2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (LDF @ May 2, 2014 -> 07:15 PM)
with ref to boras, yes he tries to max out the money for his clients, but doesn't mean that the sox org nor the

fans have to like how he does things.

for us, the Monday morning QB so to speak, who enjoys talking baseball will venture to say, why deal with him,

esp if we might not sign him. the idea of letting a really good or better player go, b/c of certain circumstances

is not the right way to get this ship, the sox farm, with quality players.

If the white sox don't draft him because they don't like how he does business...that hurts Rodon at least as much as it does the White Sox, if not more.

The slot bonuses decline that fast.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is great to think your 2nd-10th round picks will be good players, but the reality is of all the players the White Sox have drafted this century, 3 have career WARs over 6.2. Sale, Gio, and Chris Young. The guy with the 6.2 is Ryan Sweeney.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 2, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
First off, Boras cannot directly negotiate with the White Sox or whichever team makes the selection or Mr. Rodon doesn't have the option of returning to pitch in college.

Playing hardball has worked for some and screwed others. I was reading where Houston offered Appel $6 million the year before, and he said no. The Pirates drafted him and offered him $3.8 which of course was turned down. He ultimately signs with Houston the next year for $6.35 million. So losing a year of pro ball, he did gain $350k, but is probably a year behind in development, if not more. It could cost him an extra year to arbitration which make the risk of return pretty stupid. I think if JR and Hahn talk to this kid and his parents, or any team for that matter, they can show that being picked in the top 3 and not signing really makes little sense. The risk far outweighs the reward.

Reminds me of when the Rockies had a very high draft pick about 10 years or so ago. A kid named Harrington I believe, a pitcher out of high school. Rox drafted him early in first round and offered a substatial contract, several million, and his dad was the agent and he turned it down, So he goes to a JC, had a good freshman year, and was drafted by someone else late first round and they turned down the lesser amount. Year 3 saw him get drafted in a lower round, and they turned it down. Then, he gets hurt, never played organized ball. Greed is not always good.

After my above post, I did some research. Name is Matt Harrington, 7th overall pick in 2000, offered $5mm (higher than Josh Hamilton received), turned it down, Next year drafted by San Diego in second round, offered $2.1 (Boros was now his agent). He was drafted three more times, never signed, a record. Now there is the story for Hahn and JR to tell his parents.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 2, 2014 -> 06:44 PM)
It is great to think your 2nd-10th round picks will be good players, but the reality is of all the players the White Sox have drafted this century, 3 have career WARs over 6.2. Sale, Gio, and Chris Young. The guy with the 6.2 is Ryan Sweeney.

It is ignorant of history to think that you can just give away your draft. Even the great Ditka failed there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)
It is ignorant of history to think that you can just give away your draft. Even the great Ditka failed there.

Because the NFL draft is similar to the MLB draft.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 3, 2014 -> 01:51 AM)
The way the big league staff looks right now, the Sox will have no choice but to deal with Boras if Rodon is there at three. No way they can justify taking a high school arm over him.

+1

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)

Now you are comparing the NFL draft with the MLB draft?

The last 14 drafts, the Sox have drafted and signed 4 players total with a higher career WAR than Ryan Sweeney. Just think about that for a minute.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 2, 2014 -> 06:51 PM)
The way the big league staff looks right now, the Sox will have no choice but to deal with Boras if Rodon is there at three. No way they can justify taking a high school arm over him.

Straight to the big leagues, son. He'll make history - sign at slot.

Hoffman is supposed to start again May 9th, FWIW. I'm going to side with those arguing that, even in a perfect world, there would be no way to control Rodon's rights after Year 6. You certainly don't pin your entire draft on Rodon.

If Cooper thinks Hoffman has the more repeatable delivery (he's changed his head movement a lot beginning in the 2013 Cape Cold League) and the slider/elbow ligament tear concerns are legit (about Rodon), then the White Sox should take Hoffman if he proves to be 100% healthy in his May 9th start as well as the subsequent one.

In a perfect world, they can take Finnegan or Freeland with their 2nd pick, but doubt both would slide that far...maybe Finnegan with the injury concerns at the moment.

Write-up at the Phillies' fan site....good stuff

http://www.thegoodphight.com/2014/1/16/531...eff-hoffman-rhp

Rodon: Yeah, I hit some home runs in high school. Sophomore year (at Holly Springs), a down year in pitching, I hit four. I was an all right hitter, I guess. I wasn’t a bad hitter. I just wasn’t developed like these guys on our team that really can hit. They’re just on a different level. I just wasn’t there.

