Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 05:51 PM)
Rangers Claim Rios – Trade Unlikley

Major League sources have confirmed that the Rangers claimed White Sox OF Alex Rios on trade waivers. The Rangers have until tomorrow to complete a trade for Rios, but sources say a deal is not likely. The two sides had multiple discussions before the non-waiver trade deadline but could not a agree on a deal. The White Sox were asking for Pitcher Martin Perez, Pitcher Luke Jackson and Infielder Rougned Odor – the Rangers were not interested in parting with those players for Rios.

In other trade news: former Ranger infielder Michael Young has cleared waivers. The Rangers discussed trading for Young before the Non-Waiver deadline in July, but there were significant differences among the baseball Rangers baseball personel about that potentional acquisition and they never got close to making a deal for Young.

The Rangers are still hoping that Lance Berkman will be able to return to the lineup in the next week to 10 days.

More on the website later.

This was on TR Sullivan's twitter account. TR Sullivan ‏@Sullivan_Ranger 2m

Rangers Claim Rios - Trade Unlikley http://wp.me/p1rXwL-8WMY

I would actually take 1 of Odor or Jackson in a heartbeat.

I think every declaration that it is "unlikely" is being based on the fact that it didn't get done before the deadline, and if Stone's statement that the Rangers expected Cruz to appeal is true, then you can tear every one of those statements up. The Rangers didn't need a RF at the deadline if they thought Cruz would appeal; they would have been filling their DH spot part of the time. Now the Rangers OF is much weaker than anyone thought it would be.

If I thought Cruz would appeal I wouldn't have given up anything of value for Rios at the deadline.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)

Major League sources have confirmed that the Rangers claimed White Sox OF Alex Rios on trade waivers. The Rangers have until tomorrow to complete a trade for Rios, but sources say a deal is not likely. The two sides had multiple discussions before the non-waiver trade deadline but could not a agree on a deal. The White Sox were asking for Pitcher Martin Perez, Pitcher Luke Jackson and Infielder Rougned Odor – the Rangers were not interested in parting with those players for Rios.

In other trade news: former Ranger infielder Michael Young has cleared waivers. The Rangers discussed trading for Young before the Non-Waiver deadline in July, but there were significant differences among the baseball Rangers baseball personel about that potentional acquisition and they never got close to making a deal for Young.

The Rangers are still hoping that Lance Berkman will be able to return to the lineup in the next week to 10 days.

That's such an insane overpay. I'd take Odor alone if they picked up the whole contract. I get that you have to start high, but asking for Perez is just wasting time.

Wow, Hahn shooting for a lot in Pitcher Martin Perez, Pitcher Luke Jackson and Infielder Rougned Odor. Hope this mini 3 game win streak isn't making the Sox brass think we are contenders next year and want to keep Rios.

That's a ridiculous asking price. Odor or Jackson alone should do it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 04:55 PM)
I think every declaration that it is "unlikely" is being based on the fact that it didn't get done before the deadline, and if Stone's statement that the Rangers expected Cruz to appeal is true, then you can tear every one of those statements up. The Rangers didn't need a RF at the deadline if they thought Cruz would appeal; they would have been filling their DH spot part of the time. Now the Rangers OF is much weaker than anyone thought it would be.

If I thought Cruz would appeal I wouldn't have given up anything of value for Rios at the deadline.

There is so much truth in this post. It is beautiful.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 04:59 PM)
Wow, Hahn shooting for a lot in Pitcher Martin Perez, Pitcher Luke Jackson and Infielder Rougned Odor. Hope this mini 3 game win streak isn't making the Sox brass think we are contenders next year and want to keep Rios.

Perez is a high price. Luke Jackson however is not.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 05:13 PM)
I'm not sold on the idea that Rios is going to generate a lot of interest in the off season trade market. That's highly speculative for a corner outfielder hitting .270 who will probably wind up with about 15 HR's and plenty of personal baggage.

