2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
Joshua ...

And, in return, I didn't suggest you actually hoped that they didn't sign their pick.

Rather, I thought I carefully avoided arguing with you, but concentrated on my personal opinion. Namely, the Sox have an improving, but still barely adequate farm. ... one that is sorely lacking in legit high-ceiling guys. For any team with a system like that -- e.g., the White Sox system -- I personally believe it would indeed be truly horrible to let a draft pass you by without bringing into the system, A.S.A.P. (meaning, NOW) the kind of high-ceiling talent that the #3 pick in the entire draft should bring in.

Understood that current rules provide something of a consolation prize in next year's #4 if we aren't able to sign this year's #3. Sure, that is something. And it's possible that next year's #4 could net a better player than this year's #3. But not a single person on Earth knows that answer.

What we do know, is that not signing this year's #3 means we had a chance to bring in one of the top 3 players available in the entire draft this year (and who knows, it could be the VERY TOP player based on the team's subjective analysis) and we let it get away. Not as improved overall this year as we could be. (And yes ... someone could make an argument that foregoing a high first round pick this year opens the budget for going with multiple overslot picks in later rounds ... but the viability of a strategy like that is way outside of our discussion here).

A team with a currently or perennially strong farm might consider this a glancing blow, but for a team like the White Sox, I'd be hard-pressed to consider it as anything other than a "horrible" result (even though MLB protects us against ourselves, somewhat, in the following draft).

And full-circle back to my original point: such a scenario turns from "horrible" to "inexcusable" if this happens because we decided to play ball with The Evil Prince himself, Scott Boras.

If the Sox refuse to deal with Scott Boras at all, they shouldn't be a franchise. I think his reputation is inflated at this point. If Rodon is there at three and he's the BPA in the Sox's eyes, I am all for pulling the trigger. The difference between 1-3 slot money and 1-1 slot money isn't huge like when Appel fell to 1-8.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 09:11 AM)
This weeks stat update:

Carlos Rodon - 6 IP 4H 1R 1ER 3BB 5K

Season - 7 GS 2.09 ERA 47.1 IP 37H 24R 11ER 18BB 55K

Tyler Beede - 5 IP 5H 3R 3ER 3BB 4K

Season - 7 GS 2.47 ERA 40 IP 25H 20R 11ER 14BB 46K

Jeff Hoffman - 7 IP 6H 2R 2ER 1BB 6K

Season - 7 GS 3.80 ERA 45IP 35H 22R 19ER 18BB 45K

Sean Newcomb - 7 IP 0H 0R 0ER 4BB 8K

Season - 6 GS 0.00 ERA 39.2IP 14H 1R 0ER 19BB 46K

Brady Aiken struck out 10 in 5IP in his start last week.

Thanks for these updates Iowa.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 09:14 AM)
If the Sox refuse to deal with Scott Boras at all, they shouldn't be a franchise. I think his reputation is inflated at this point. If Rodon is there at three and he's the BPA in the Sox's eyes, I am all for pulling the trigger. The difference between 1-3 slot money and 1-1 slot money isn't huge like when Appel fell to 1-8.

The real risk for the Sox is passing on Rodon and him going to the Cubs a pick later and becoming David Price. This draft will be forever held under a microscope if the Sox get a bust and the Cubs get a star. The Sox are getting a good player, any of the 5-6 pitchers seem to have ML floors as at least bullpen arms. I think Beede probably has the highest floor, but his ceiling is probably a two or three. Rodon, Hoffman, and Kolek probably have floors as bullpen guys but ceilings as #1's. Aiken, I am not sure what is floor would be. He has three good to really good pitches plus a developing cutter, but his floor is probably MiLB starter and a ceiling as high or higher than anyone else in the draft.

Based on what we have heard from various sources the draft would go:

1. Houston - Rodon

2. Miami - Kolek

3. White Sox - Hoffman

4. Cubs - Beede

This was before Aiken really blew up, but I haven't seen any team firmly attached to him yet.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
The real risk for the Sox is passing on Rodon and him going to the Cubs a pick later and becoming David Price. This draft will be forever held under a microscope if the Sox get a bust and the Cubs get a star. The Sox are getting a good player, any of the 5-6 pitchers seem to have ML floors as at least bullpen arms. I think Beede probably has the highest floor, but his ceiling is probably a two or three. Rodon, Hoffman, and Kolek probably have floors as bullpen guys but ceilings as #1's. Aiken, I am not sure what is floor would be. He has three good to really good pitches plus a developing cutter, but his floor is probably MiLB starter and a ceiling as high or higher than anyone else in the draft.