Q: So what’s a cooler feeling: Hitting a home run or striking out 10?

Rodon: I would say hitting a home run. (He laughs). Chicks dig the long ball.

Q: Better arm, you or Russell?

Rodon: Russell Wilson?

Q: Yeah.

Rodon: Really?

Q: Yeah, better arm, who’s got it?

Rodon: I think I do.

Q: What about throwing a football?

Rodon: I think it might be close actually.

Q: How far can you throw it?

Rodon: I haven’t really tried it in a while, but I’ve always been able to throw a football pretty well. I might have the arm strength, but he’s an amazing quarterback.

Q: Hitters get walk-up songs. Closers get them. Starters rarely do. What would be yours?

Rodon: We actually do get a walk-up song here, first inning. Not sure yet. We’re still trying to figure that out.

Q: You going country?

Rodon: No, we’re not going country. We’re more of a soul-ly, R&B, kind of slow song.

Q: To lull the hitters into the 96?

Rodon: (Laughing) Yeah, catch them off guard.

Q: Saw on Twitter where you bought a nice fish tank. Any symbolism there, considering you’re pretty much living in one?

Rodon: (More laughter). I never really thought about it that way. Leave it up to the writers to think about it that way, but no, I’ve always liked fishing. My dad used to have them all the time. It’s just something that’s just a hobby that I’ve always done and I just love doing it.

Q: You watch the show Tanked?

Rodon: Yeah, I do watch that show. That’s a cool show.

Q: Is a high-end specialty tank going to be the first purchase with the signing bonus?

Rodon: Maybe in a couple of years from now, who knows, if everything goes right.

Q: Do you name your fish?

Rodon: Yeah, actually I do have some names for some of them. I actually have a clam. I have names for everything. My girlfriend names them, usually. I have one black clown fish and his name is Marlin. I used to have a lot of other fish names, but they all passed away. I’ve had Marlin for two years.

(Rodon takes out his phone and proudly shows off a photo of “Clammy,” his pet clam.)

Q:You get an off day, no obligations, completely free day, what are you doing?

Rodon: Probably fishing.

Q: Got a spot?

Rodon: I got a lot of spots, and I don’t give them up.

Q: What was your role in Brett Austin’s twerking video? Did you have a role?

Rodon: (Long pause.) Oh, I did not have a role in that Vine. I did not have any sort of role in that Vine, and I am glad I did not.

Q: Did you coach him up afterward?

Rodon: No. I thought it was, um, interesting.

Q: Baseball question: Pitchers have to evolve. What’s different this year?

Rodon: Last year it was all two-seam (fastballs). Now I’ve been throwing four-seams in, two-seams away, getting that run. Changeup ...

Q: You went 10-3 with a school-record 184 strikeouts, dominated late in the season, got to Omaha. How can you possibly be better this year?

Rodon: Just me? I mean, you can get better at everything. Nobody’s perfect. I’ve been working on the changeup. Just to have another pitch in your arsenal. Just really getting comfortable with it. ... My goal is to win every time I get out there. So if I don’t win every time, then I’m not the best I can be. Clearly.

Q: How many times have you asked coach Elliott Avent to let you pitch that mid-week game against North Carolina?

Rodon: Actually, I have not asked him. I’m interested to see who they pitch and who we pitch. I can assure you it’s not going to be me.

Q: It’s one thing to be the face of N.C. State baseball. But you’re the face of Team USA. What’s that like?

Rodon: Always great representing your country. My freshman year I had the pleasure of going to Cuba, and I’m of Cuban descent, so it was a cool experience. Americans don’t get to go back to Cuba, and my dad definitely won’t go back to Cuba. Or my grandfather. They don’t want to go. But it was a great opportunity. It was a beautiful place. The Cuban people are amazing people. ...

I’ve had some really neat experiences with USA, and there’s nothing like it, when we played in Durham and had that great showing when we played Cuba. There’s some emotions there ... same thing with (facing) Japan.

Q: The 2011 draft didn’t exactly go as planned. You were taken a little later than many thought (16th round, Milwaukee), the money wasn’t quite right, etc. How much does that draft day still motivate you?

Rodon: I thought I was a good player, but you never know in that situation as a high school ballplayer. You could get drafted in the first round or the 45th round, you never know. It was definite motivation. I used it to make me better. I thought I was better than that. Luckily it ended up in a good way. I’m glad I’m at N.C. State and had all of these opportunities to make myself better.

Q: Could you step into a major league rotation and help somebody in August?

