2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (gatnom @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
Am I the only one who views this as kind of a bad thing?

Yeah, you have to wonder if he's pushing too hard, trying to get the highest draft position with the loudest tool of pitching.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watching the Hoffman game, he looks really good 11 k's in 5. Thing is, the defense playing behind him is as brutal as that one scout said. Don't put much stock in his mediocre numbers, this guy looks the part of a top-of-the-rotation starter, imo.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 06:56 PM)
16k's for Hoffman through 8. Trainer and manager came out in the 7th, but Hoffman waved them away before they got to the mound. Hoffman can really repeat his delivery. Broadcast says KW is there.

Certainly the kind of night that shows why Hoffman was considered a possible 1-1 before the season started. Middle Tenn is not exactly a powerhouse (though Dewon Brazelton pitched there), but it is nice to see that kind of domination.

You got to think at least one of Aiken & Kolek goes 1-1/1-2, which would make Hoffman or Rodon available at our pick. I'll be extremely happy with either of those guys. I just don't want Beede at 1-3, he doesn't have the ceiling to warrant such a high pick IMO. Would prefer either of the two HS arms if it came down to it, although I think Hahn is all about the college arms.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 05:31 PM)
Kiley McDaniel ‏@kileymcd 41s

ECU righty Jeff Hoffman has been 95-97 early on tonight w/heat in the building from both Chicago clubs, including Theo Epstein & Jed Hoyer.

Expand

Wasting their time and money. I think, all things considered, Hoffman is #1 on the Sox board and there's no way he'll get by them.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 10:14 PM)
A week ago no one wanted Hoffman and he was a fringe top-10 guy. Now everyone is cool with taking him #3. lol. I'm kind of excited not only for the draft, but just to get these yes-no-yes-maybe-yes-meh-no-yes conversations over with.

I've been uneasy about some of the numbers overall, but I don't think I've ever disliked him. All of the top guys in the top 4 - Rodon, Kolek, Hoffman, and Aiken (don't even feel it's necessary to mention Beede anymore) - have had some concerns overall this season.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 10:14 PM)
A week ago no one wanted Hoffman and he was a fringe top-10 guy. Now everyone is cool with taking him #3. lol. I'm kind of excited not only for the draft, but just to get these yes-no-yes-maybe-yes-meh-no-yes conversations over with.

I have wanted Hoffman the entire time.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 11:28 PM)
Rodon is such a vastly better prospect in almost every regard. If he can be had, I'll have him.

Agreed. I think the concerns about Rodon all year have been really overstated. It's nice to see Hoffman really putting it together. He has to be the #2 target behind Rodon. His upside is just so huge that it would be hard to take the risk on a HS arm over him.

QUOTE (shakes @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
Agreed. I think the concerns about Rodon all year have been really overstated. It's nice to see Hoffman really putting it together. He has to be the #2 target behind Rodon. His upside is just so huge that it would be hard to take the risk on a HS arm over him.

Scott Boras as his agent and/or advisor simply cannot be overstated, and it is absolutely a concern. Unlike college seniors, Rodon has leverage still as a junior, and if he's requesting #1 overall money no matter what and he won't sign otherwise, and the Sox feel he'll need a year or two in the minors (so they can't do the fast track thing), then it becomes incredibly tricky to figure that out.

While I really like Beede in the first for us at 3 I really like SC-HS RHP Grant Holmes, FSU RHP Luke Weaver, and TX-HS RHP Michael Kopech later on in the 2nd or 3rd. While Beede can be Sale-like in the sense that he can arrive this year or in 2015 the other 3 or likely projects that may take a few years and pay-off in the long run. I'd really like a 2015 rotation of Sale, Beede, Quintana, Danks, and Johnson.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
While I really like Beede in the first for us at 3 I really like SC-HS RHP Grant Holmes, FSU RHP Luke Weaver, and TX-HS RHP Michael Kopech later on in the 2nd or 3rd. While Beede can be Sale-like in the sense that he can arrive this year or in 2015 the other 3 or likely projects that may take a few years and pay-off in the long run. I'd really like a 2015 rotation of Sale, Beede, Quintana, Danks, and Johnson.

Beede definitely is up there in terms of safest to reach the majors, but his ceiling is limited with his erratic control. Most scouts I've read have profiled him as a #3 starter in a major league rotation. I would ecstatic about that if we were picking in the middle of the first round, but with the 3rd overall pick and potential aces available, I want to go for it.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 11:31 AM)
If the 1-1 and 1-2 went Rodon and Kolek, who would people want at 3 - Aiken or Hoffman?

That's really tough. I personally would prefer Aiken, but I think the Sox prefer Hoffman because he will be ready to help the big league club sooner than Aiken would.