Based on what we have heard from various sources the draft would go:

1. Houston - Rodon

2. Miami - Kolek

3. White Sox - Hoffman

4. Cubs - Beede

This was before Aiken really blew up, but I haven't seen any team firmly attached to him yet.

I think we should be more concerned with what the Twins do at #5 than what the Cubs do at #4.

I would say that list is fairly accurate with Aiken being a big time wildcard. Also if the Astros select anyone but Rodon the draft just suddenly got veryyyy interesting.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)
I think we should be more concerned with what the Twins do at #5 than what the Cubs do at #4.

I would say that list is fairly accurate with Aiken being a big time wildcard. Also if the Astros select anyone but Rodon the draft just suddenly got veryyyy interesting.

I agree we should be more concerned with that, but the media will make a much bigger deal of a Cubs success and Sox flop than they will care anything about what the Twins do. It would also make Cubs fans even more unbearable.

The Twins are probably sitting pretty good with their choice of Jackson, Grant Holmes, and the pitcher that slips to them. I think Jackson would be the favorite as he would give them two potential stud OF's, and it seems they have been targeting the best prep player available at their pick the last few drafts.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 09:14 AM)

Straw man argument, man.

I never suggested otherwise. IF Rodon at #3 is the proverbial BPA, then you take him. Without a doubt.

But that wasn't my hypothetical. IF Rodon at #3 is plus or minus considered the same tier of prospect with two or three other guys, then all sorts of factors enter into what breaks the tie, one certainly being any "baggage" that he comes with.

It's nice macho chest-thumping and all to say, screw Boras, I'm not scared of him, but disregard of history and practices is negligence per se. He's baggage and I'm certain that attorney/owner JR considers him just that. Deal with him if he's representing our guy, but consider his involvement a negative when breaking ties.

Obviously, just my opinion, but Boras is as much of a known quantity as anything in baseball.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 11:26 AM)
I agree we should be more concerned with that, but the media will make a much bigger deal of a Cubs success and Sox flop than they will care anything about what the Twins do. It would also make Cubs fans even more unbearable.

The Twins are probably sitting pretty good with their choice of Jackson, Grant Holmes, and the pitcher that slips to them. I think Jackson would be the favorite as he would give them two potential stud OF's, and it seems they have been targeting the best prep player available at their pick the last few drafts.

If Bryant ends up in LF, that would give them 3 with Almora and the pick. Four, with Soler.

Assuming he (Bryant) stays at 3B, unless Olt has a HUGE breakout season. Guess anything's possible.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
If Bryant ends up in LF, that would give them 3 with Almora and the pick. Four, with Soler.

Assuming he (Bryant) stays at 3B, unless Olt has a HUGE breakout season. Guess anything's possible.

I was saying the Twins could take Jackson to pair with Buxton. The Cubs are going pitching all the way at four.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)
Straw man argument, man.

I never suggested otherwise. IF Rodon at #3 is the proverbial BPA, then you take him. Without a doubt.

But that wasn't my hypothetical. IF Rodon at #3 is plus or minus considered the same tier of prospect with two or three other guys, then all sorts of factors enter into what breaks the tie, one certainly being any "baggage" that he comes with.

It's nice macho chest-thumping and all to say, screw Boras, I'm not scared of him, but disregard of history and practices is negligence per se. He's baggage and I'm certain that attorney/owner JR considers him just that. Deal with him if he's representing our guy, but consider his involvement a negative when breaking ties.

Obviously, just my opinion, but Boras is as much of a known quantity as anything in baseball.

Please post more often.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
I was saying the Twins could take Jackson to pair with Buxton. The Cubs are going pitching all the way at four.

Well, they think they have a keeper in Hicks, although he only hit .192 last year, he showed flashes offensively and defensively.

Probably too big of a jump for him.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)
Straw man argument, man.

I'm sorry Cy, I must of misunderstood your point. At this point, there is no evidence that Rodon would be a tougher sign than a HS player, comparatively. As far as I can tell, Appel is the only college player picked in the top half of the 1st round to not sign with his drafting team.

However, I am not sticking my head in the sand about Boras or the entire flawed draft process. I am sure the White Sox will reach out to Boras about the possibility of signing Rodon. If it's not a fit financially, there seems to be other prospects in his tier that would be available at our position. Signability is definitely a variable that the Sox have to consider and I am sure they are doing their due diligence. If there is a chance he wouldn't sign with us, I feel confident we have other great options.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)
Straw man argument, man.