Rodon: That’s a tough question, but, yeah, I believe so. I believe I could do it right now.

Q: Looking forward to getting another shot at Jameis Winston?

Rodon: Yeah, he’s a good ballplayer, I guess. He’s a better football player. Just real raw talent. Should be fun to face the Heisman Trophy-slash-national champion. ... I just remember the guys that will get me. I really don’t remember his at-bats against me. But I’ve seen him pitch before and that’s something else to watch. That’s something to see.

Q: Pat Burrell was the No. 1 pick in the 1998 draft. He always wanted to pitch, and his coach promised him he could start the 1999 season opener, knowing he’d be gone. What could Elliott do to bring you back for your senior year?

Rodon: (Immediate laughter.) Play center field. Probably something like that. Hit second or third.

Q: In the ACC, we’ve had some great pitchers come through here, No. 1 picks like Paul Wilson, Kris Benson, guys like Matt Harvey. How important is it for you to join that rotation?

Rodon: That’s a pretty prestigious list. To be on a list with Matt Harvey would be pretty cool, but really, I couldn’t care less.

I want to be on the list that we won the College World Series. That’s the list I want to be on.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/02/28/366...l#storylink=cpy

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2014 -> 03:35 AM)
Hoffman is supposed to start again May 9th, FWIW. I'm going to side with those arguing that, even in a perfect world, there would be no way to control Rodon's rights after Year 6. You certainly don't pin your entire draft on Rodon.

If Cooper thinks Hoffman has the more repeatable delivery (he's changed his head movement a lot beginning in the 2013 Cape Cold League) and the slider/elbow ligament tear concerns are legit (about Rodon), then the White Sox should take Hoffman if he proves to be 100% healthy in his May 9th start as well as the subsequent one.

In a perfect world, they can take Finnegan or Freeland with their 2nd pick, but doubt both would slide that far...maybe Finnegan with the injury concerns at the moment.

Write-up at the Phillies' fan site....good stuff

http://www.thegoodphight.com/2014/1/16/531...eff-hoffman-rhp

Rodon: Yeah, I hit some home runs in high school. Sophomore year (at Holly Springs), a down year in pitching, I hit four. I was an all right hitter, I guess. I wasn’t a bad hitter. I just wasn’t developed like these guys on our team that really can hit. They’re just on a different level. I just wasn’t there.

Q: So what’s a cooler feeling: Hitting a home run or striking out 10?

Rodon: I would say hitting a home run. (He laughs). Chicks dig the long ball.

Q: Better arm, you or Russell?

Rodon: Russell Wilson?

Q: Yeah.

Rodon: Really?

Q: Yeah, better arm, who’s got it?

Rodon: I think I do.

Q: What about throwing a football?

Rodon: I think it might be close actually.

Q: How far can you throw it?

Rodon: I haven’t really tried it in a while, but I’ve always been able to throw a football pretty well. I might have the arm strength, but he’s an amazing quarterback.

Q: Hitters get walk-up songs. Closers get them. Starters rarely do. What would be yours?

Rodon: We actually do get a walk-up song here, first inning. Not sure yet. We’re still trying to figure that out.

Q: You going country?

Rodon: No, we’re not going country. We’re more of a soul-ly, R&B, kind of slow song.

Q: To lull the hitters into the 96?

Rodon: (Laughing) Yeah, catch them off guard.

Q: Saw on Twitter where you bought a nice fish tank. Any symbolism there, considering you’re pretty much living in one?

Rodon: (More laughter). I never really thought about it that way. Leave it up to the writers to think about it that way, but no, I’ve always liked fishing. My dad used to have them all the time. It’s just something that’s just a hobby that I’ve always done and I just love doing it.

Q: You watch the show Tanked?

Rodon: Yeah, I do watch that show. That’s a cool show.

Q: Is a high-end specialty tank going to be the first purchase with the signing bonus?

Rodon: Maybe in a couple of years from now, who knows, if everything goes right.

Q: Do you name your fish?

Rodon: Yeah, actually I do have some names for some of them. I actually have a clam. I have names for everything. My girlfriend names them, usually. I have one black clown fish and his name is Marlin. I used to have a lot of other fish names, but they all passed away. I’ve had Marlin for two years.

(Rodon takes out his phone and proudly shows off a photo of “Clammy,” his pet clam.)

Q:You get an off day, no obligations, completely free day, what are you doing?

Rodon: Probably fishing.

Q: Got a spot?

Rodon: I got a lot of spots, and I don’t give them up.

Q: What was your role in Brett Austin’s twerking video? Did you have a role?