Let him walk, Rick.

We dont know what we could get for him so let a productive bat and outfielder for nothing? Thats not going to happen. This is almost the same thing as making a trade for the sake of making it as some were suggesting before the trade deadline.

Edited by Baron

http://trsullivan.mlblogs.com/2013/08/08/r...trade-unlikley/ The two sides had multiple discussions before the non-waiver trade deadline but could not a agree on a deal. The White Sox were asking for Pitcher Martin Perez, Pitcher Luke Jackson and Infielder Rougned Odor – the Rangers were not interested in parting with those players for Rios.

Sorry Jimmy just saw you posted it already.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Luke Jackson is still a more famous basketball name, lol...

Well, at any rate, more of the "addition by subtraction" with Rios. Could care less about WAR or fWAR or any of those categories, the entire organization will be better off once he's moved along to greener pastures and out of the Sox's hair.

In the end, KW will look like he won the gamble back from 2009 in some ways, because he did get surprising value out of that contract without giving anything up, but it also helped to sabotage the 2009 and 2011 seasons quite well and stalled our momentum as an organization.

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
We dont know what we could get for him so let a productive bat and outfielder for nothing? Thats not going to happen. This is almost the same thing as making a trade for the sake of making it as some were suggesting before the trade deadline.

What are you talking about? I'm saying that pulling him back off waivers because you think you can get more for him in the off-season is a serious risk. And there's obviously a lot more to it than letting a productive bat walk; it's a significant salary dump as well.

In the end, KW will look like he won the gamble back from 2009 in some ways, because he did get surprising value out of that contract without giving anything up, but it also helped to sabotage the 2009 and 2011 seasons quite well and stalled our momentum as an organization.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 05:19 PM)
What are you talking about? I'm saying that pulling him back off waivers because you think you can get more for him in the off-season is a serious risk. And there's obviously a lot more to it than letting a productive bat walk; it's a significant salary dump as well.

You said let him walk. I'm saying thats silly and goes against what Rick Hahn talked about right after the trade deadline. Really it doesnt match up at all with their whole philosophy so far.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 05:13 PM)
I'm not sold on the idea that Rios is going to generate a lot of interest in the off season trade market. That's highly speculative for a corner outfielder hitting .270 who will probably wind up with about 15 HR's and plenty of personal baggage.

Let him walk, Rick.

Absolutely. They got Rios for salary relief to begin with. To not cut their losses and just let him go at this point would be wrong.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 06:19 PM)

It actually depends on whether or not the Rangers are prepared to make a fair offer. If the Rangers aren't prepared to make a fair offer right now, then there's very little risk in pulling him back. Worst case scenario we go into next season with him as our RF again. How terrible, a productive right fielder.

If the Rangers make a fair offer, then you're right there is definitely risk in expecting that offer to improve. The fit here really is perfect, but a perfect fit isn't necessarily a guarantee that the Rangers will do what I'd do if I were in their chair.

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 05:19 PM)
Remember when Hahn said we dont need to make anymore trades unless it makes sense and improves the team. Does that sound like letting Rios go for salary relief?

Sure. They have his replacement in AAA, and that is $17 million that could be spent on other players.

I wonder if Hahn tried setting teams up before the deadline, knowing all along they would take salary relief but asking for the moon so teams would think he wouldn't give him up without a huge return.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)

I don't think it's so simple, when you consider the disruptions to the 2009 and 2011 seasons (along with Dunn), clubhouse issues (rumored), attitude problems (some evident on the field, some rumored again, benchings by RV and Ozzie)...

There's his sheer physical talent, juxtaposed with his rather pedestrian statistical output, but there's no way to subtract all those other headaches from the black and white picture or the "back of his baseball card" to put it in KW terms.

And I know we've been throwing out numbers saying Rios and Ramirez are outperforming their contracts, but I would rather just let him go and start over, because 2014 is pretty much DOA.