As Caulfield said, please post more. Seems like you've got some good insight and opinions to share.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
The real risk for the Sox is passing on Rodon and him going to the Cubs a pick later and becoming David Price. This draft will be forever held under a microscope if the Sox get a bust and the Cubs get a star.

I would argue that this is the farthest thing from a "real risk" that has been presented in this thread.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 04:02 AM)
It's way too early to project Erik Johnson as a 2. Most would be pretty happy with a 3/4 guy. And no idea if Danish can stick as a starter quite yet.

And, of course, there's always the issue of John Danks to consider going forward.

This was more a product of our rotation being very left handed and danish coming up and being broken in at the back end. In all honesty though I think Johnson has the capability of a #2 but will be a mid rotation starter, which will be great.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 09:11 AM)
This weeks stat update:

Carlos Rodon - 6 IP 4H 1R 1ER 3BB 5K

Season - 7 GS 2.09 ERA 47.1 IP 37H 24R 11ER 18BB 55K

Tyler Beede - 5 IP 5H 3R 3ER 3BB 4K

Season - 7 GS 2.47 ERA 40 IP 25H 20R 11ER 14BB 46K

Jeff Hoffman - 7 IP 6H 2R 2ER 1BB 6K

Season - 7 GS 3.80 ERA 45IP 35H 22R 19ER 18BB 45K

Sean Newcomb - 7 IP 0H 0R 0ER 4BB 8K

Season - 6 GS 0.00 ERA 39.2IP 14H 1R 0ER 19BB 46K

Brady Aiken struck out 10 in 5IP in his start last week.

Tyler Kolek last pitched on 3/21. Allowed his first hit (2) and ER. His numbers.

6.1 IP 2 H 1 R 1 ER 0 BB 13 SO

Season - 4 GS 0.31 ERA 22.1 IP 2H 1R 1ER 1BB 48SO

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 07:31 AM)
Definitely more of a PR/fan risk than an actual baseball risk.

I think it's one of those things that would get picked on if we sucked, but it would just be something else if not the draft anyway, you know? LIke if we just win, then it won't matter. If we lose, the fans will find something to hang their hat on regardless.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)
I think it's one of those things that would get picked on if we sucked, but it would just be something else if not the draft anyway, you know? LIke if we just win, then it won't matter. If we lose, the fans will find something to hang their hat on regardless.

WHERE'S OUR JUNIOR LAKE?

Considering the Cubs and their fans aren't teased about taking Mike Harkey one pick before Jack McDowell, or when they spend decades looking for a 3rd baseman, Ty Griffin one pick before Robin Ventura, I doubt the Sox or their fans will get any crap if the Cubs pick a star and the Sox a bust. This is however, pick #3 and the Sox probably don't plan on picking this high in the future, so there is a ton of pressure not to miss. They have to get something back for losing 99 games.

As long as he's not injured, if he slipped, Rondon is the guy. Don't pass it up. If he turns out as good as they said he would previously, if you drafted me every round the rest of the draft, it would be very successful. Don't try to save money for a guy who will top out in AA if you can get a guy that has perrenial all star stamped next to his name.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
Considering the Cubs and their fans aren't teased about taking Mike Harkey one pick before Jack McDowell, or when they spend decades looking for a 3rd baseman, Ty Griffin one pick before Robin Ventura, I doubt the Sox or their fans will get any crap if the Cubs pick a star and the Sox a bust. This is however, pick #3 and the Sox probably don't plan on picking this high in the future, so there is a ton of pressure not to miss. They have to get something back for losing 99 games.

As long as he's not injured, if he slipped, Rondon is the guy. Don't pass it up. If he turns out as good as they said he would previously, if you drafted me every round the rest of the draft, it would be very successful. Don't try to save money for a guy who will top out in AA if you can get a guy that has perrenial all star stamped next to his name.

I'm with you. Never pass on a potential left handed all star pitcher.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)

Couldn't agree more. The 2010 draft was incredibly successful with Chris Sale alone, never mind any future contributions from Jake Petricka or Matt Davidson (thru Addison Reed, who was taken in the 3rd). I'm guessing not many people care that Jose Ramos, the 20th round pick that year, was not very good playing professional baseball.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
Couldn't agree more. The 2010 draft was incredibly successful with Chris Sale alone, never mind any future contributions from Jake Petricka or Matt Davidson (thru Addison Reed, who was taken in the 3rd). I'm guessing not many people care that Jose Ramos, the 20th round pick that year, was not very good playing professional baseball.

That's why the Sox likely will be taking some more college seniors than usual in the first 10 rounds. Easy signs, low bonuses to offset the higher bonus that whomever we take at No. 3 will command.