Rodon: (Long pause.) Oh, I did not have a role in that Vine. I did not have any sort of role in that Vine, and I am glad I did not.

Q: Did you coach him up afterward?

Rodon: No. I thought it was, um, interesting.

Q: Baseball question: Pitchers have to evolve. What’s different this year?

Rodon: Last year it was all two-seam (fastballs). Now I’ve been throwing four-seams in, two-seams away, getting that run. Changeup ...

Q: You went 10-3 with a school-record 184 strikeouts, dominated late in the season, got to Omaha. How can you possibly be better this year?

Rodon: Just me? I mean, you can get better at everything. Nobody’s perfect. I’ve been working on the changeup. Just to have another pitch in your arsenal. Just really getting comfortable with it. ... My goal is to win every time I get out there. So if I don’t win every time, then I’m not the best I can be. Clearly.

Q: How many times have you asked coach Elliott Avent to let you pitch that mid-week game against North Carolina?

Rodon: Actually, I have not asked him. I’m interested to see who they pitch and who we pitch. I can assure you it’s not going to be me.

Q: It’s one thing to be the face of N.C. State baseball. But you’re the face of Team USA. What’s that like?

Rodon: Always great representing your country. My freshman year I had the pleasure of going to Cuba, and I’m of Cuban descent, so it was a cool experience. Americans don’t get to go back to Cuba, and my dad definitely won’t go back to Cuba. Or my grandfather. They don’t want to go. But it was a great opportunity. It was a beautiful place. The Cuban people are amazing people. ...

I’ve had some really neat experiences with USA, and there’s nothing like it, when we played in Durham and had that great showing when we played Cuba. There’s some emotions there ... same thing with (facing) Japan.

Q: The 2011 draft didn’t exactly go as planned. You were taken a little later than many thought (16th round, Milwaukee), the money wasn’t quite right, etc. How much does that draft day still motivate you?

Rodon: I thought I was a good player, but you never know in that situation as a high school ballplayer. You could get drafted in the first round or the 45th round, you never know. It was definite motivation. I used it to make me better. I thought I was better than that. Luckily it ended up in a good way. I’m glad I’m at N.C. State and had all of these opportunities to make myself better.

Q: Could you step into a major league rotation and help somebody in August?

Rodon: That’s a tough question, but, yeah, I believe so. I believe I could do it right now.

Q: Looking forward to getting another shot at Jameis Winston?

Rodon: Yeah, he’s a good ballplayer, I guess. He’s a better football player. Just real raw talent. Should be fun to face the Heisman Trophy-slash-national champion. ... I just remember the guys that will get me. I really don’t remember his at-bats against me. But I’ve seen him pitch before and that’s something else to watch. That’s something to see.

Q: Pat Burrell was the No. 1 pick in the 1998 draft. He always wanted to pitch, and his coach promised him he could start the 1999 season opener, knowing he’d be gone. What could Elliott do to bring you back for your senior year?

Rodon: (Immediate laughter.) Play center field. Probably something like that. Hit second or third.

Q: In the ACC, we’ve had some great pitchers come through here, No. 1 picks like Paul Wilson, Kris Benson, guys like Matt Harvey. How important is it for you to join that rotation?

Rodon: That’s a pretty prestigious list. To be on a list with Matt Harvey would be pretty cool, but really, I couldn’t care less.

I want to be on the list that we won the College World Series. That’s the list I want to be on.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/02/28/366...l#storylink=cpy

Hmmm, and he's Cuban. I hope he's ours at 1-3.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 3, 2014 -> 06:29 AM)
Hmmm, and he's Cuban. I hope he's ours at 1-3.

Rodon has received some mixed reviews so far this spring. Though he has racked up outstanding strikeout totals, there are times when he has deterred from the plan at hand and been a little inconsistent. That would explain why he has a 4.20 earned-run average despite having 83 strikeouts, 23 walks, and with teams only hitting him at a .189 clip.

From the standpoint of N.C. State coach Elliott Avent, there's a good and logical reason why Rodon has been up and down at times.

"Here's what we think. Carlos threw 114 2/3 innings last year, then he went off to play at Team USA. You can't turn down Team USA when you have a chance to play in Cuba, where his family heritage is from," Avent said. "With that said, we had the full intention to shut him down last summer, but he ended up with Team USA.

"Because of his stint with Team USA, we needed to shut him down in the fall. And possibly, if we had to do it again, we wouldn't have done that. We would've gotten him going a little earlier," he continued. "His arm wasn't in as good of shape entering the season. And on top of that, the weather up here has been brutally cold for the most part. Now, it's getting warmer and he's starting to be him again."

