive metrics weren't very good.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/6/25/3...scouting-report

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 10:09 AM)
I've seen other reports of his having decent defense. I know last year's defensive metrics weren't very good.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/6/25/3...scouting-report

If we're moving De Aza out of CF, it better be because of a guy who is actually fairly good in CF, not just maybe-tolerable.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 03:45 PM)
With Josh Johnson and Jarrod Saltalamcchia not receiving qualifying offers I feel like Hahn has to be all over these 2. Agree?

I would do 4/40 max for Salty and 1/10 with an option for a 2n year.

I think Johnson is a terrible fit for this team unless a couple pitchers are traded away beforehand.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 04:05 PM)
If we trade Santiago I am in for JJ but if not, let the youngins throw but your argument does preface a conversation about depth which I think is very important.

All scenarios have Snodgress, Beck and Bassit as potential 2nd half starters depending on the trajectory of their respective seasons.

Stay put:

1. Sale

2. Quintana

3. Danks

4. Santiago

5. Erik Johnson

6. Rienzo

Trade Santiago and otherwise stay put:

1. Sale

2. Quintana

3. Danks

4. Johnson

5. Rienzo

6. Leesman (god forbid we take on the Axelrod experiment again)

Trade Santiago and sign Josh Johnson:

1. Sale

2. Quintana

3. Josh Johnson

4. Danks

5. Erik Johnson

6. Rienzo

I for one am not sold on Rienzo as a starter yet but similarly to EJ, I do like his mound presence and he's a very good 6th option. I would like to have the luxury of having him his refine his pitches as a starter in AAA. To me, it all comes down what the potential return could be on Hector and what kind of a position player we could get in return. As for Johnson, our track record with pitchers makes me want him bad. If health is the issue, no staff has been as good as ours in that respect. The guy still throws hard and has been ridiculously good for several years prior to last. While I don't agree with all of the posters who overstate the need for a RHSP at the expense of one of our LHSPs, it definitely doesn't hurt that JJ is RH.

Looking at the last rotation, you basically know what you're getting from Sale and Quintana, we should expect improvement from Danks and if either Johnson plays to their full potential we have a top rotation that can handle an injury.

I agree, my argument in getting Josh Johnson is in regards to depth if Sox do trade Santiago. I really think we can get Santiago and lesser prospects for Brett Lawrie.

This happens and then sign Salty and Sox can have a legit offense

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 04:17 PM)
I agree, my argument in getting Josh Johnson is in regards to depth if Sox do trade Santiago. I really think we can get Santiago and lesser prospects for Brett Lawrie.

This happens and then sign Salty and Sox can have a legit offense

You should note that you're assuming Lawrie would have to seriously improve on his disappointing last 2 seasons for him to be a contributor to a legit offense.