Rodon was on display last Friday when the Wolfpack played host to hard-hitting Virginia Tech. Though Rodon finished the game allowing five runs (three earned) on six hits in 5 2/3 innings of work, there's no doubt he showed flashes of greatness with elite stuff.

Rodon was consistently 91-94 with his fastball, but also dipped down to 88-89 with that pitch some innings. The talented left-hander was still touching 94 on my radar gun when he left the game in the sixth inning.

Otherwise, Rodon was consistently 83-85 with a sometimes very sharp slider, while he also threw a few 77-80 changeups.

Rodon, at least not yet, may not be to the level he was as a freshman last season. However, it's also true that his so-called intense struggles are greatly exaggerated.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=8271

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 2, 2014 -> 09:50 PM)
Now you are comparing the NFL draft with the MLB draft?

The last 14 drafts, the Sox have drafted and signed 4 players total with a higher career WAR than Ryan Sweeney. Just think about that for a minute.

And that narrow focus completely ignores the fact a massive part of our roster consists of guys who we drafted, and then traded, to get the guys who are on our roster. It would be nice if you would actually acknowledge the franchise literally would be lost without those trades. There would be no Garcia, no Eaton, no Davidson, no John Danks, etc.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 2, 2014 -> 09:04 PM)
You were comparing apples to oranges.

History isn't comparing anything. It is acknowledgement of the fact that this has NEVER been done in all of MLB history.

The next question is WHY.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2014 -> 09:02 AM)
History isn't comparing anything. It is acknowledgement of the fact that this has NEVER been done in all of MLB history.

The next question is WHY.

Because the bonus caps have existed for two years. It is a brand new system. We haven't had an agent try to test the system in the way Boras might try to do with Rodon if he slips to third overall. Last year, he had Appel and Bryant who went 1-2. This year, Boras wants 1-1 money for Rodon likely who might be going third overall.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Or the other way to deal with this Rodon/Boras issue is this...

The day of the draft, make an announcement that in that interval between picks, the White Sox offered him $6 million, 10% over slot...15% over slot, whatever.

And it was turned down.

That way, at least the fanbase would understand why Hahn wasn't willing to destroy the entire draft for a franchise badly in need of more talent and depth across the board.

If Epstein were to make that same gamble (putting all of his eggs into one basket) and Rodon quickly blows out his elbow with the Cubs' entire draft being predicated on him turning out more like Mauer and less like Prior, that would be a tough one to recover from as GM.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)
Or the other way to deal with this Rodon/Boras issue is this...

The day of the draft, make an announcement that in that interval between picks, the White Sox offered him $6 million, 10% over slot...15% over slot, whatever.

And it was turned down.

That way, at least the fanbase would understand why Hahn wasn't willing to destroy the entire draft for a franchise badly in need of more talent and depth across the board.

If Epstein were to make that same gamble (putting all of his eggs into one basket) and Rodon quickly blows out his elbow with the Cubs' entire draft being predicated on him turning out more like Mauer and less like Prior, that would be a tough one to recover from as GM.

Everyone keeps saying this would be against the rules.

And besides, the fraction of the fanbase who has heard of any of these guys is

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)
Everyone keeps saying this would be against the rules.

And besides, the fraction of the fanbase who has heard of any of these guys is

Still, I'm sure there's no way the MLBPA could prevent it if a story "on background without specific attribution/sources" came out the next day simply naming "an unidentified source in the White Sox organization."

Would they (the player's association) call that reporter in and force him to reveal the source or threaten to sue?

How is it any different than Illitch/Dombrowski making public all of the negotiations with Scherzer...simply because he's already "property" of the Tigers' organization, as opposed to a "free agent"?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
Still, I'm sure there's no way the MLBPA could prevent it if a story "on background without specific attribution/sources" came out the next day simply naming "an unidentified source in the White Sox organization."

Would they (the player's association) call that reporter in and force him to reveal the source or threaten to sue?

How is it any different than Illitch/Dombrowski making public all of the negotiations with Scherzer...simply because he's already "property" of the Tigers' organization, as opposed to a "free agent"?

Because it seems there's a rule saying you're not allowed to negotiate with people before the draft, so coming out and saying that or even leaking that is like bragging about how you robbed the bank. If you're going to break the rule, at least shut up about it.

There's no rule about not negotiating with your own players. What you're suggesting is more akin to the White Sox coming out and saying that they made Scherzer a $200 million offer right now. That's against the rules and there would be penalties for doing so.